Sur-Ron Light Bee - new owner experience

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sur-Ron Light Bee - new owner experience

So... I received my new e bike from FedEx today. The package arrived in good shape and the contents were packaged well and everything was in perfect order. It took about an hour to slowly unpack and assemble the bike. Note to use the cardboard top to protect the bike when installing the front wheel by flipping it upside-down. I received the upgraded magnesium forks at no charge which was a nice surprise. The bike went together well with no surprises. Note that I am very picky, and I have to say the bike did not have a single flaw that I noticed. The battery came with a 60% charge, so topping it off to 100% took only an hour or so. My first impression is very good. Taking a few quick runs around my neighborhood, I was able to hit 43 MPH indicated. Acceleration is appropriate, but more could always be used. To change the dash from KPH to MPH you just need to power it off and on with the little button depressed. The rear suspension spring comes unsprung, and will require a spanner wrench to add tension to properly adjust/set-up the rear suspension.

A bit about me... I'm a 48 year old guy that is 6'3" and weigh 250 lbs. I mention this because I was surprised to see 44 MPH. I purchased this more as a toy that anything, but am hoping my 13 year old son will want to ride it. As a kid I had a Honda XR 100 and currently own a 2007 Husqvarna TE 510 (dual sport on steroids). I would say the bike is ideally sized for someone 5'10" and weighing less than 200 LBS. That being said, it handled my mass pretty well.

I purchased a front fender for it, but the verdict is still out, as the way it attaches is suspect (weak). I also purchased two round "6000 lumen" five LED round lights to supplement the wide beam center light. We will see how that works. Ideally, I would like to use the lights to ride some deer trails along the river, and the lights would help a lot.

Note that my experience with Lunacycle was excellent. At $3500 this bike certainly isn't inexpensive, but it appears to be well built and performs well.

Update - to adjust the rear suspension sag (tighten the spring) you will need to order a spanner wrench that is smaller than the 68mm one I ordered. While I was able to tighten the spring, having the correct sized spanner would have made it an easier exercise.

Best,
    Chris
    Richmond, VA
    Last edited by TwoBurgers; 04-18-2018, 07:48 PM. Reason: updated top speed...

I've read a few comments elsewhere about lighting options for e-bikes and wanted to share what I came up with. As I said above, I added two round "6000 lumen" five-LED round lights to supplement the wide beam center light. Based on a 2K lumen spot light I use on my boat, I would say each handlebar mounted LED light will provide an additional 800 lumens to the stock light which would appear to be an honest 1200 lumens. The take away with all this lumen speak is that the supplemental round lights will provide ample night vision. The stock light provides a wide beam that is height limited, while the two round LED's light up a large area in front of the bike. The stock light is powered from the main battery, while the two auxiliary lights use remote rechargeable battery packs attached to the handlebars. As time permits, I may tap into the stock light wiring to negate the need for the battery packs. Also, I chose to have the lights "hang" from the bars versus have then sit on top of the bars. The lights are mounted using rubber bands which are less than ideal, but will work and allow for easy adjustability on the run. The lights were sourced via Amazon via a bike vendor.

Along with lighting, I added a front fender by Planet Bike. It's the Big Buck model and is size appropriate for the bike, but the mounting option is not the greatest. That being said, it has stayed in place during a few 40 mph rides so I will leave well enough alone. The rear component of the front fender (it is a two piece) is too large for the area available, so the horn and aluminum housing will remain unprotected. I added a few pics. The fender was sourced via Amazon via a bike vendor.
    Last edited by TwoBurgers; 04-11-2018, 07:51 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the detailed post and the helpful information! I have had mine for about 2 weeks and so far so good. The bike is a blast on flat or rolling terrain but struggles to make it up anything steep particularly from a stop. I am a new rider and already I am wishing for more torque! For the price it's really hard to beat though.

I would definitely recommend the upgraded forks as the default forks limit the turning radius a bit.

I am plan to install a front fender because I am getting mud and pebbles in my face as it is. I will post if I come up with a good solution.

