Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have an X1 Enduro Luna bike, what's your opinion on it? How do you like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by littlejohn137 View Post
    I was enjoying my X1, until it just stopped running and now it just makes a loud whining noise. I have had problems with Lunas support and I have nothing good to say about them. I think they are cowards and make the mountain biking community look bad. Grew up in LA the south bay area near where there located. After not getting any response from them Ive tried to go down there several times but they are locked in their shop like cowards while I can go to Trek and several local shops near my house and there open but cant seem to help me. So now Ive got a brick of a bike I cant get help on. I will never buy another bike from Luna!!!
    So you have 2 posts to date, a bunch of claims and you resort to name calling? Yup, real level headed adult response right there! You want to be taken serious, act serious. It's guys like you with your response that makes people NOT want to help you.

Comment

Hi folks,

So, I started loctite'ing some of the well known issue areas today: crack cover bolts and rear linkage bolts, and I noticed there seems to be blue loctite on the crank covers and red loctite on the rear linkage bolts when I removed them (kind of questioning the red loctite since the bolts came off way easier than expected for red loctite). Is this a new thing they're doing from the manufacturer? Does it make sense to re-loctite all the major bolts? The ones that come to mind are the aforementioned ones and the ones around the rear suspension.

Much thanks,

Comment

• KTMracer63
        KTMracer63 commented
        Editing a comment
        yes re-loctite, and I'd clean the hardware first of the old loctite, the dry/flaky loctite won't secure the bolt back to the way it was with fresh loctite. I'll treat my X1 no different than my off-road race motorcycles.
        Last edited by KTMracer63; 03-24-2021, 08:59 AM.

As an aside, I finally did a test ride today. And, damn, I thought the torque sensor / PAS were perfect. In fact, I might switch back down to 5 levels from 9. It's definitely not as powerful as I was expecting, and to be honest, I felt the top assist levels were similar going up a hill as compared to my old 250W eMTB. Maybe a bit more powerful, but it's perfect for me. Love the bike.

Comment

• KTMracer63
        KTMracer63 commented
        Editing a comment
        Did you get the non-Ludi or Ludi?

Non-Ludi. I read that the Ludi increased power across all assist levels. I didn't want the low levels of power feeling too much.

Comment

• KTMracer63
        KTMracer63 commented
        Editing a comment
        Lower levels are very manageable with the 14.6 firmware, the only best perspective is ones own butt on the seat riding it.

got mine all set up today and all of the pivots bolts had blue loctite on them when I took them out. so put them back in and torqued to spec. Overall happy with my bike. Came in a perfect box, no damage and everything in the box as expected. Gonna flash the firmware to .6 Monday when my tuner gets here.

Comment

Received my Ludi modded X1 (with Besst tool) on Monday this past week.....took it apart and inspected all hardware (torqued/loctite/greased,etc) rode around for a day or 2 with 14.5 to get a feel for it. Loaded 14.6 on Wednesday....WHOA! THIS is the way the bike should be shipped, big difference with PAS, much more user friendly.

Waiting on components to arrive this week to upgrade the Yari fork to the Lyrik "ultimate" level and the Fox DHx2 - 210x55/Coil shock.
        If you're planning to ride the bike harder....do your homework on the Yari upgrade first, before blowing a grand on a Fox 36 or 38. Mike at "The Lost Co" (on youtube) has a great review about upgrading the Yari (to the RC2 cartridge) to the Lyrik "Ultimate" level (for about $330) and how this upgrade will compare to the Fox 36 and 38 (both are $1000+ forks). It was mentioned this RC2 upgrade puts your stock fork between the Fox 36 and 38 capability. The Lyrik Ultimate is a $1000 fork.

Personal perspective, the Ludi mod is not over-powering (just use common sense)....people saying you don't need it (that don't have it), they don't know what they don't know....The ones that have tried it, probably rode someone else's with 14.5 (no wonder you thought it sucked), but they ride the original 14.4 firmware (apparently was very good) on their non-ludi's. So this isn't a very fair comparison for the Ludi with the better 14.6 firmware.

Seriously, with Besst and 14.6 swap, there is now an enjoyable PAS 1 ride and Ludi mode is not over bearing. Both 5 and 9 Level PAS are very usable.
        Nice part is...the Ludi power will be there "when you're ready for it and/or need it".

