Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have an X1 Enduro Luna bike, what's your opinion on it? How do you like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's a pic of the small frame, slightly different.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Luna X1 small.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	797.2 KB
ID:	114278

Comment

• Desmodromic
      Desmodromic commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! I have a small coming as well. Thanks for the pic!

I'm really loving this bike.

I have everything dialed in pretty good including all 12 gears.
    I just cut down my handlebars down to 750mm and replaced the grips with
    some 19 dollar ones until I find someone with the PadLoc jig to cut the angle.

I'm still healing from a severe wrist sprain so I haven't really gone too far.
    I tore some of the deep transverse metacarpal ligaments more than 2 months ago.
    I fell off my first electric bike I had purchased cause I was having trouble
    getting back and forth to my mailbox which is 1/8 mile round trip.

The electric bicycle has been the fountain of youth for me. I'm in my sixties and
    my knees don't always lock when I walk, but put me on two wheels and I'm great.
    So no injury will stop me from getting on some trails... next season,
    after getting some body protection, a shock pump and a torque wrench...

Comment

Here's a closeup of my left side setup with the upgraded display.
      You can just see where the brake is under the controls.
      From left to right: throttle, dropper post, brake then controls.

Name:	Left Control.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	115129

Comment

I found the eight small screws on either end of the battery loose today.
        It may be why my battery was so tight and was so hard to remove.

Comment

Here's a front view of the bars with my new safety orange grips.
          Trying to keep all the cables as neat as I can. Dropper cable is almost to short.

Name:	Handlebars.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	115140

Comment

I cleaned mine up as well when I added new dropper and dropper lever, but removed throttle for now...replaced bars with CF ProTapers, and Renthal clamp while I was at it.

Comment

• ZooHead
              ZooHead commented
              Editing a comment
              Looks like you did some custom orange paint.
              I think the orange grips would look better.

• mw195
              mw195 commented
              Editing a comment
              That is vinyl, and it was supposed to be copper colored, but it looks more orange to me. While waiting for the bike to arrive (long wait) I had ordered the grips in cement grey,along with the pedals, but they arrived in a sand color! I have grey on the way. The dropper lever in integrated into the brake mount (MMX spec) and is grey as well. I might have a bit too much going on at moment, but that is what happens when an early August shipment does not arrive until end of September...

• eskachig
              eskachig commented
              Editing a comment
              Hahaha I had wheels, shifter, shock, brakes, dropper lever, etc already sitting. I think I ordered my bike in June, so there was entirely too much time to sit around and "research". Never had a chance to ride this bike stock, even.

Originally posted by ZooHead View Post
            I found the eight small screws on either end of the battery loose today.
            It may be why my battery was so tight and was so hard to remove.
            Same here, about 3 weeks after I started using my bike. Noticed it for the same reason :)

--> Check your battery screws guys! (actually check everything...and loctite everything again properly too)

Comment

My X-1 with the silent gear is very very quiet after few days of using. Until now, I have no complaints at all

Comment

My X-1 has been pretty fantastic so far - I finally have it dialed in, and it's a fantastically capable bike. I'm experiencing problems with lower-level assist, so my bike lives at PAS 3 but it's an absolute blast there. I'm hoping there is a resolution to the ongoing firmware woes, because I'd like to be able to use lower PAS levels too - but in the meantime this is a great bike, very fun.

With the silent gear, it started out quiet - and is now nearly actually silent.

Comment

• ZooHead
                  ZooHead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Same problem here. PAS 1 and 2 are useless, but 3 is great.

Originally posted by Chwhiz View Post

Hey there!! Thanks for your post. Would you mind sharing what coil shock you put on it? What are your pros and did you have to tune it or did it come custom tuned to you?
                Do you mind telling me how much you weigh? I am 135 lb and not sure which spring to buy. Thanks again!

Comment

• eskachig
                  eskachig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I weigh 185 + ~10lbs of gear and water, and ended up with a 500lb spring.