A few questions if anyone can chime in:

- would it help to put a larger sprocket on the back to help with the torque at low speeds? Any recommendations.?

- I live in Maine and I am struggling to find places to ride. ATVs are welcome everywhere but motorcycles are definitely not. Are you riding on trails even if they don't allow motorcycles?

- does anyone know if there are any plans to offer performance upgrades? I would be interested! I am seriously considering an Alta EX--I can see electric motorcycles are so much fun! I am dying for more power and it would also be really useful to be able to ride on the road legally for a few miles to get to various trails. I would miss the low ride ride height of the Light Bee and the light frame though! Also it's quite possible I can ride this on Mountain biking trails and not get yelled at.

- what's the best battery charging strategy to ensure long term health of the battery?

Thanks!
      Last edited by NOOB-rider; 04-14-2018, 07:46 PM.

Comment

• TwoBurgers
        TwoBurgers commented
        Editing a comment
        I would definitely recommend the upgraded forks as the default forks limit the turning radius a bit.
        If you have the white forks, the rubber stops can be adjusted to the thin part to increase the turning a bit.

I am plan to install a front fender because I am getting mud and pebbles in my face as it is. I will post if I come up with a good solution.
        I saw a Chinese video - looked like the guy have the same fender I have. Small world.

A few questions if anyone can chime in:

- would it help to put a larger sprocket on the back to help with the torque at low speeds? Any recommendations.?
        Luna Cycles has a larger rear sprocket. When a sine wave controller is available, the motor will create more power. The idea is the larger rear sprocket will keep speeds at 45ish but deliver additional torque. The larger sprocket is available now.

- I live in Maine and I am struggling to find places to ride. ATVs are welcome everywhere but motorcycles are definitely not. Are you riding on trails even if they don't allow motorcycles? As a motorcycle rider, I had a plated dirt bike, so all forrest roads were open. I'm going to operate as if our bike is a bicycle. Easier to beg forgiveness vs ask permission. So far I have just been riding around my neighborhood.

- does anyone know if there are any plans to offer performance upgrades? I would be interested! I am seriously considering an Alta EX--I can see electric motorcycles are so much fun! I am dying for more power and it would also be really useful to be able to ride on the road legally for a few miles to get to various trails. I would miss the low ride ride height of the Light Bee and the light frame though! Also it's quite possible I can ride this on Mountain biking trails and not get yelled at.

- what's the best battery charging strategy to ensure long term health of the battery? Luna Cycles has some links... best to make the first charges 20% to full charge to help balance the cells. From there, it appears charging to 80% is ideal, and if you need 100% do that before you ride.

Hope this helps. So far I'm on my first charge - at 55%. At 20% I'll put it on the charger for a full cycle. My 5'8" girlfriend got on it today and it fit her well. Most people think it's a traditional motorcycle until I roll silently by. :)

Thoughts on making the rear brake light active. It should be doable, as the brake levers cut the motor power. I would think it would require a two way light (normal and bright) and a change in wiring. This is where my knowledge ends. Anyone interested in figuring this out and sharing with the group?

Also, and somewhat related, I thought I was experiencing a power/controller interrupt issue after a long run; however, what I was experiencing was that while on an incline I was using the brake to hold my position, I could not get the motor to engage with the throttle. After thinking a bit sometime later, I realized I had been cutting power when using the brake to hold position. Of course, this means if we have to stop on a hill we are screwed - unless we can turn perpindicular to the hill.

Chris
      Last edited by TwoBurgers; 04-20-2018, 04:37 AM. Reason: added content...

Comment

Hello there! I've never had experience with bikes and motorcycles, only had some experience with regular bicycles as a kid. So, I have few questions but I don't know where exactly should I post them :) Since you guys have this little beauty on the hand would you mind to help me understand some things?

I see that there are Sports and Eco-mode. Does that mean that Eco-mode it basically speeds limiter to fit legal requirements to ride on the streets? From the store page, I also saw that there is a way to set up that limiter but I don't understand how it differs from Eco-mode.