Bottom line...if you have experienced and enjoy ripping around on dirt bikes...you'll want the Ludi mod.
        If you're an adrenaline amped or railing mtb downhiller type person, you'll probably want the Ludi mod.
        Last edited by KTMracer63; 04-03-2021, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Hey friends. I'm going to be ordering an X-1 when they are next available and have a sizing question. I usually run large frames but understand that these are a bit big for some folks. I'm 5 10", 170 lbs with a 31" inseam. In your experience, what size would best suit me?

Also, any riders here in Western N.C.?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• KTMracer63
            KTMracer63 commented
            Editing a comment
            Go with Large....

I'm 6' (slightly taller upper torso, long arm reach) and have the Large, would rather have an XL, my other mtb's are 21" frames and I was measured by a MTB Ergo/Kinesiologist.

Better to have the bike larger than smaller...The Large for 5'10 will be more stable for doing descents or any sort of downhill vs. a Medium
            Last edited by KTMracer63; 04-05-2021, 09:27 AM.

• mattgrey
            mattgrey commented
            Editing a comment
            I'd go with medium. I'm of similar size and medium works great. It's a large bike size wise. I'm quite happy with the bike, just need to lay down some more trail miles. I'm 5 10.5 and 32 inseam.

Originally posted by omniEye View Post
          Hey friends. I'm going to be ordering an X-1 when they are next available and have a sizing question. I usually run large frames but understand that these are a bit big for some folks. I'm 5 10", 170 lbs with a 31" inseam. In your experience, what size would best suit me?

Also, any riders here in Western N.C.?

Thanks in advance!
          Attached are the detailed ergos for the X1 or M09 Dengfu frame. If you swap shocks, would be good to look at a 210mm x 55mm as it will slightly extend the rear swingarm of the bike just a tad downward (not much) causing the bottom bracket to lift slightly (better for clearance). This still doesn't change the reach. My Large it's just a tad bit cramped for me (but I have small fixes)....at 5'10, I'll bet it's perfect.
          Attached Files
          Last edited by KTMracer63; 04-05-2021, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• omniEye
            omniEye commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for that. That was my initial thought but it's nice to have it verified. I really appreciate the assistance!

Howdy All,
          Just ordered a silent X1 (non-ludi) and wondering how this might compare with my old BBSHD ? Im not a jumper, or mad downhiller so figured I might get a better battery life with the non-ludi and be happy with the overall performance . Also should I request 14.6 or not needed on non-ludi? Thoughts? Thanks.

Comment

• Brian99
            Brian99 commented
            Editing a comment
            They say you need to request v14.6 at the time of order. But if it's not too late, no question, v14.6 is what you want even on non-Ludi, which is what I have. Just read above a few from KTMracer.
            This will take you up hills at 9-14 mph, not 20. It's a bicycle, after all. I need non-Ludi in case I ever need to be legal for class I, and it's fine for me. I claim that the X1 can go more places physically and legally, than any other vehicle.

• KTMracer63
            KTMracer63 commented
            Editing a comment
            Best bet would be to ping Paxtana here online...he's at Luna.
            There have been comments about the newer m600 motor coming with Firmware 46.7 release...so better off pinging Pax and confirming.
            I've ridden the older 46.6 release on my Ludi...it was better than 14.5 (which comes standard on Ludi from Luna), but 14.6 is a lot better.
            Have read that people ordering non-Ludi were requesting 14.6 to be loaded as well.

Personally, I'm glad I got the Ludi (and the Besst Tool)....I have the torque when I want/need it, other than that I still get a solid workout pedaling the bike.
            I also purchased an extra battery...14.6 firmware really cleans up the "Ludi-mod" PAS (as it would with the non-Ludi), making Levels 1 and 2 way friendlier and helping with battery consumption. I've never ridden a non-Ludi, so can't comment about it's lower torque performance.

Everyone's different....some like 3" jumps, some like 3' jumps.

The analogy to think here is that whether Ludi or Non...the bike taps out at same speed, don't remember the exact number. The Ludi just gets there quicker.
            If a VW Golf R (280hp) and Volkswagen Beetle (140hp) are in a drag race and both are governed to tap out at 30mph...pretty obvious.
            If I'm riding thru an area with a known dog that likes to chase bikes, I'll take the Ludi.
            Last edited by KTMracer63; 05-10-2021, 07:22 AM.