The coil is amazing, the difference is pretty stark. I got a Bomber CR, which is the new iteration of the tried and true Fox Vanilla RC. Various calculators didn't work that great for me, but at least they provide a starting point. Basic springs are heavy, but cheap so you can dial things in for ~$30 a pop. Marzocchi has you fill out things like stroke, travel, weight, etc and spits out a number at you. Might as well start there. Everyone said to get a one up, but what I ended up needing was two down. The kinematics of bikes are different, you never quite know until you slap it on.

Strangely enough, applying Hooke's law from that long-forgotten intro physics class worked great, got me right into 30% sag after the calculator-suggested spring left me at ~25%. Now I have an lightweight SLS spring coming in the mail to take the weight penalty down a little, hope it works out.

Edit: the calculator on the Marzocchi site gave me 388lbs for your weight and X-1's stats. But that sounds pretty unrealistic lol, considering I'm at 500. Honestly, I think I'd try with a 300lbs spring first.
                  Last edited by eskachig; 1 week ago.

here is my long ass story and review of the luna X1 enduro. factor in that i have only put less than 30 miles on it so far.

back in september i put down the money and waited for delivery on the luna X1 enduro ebike. while waiting for the bike i joined the ebike forum and started reading up on peoples X1 experiences. there were a number of people who had different issues with the X1 in the forum and i was kind of freaked out by it. ‘silent motor not silent’, ‘put a thread lock on EVERYTHING, it all rattles loose quickly‘, ‘it’s not as fast as i had hoped’ and ‘the latest version of the X1 is not of the same build quality as the ones built a year ago’ where some of the issues i read about. i contacted luna about a cancel of the order with the hopes of using that money on a different luna ebike or motors. i read the details on the returns and cancels policies and there was the possibility of a pretty stiff restocking fee or at a minimum a 10 percent cancellation fee for cancelling a pre-order. not to mention the cost of me either driving the bike back to southern cal from northern cal or paying to ship it back would be on top of that.
                so i took my chances and did not pursue a return or cancellation further. i was hoping my experience would be different. for the most part it was. i was impressed right off in the unboxing of the bike how beautiful it is. except for the spacers issue i will talk about later putting the bike together was pretty straight forward. i connected the connectors and put the front wheel on. put the handle bars on and charged the battery. the tool kit the X1 came with is a good bike tool kit. a spoke tension meter and a chain checking tool are needed for this bike too.
                after putting it all together and charging the battery it would not power on. i opened a trouble ticket and searched the knowledge base and did what was suggested. re-inserted the connector for the display. that didn’t fix it and i never did hear that sound of the connector ‘popping in’. then i disassembled the battery and motor and checked connections and the battery voltage. i don’t know what ultimately fixed the power on issue but i am sure it was not the display connector because i tried to power the bike up after only changing that and it didn’t turn on. my guess is the issue was the connections to the motor that i disconnected and reconnected within the motor itself. part of my goal with this bike was to learn about working on ebikes so as to do more projects of this type. i was i was pretty stoked when the bike powered up.
                i took the advice i read on the forum and started applying thread locker to all the bolts that made sense to. already i have lost some of the hardware for the bike. the capless crank set nut/bolt came out on the right side. i had to search hard to find that m15/p1 part but i found it. everything is going to rattle off on any fast bike so regular pilot checks and maintenance are needed to prevent this.
                when trying to tighten the front axle to spec i noticed the wheel would stop spinning freely when the axle was tightened. it wasn’t the disc brake that was causing this. i figured it was probably a missing a spacer or two that was causing issue. luna support and the ebike forum confirmed that spacer(s) where needed between front fork and wheel. hopefully spacer is on the way from luna support.