Basically, the idea is... kind of is it possible to have just a switch-button. Say, while you riding in on the streets you have the 20mph speed limit and you are good in terms of legal way, but once you are out of public road you could just turn the switcher and you have full unlimited experience?

Another question is if it's possible to put a more capable battery to have a really giant range in terms of urban cycling (like Delfast https://delfastbikes.com/bikes/prime ). Their prime model looks more suitable for everyday city riding (they have lights, mirrors, speed limit cap and huge range because of the speed limit). So did I understand it right, that with Eco-mode on Sur-Ron I could get really long range? Basically, I'm looking for something universal for city riding and at the same time to be able to have fun by changing it but turning off switcher for speed/power limit.

Also, they say that Delfast is certified for public road usage, how hard is to get this kind of certification from DMV in case of Sur-Ron?

Sorry for silly questions, I'm just completely newbie and thank you anyway :)

Comment

Originally posted by vijo_vuji View Post
          Hello there! I've never had experience with bikes and motorcycles, only had some experience with regular bicycles as a kid. So, I have few questions but I don't know where exactly should I post them :) Since you guys have this little beauty on the hand would you mind to help me understand some things?

I see that there are Sports and Eco-mode. Does that mean that Eco-mode it basically speeds limiter to fit legal requirements to ride on the streets? From the store page, I also saw that there is a way to set up that limiter but I don't understand how it differs from Eco-mode.
          For me. Eco mode limits the speed to approximately 28 mph. The speedo is very easy to monitor when riding, so keeping the speed limited to say 20 mph is easy.

Basically, the idea is... kind of is it possible to have just a switch-button. Say, while you riding in on the streets you have the 20mph speed limit and you are good in terms of legal way, but once you are out of public road you could just turn the switcher and you have full unlimited experience?
          I would say the EP (Eco) vs Sport switch helps control speed.

Another question is if it's possible to put a more capable battery to have a really giant range in terms of urban cycling (like Delfast https://delfastbikes.com/bikes/prime ). Their prime model looks more suitable for everyday city riding (they have lights, mirrors, speed limit cap and huge range because of the speed limit). So did I understand it right, that with Eco-mode on Sur-Ron I could get really long range? Basically, I'm looking for something universal for city riding and at the same time to be able to have fun by changing it but turning off switcher for speed/power limit.
          I would think that using the EP (Eco) power option would double range, but how one uses the throttle dictates how long the battery will last. As I understand it, there is only one battery choice. If driven conservatively, I think the battery could be used for three to four hours or riding. That being said, most like to use wide open throttle.

Also, they say that Delfast is certified for public road usage, how hard is to get this kind of certification from DMV in case of Sur-Ron?
          Great question - it has a serial number, but not a title, so who knows...

Sorry for silly questions, I'm just completely newbie and thank you anyway :)
          See comments above.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoBurgers View Post
            Thoughts on making the rear brake light active. It should be doable, as the brake levers cut the motor power. I would think it would require a two way light (normal and bright) and a change in wiring. This is where my knowledge ends. Anyone interested in figuring this out and sharing with the group?

Also, and somewhat related, I thought I was experiencing a power/controller interrupt issue after a long run; however, what I was experiencing was that while on an incline I was using the brake to hold my position, I could not get the motor to engage with the throttle. After thinking a bit sometime later, I realized I had been cutting power when using the brake to hold position. Of course, this means if we have to stop on a hill we are screwed - unless we can turn perpindicular to the hill.

Chris
            Chris and anyone else looking to disengage the rear brake activated motor cut off, below is a link which describes how to remove this feature.
            https://www.sur-ronusa.com/changes-for-the-better

Comment

These guys: https://www.bajadesigns.com/products...Sport-Kits.asp make kits for converting dirt motos to street legal and I know many folks that have done that here in AZ... you all might be able to adapt something from them easily.... or not... You'd almost certainly need a 12V converter but that seems a natural to me for a bike like this...

Comment

I have written my review of the Sur Ron and Luna Cycle on my blog
                http://www.markkitaoka.com/latest-ne...by-luna-cycle/

Comment

• paxtana
                  paxtana commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wow awesome review. Lot of useful info here like compatible fenders and the pics are great

Thank you. I have written a review of the Fisher Fabhouse Ultra 3200 lumen headlight for the Sur Ron.
                http://www.markkitaoka.com/latest-ne...n-12v-version/

Comment

Thank you so much for that.
                  Who knew it would be that simple.
                  Have you tried to get your insurance to insure it, and if so how did that go?

Comment

Why would you register a Sur Ron as a “”””” moped killgame it’s a class 2 ebike throttle allows all access per jerrybrown 1/1 18 seriously why?

Comment

• Toochelly
                      Toochelly commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I cut the green wire and the sur-run was only cappable of going 7mph. Has anyone ever added a resistor like a 50k ohm to this wire to see if controls max speed?

Ok so i want to order another Sur-run for my wife, but first the max speed has to be addressed in order to be legal on arizona bike paths (20mph max in econ mode.)

Will the addition of the pedal kit and a paticular sized rear sprocket get me to a max of 20 mph in econ mode? If so what would be the set up?

Hi, I received my bike two days ago. Everything went great for the most part. I followed luna's excilent unboxing and assembly video.. However, two things went wrong.
                    ​​​​​​
                    1st There's a part in the video that warns you not to over tighten you screws when putting the handle bars on. Well, I was adjusting over and over to get it just right and I stripped one. Not severely,. I can get it out, but I can't tighten it anymore. Just spins.

Any advise to fix this?

2nd This is a heads up for everyone. My rear tire is flat. I did not notice this right away. I noticed immediately on my first ride. I don't think it came this way. I'm not 100 percent sure but I think what happened was the valve stem nut was tight against the rim and as soon as I throttled it ripped the tube open at the base of the valve stem.

Still waiting on a response / resalution.
                    Meanwhile, I really want to ride so I overnighted a tube.

*update* it wasn't the valve nut at all. In fact the hole was opposite side of the tube from the valve. Turns out it was just a regular old defect. Just a tiny pin prick hole in the tube. Probably manufacturer defect.

Luna has offered to reemberse me for tube and tools etc.
                    Last edited by johnt7303; 08-10-2018, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• AZguy
                      AZguy commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Helicoils will create a better stronger thread than the original.... by far...

A torque wrench will prevent...

Class 1 bike pedal assist class 2 and 3 bikes per jerry brown january 1 2018 20 class two allowed everywhere bike paths trails street etc no dl class 3 28 mph no trails or bike paths bs let those who ride decide get used to haters be respectful of hikers horses and jackasses and especially people driving and texting if it don't have umph they will run you over light bee has umph watch u tube have escape routes stay away from vehicles leave fast dont get behind cars trucks etc;have 2 escape route when you ride on two wheels 2 escape routes and vigilant and focused you will have too save yourself aggressive is better actually the weight difference and attitude of cages put the responsibility on you everyday all day and night don't be complacent or not in the zone take off first in sport get your lane mirror and know that its on you period you have vision and reaction time advantage keep your bike maintained check brakes equipment get seat time Be about it have fun but realize what you are up against lots of weight momentum and stupidity

Comment

• Toochelly
                      Toochelly commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I cut the green wire and the sur-run was only cappable of going 7mph. Has anyone ever added a resistor like a 50k ohm to this wire to see if controls max speed?

Ok so i want to order another Sur-run for my wife, but first the max speed has to be addressed in order to be legal on arizona bike paths (20mph max in econ mode.)

Will the addition of the pedal kit and a paticular sized rear sprocket get me to a max of 20 mph in econ mode? If so what would be the set up?

I have updated my post to include how to bleed the Sur Ron brakes:

Comment

Working...
                    X