                before i knew the spacers were missing on the front forks i did ride it. i was impressed. the pedal assist at level 3 is hella fun. the silent motor option was totally silent and stealthy as fuck. the power/speed issues i thought the bike would have did not exist for the most part. the bike came with a 38 tooth front chain ring. i must of missed that spec. maybe it was part of the ludicrious motor option i opted for. i thought it came with a 32 tooth chain ring. i was going to upgrade that chain ring to 38 or 40 and then looked at it and it was already the 38T (laughs). the bike is a billie goat hill climber with that 38T. now i just have to figure out how to not shift gears under load before attacking those hills. i do run out of gears to pedal at higher speeds but that isn’t much of an issue. i will probably put a 40T chain ring on it and a stronger chain. according to the display i was able to get up to 30mph pretty quickly in mode 3 on the flats. my opinion is that the display mph may be optimistic. from years of riding motorcycles and motorized bicycles i know that much above 35mph is pretty fast for a bike that isn’t a motorcycle. i don’t heal as quickly as when i was young and sliding across the ground either. before i had ridden the X1 i had wanted a twist throttle on the ebike. after riding it i don’t. the pedal assist is great and the thumb throttle is enough assist and works for me from a riding perspective.
                the bike spokes where pretty loose after the short rides i took. the tool kit came with a spoke wrench but i didn’t have a spoke tension meter. so i went around each wheel twice with the wrench and tightened each spoke by feel and sound. it might be a bad idea but the thought of putting thread lock on the spokes did cross my mind. and ‘no’ i’m not going to do that. i am going to invest in a spoke tension meter though.
                the sram groupset the X1 comes with is the SX line of components. the SX line are the cheapest components that sram offers. the next cheapest being the NX line of components. you can’t buy the SX line as a groupset unless you are a manufacture. the cheapest components that you can buy as a groupset are the NX components. the thing i dislike the most on this bike is the SX thumb trigger shifter. the thumb lever can’t be adjusted or upgraded unlike all the other sram lines of trigger shifters can. the only adjustment you can make to the trigger shifter is it’s angle on the handle bars. adjusting the angle isn’t a enough to compensate for the awkward thumb ergonomics of the thumb lever. i just ordered a sram twist shifter to replace the trigger shifter. in a review i heard that the SX line doesn’t offer compatibility between the SRAM lines of components (like all the other sram lines do). i still expect to be able to get the twist shifter to work. i also learned that some shimano components work with some sram components. amazon’s return policy is pretty liberal which gives a good way to try different options without much risk.
                the other thing that is kind of sucky is that the X1 only uses 11 of the 12 gears on the cassette. i’m not sure but i think it might be possible fix issue so that it uses all 12. saw somebody on youtube fix this issue through derailleur adjustments but you know how that can go.
                can’t wait to get the fork spacer so i can ride more. so far this black on black ebike is a head turner that is quick and quiet blast. will update after i ride it further.

Comment

• ZooHead
                  ZooHead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That spacer is in the packing and it's easy to miss.
                  With no initial knowledge of adjusting, and after watching a Park Tools video, I got all 12 working fine.

• eskachig
                  eskachig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  New bikes come adjusted correctly for 12th gear - but if yours isn't, that can be fixed.

The twist shifter will work fine, mine does. Iirc Eagle stuff is indeed all interchangeable - and even works fine with the Shimano 12-speed stuff. At least I hope so, I have an SLX mech on the way.

I've been thinking about getting one of these and I have a question. Has anyone tried putting 29" wheels on? It looks like the Dengfu E10 frame which is compatible w/ 29s so I was just wondering... Thanks!

Comment

• eskachig
                  eskachig commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You can do a mullet setup and some have, but I seriously doubt this frame can accommodate a 29er rear. The clearance is perfect for 27.5+ 2.8 tire, but there is no room to grow from that.

The E10 is built for it. It's the successor to the M09, which is what the X1 is. It's also a slightly more updated geometry - slacker, with longer reach.
                  Last edited by eskachig; 20 hours ago.
              Working...
              X