Originally posted by KTMracer63 View Post
          Received my Ludi modded X1 (with Besst tool) on Monday this past week.....took it apart and inspected all hardware (torqued/loctite/greased,etc) rode around for a day or 2 with 14.5 to get a feel for it. Loaded 14.6 on Wednesday....WHOA! THIS is the way the bike should be shipped, big difference with PAS, much more user friendly.

Waiting on components to arrive this week to upgrade the Yari fork to the Lyrik "ultimate" level and the Fox DHx2 - 210x55/Coil shock.
          If you're planning to ride the bike harder....do your homework on the Yari upgrade first, before blowing a grand on a Fox 36 or 38. Mike at "The Lost Co" (on youtube) has a great review about upgrading the Yari (to the RC2 cartridge) to the Lyrik "Ultimate" level (for about $330) and how this upgrade will compare to the Fox 36 and 38 (both are $1000+ forks). It was mentioned this RC2 upgrade puts your stock fork between the Fox 36 and 38 capability. The Lyrik Ultimate is a $1000 fork.

Personal perspective, the Ludi mod is not over-powering (just use common sense)....people saying you don't need it (that don't have it), they don't know what they don't know....The ones that have tried it, probably rode someone else's with 14.5 (no wonder you thought it sucked), but they ride the original 14.4 firmware (apparently was very good) on their non-ludi's. So this isn't a very fair comparison for the Ludi with the better 14.6 firmware.

Seriously, with Besst and 14.6 swap, there is now an enjoyable PAS 1 ride and Ludi mode is not over bearing. Both 5 and 9 Level PAS are very usable.
          Nice part is...the Ludi power will be there "when you're ready for it and/or need it".

Bottom line...if you have experienced and enjoy ripping around on dirt bikes...you'll want the Ludi mod.
          If you're an adrenaline amped or railing mtb downhiller type person, you'll probably want the Ludi mod.
          I'm thinking of getting this bike. I love coil and wanted to know how you like it as such. Have you ridden a true VPP (from Santa Cruz or Intense, before JS Tuned) suspension bike for comparison? Have you thought of putting a coil conversion kit in the Yari?

Comment

• KTMracer63
            KTMracer63 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't know what a true VPP is....race off-road dirtbikes for fun (a lot and when I'm not injured, ugh)...granted, I have 2 nice rocky mtn fatbikes and a 29'er Carbon Diamondback hardtail. Addressing the X1, my perspective really goes from off-road/enduro MX to eMTB, not MTB to eMTB.

Yes, I upgraded the Yari to Lyrik Ultimate level and personally, the 35mm stanchion'ed fork (doesn't matter the brand) I feel isn't stiff/beefy enough for the "harder charging rider" with the weight of an ebike, modded Yari is a great fork for a 20 to 30lb bike. Which is why I swapped and selected the Zeb Ultimate's with 38mm stanchions at 180mm front travel. The Zeb fork combined with the 35mm Swank Vibrocore bars (40mm rise) with Swank Steer Stem (45mm) and Oury grips IS "tha sh*t"....dampens vibes/harshness.

There are 3 versions of Zeb 38's ranging in price and also a newer Rockshox Domain 38 that's been released for under $600.

I immediately went from liking to loving the X1...it suits what I've been used to.
            Last edited by KTMracer63; 4 weeks ago.

Originally posted by Sierra Luna View Post
          I received my new Luna X1 in a medium back in August. I am quite happy with it overall. I have been out about 10 times on 1-2 hour rides.

Here are my thoughts and findings:
          The rear shock pivot screw was backing out. I greased the bolt and applied thread lock to the thread. No more trouble there. After reading above posts, I will be looking at all the hardware.
          The rear shock is a pretty basic as it has been pointed out and could be improved. The bars are too flat for my preference, but easily fixed with new ones later on. I replaced the pedals straight away along with the hard seat and I have a new chain and a 40T chain ring in the parts bin. I have been riding BMX and 26" hard tail MTB for over 40 years. So this is my 1st full suspension and EMTB. After riding a few other brands at local bike shops (several at double the cost), I decided the 29ers and large frames were too big for me. I liked the Santa Cruz with 27.5 but the price was about 2x the Luna.
          Other factors to purchase. Easy to remove battery that is integrated into the frame.
          Overall riding impressions:
          Power mode 1, 3 and 5 are enough. I leave it on 3 usually. Really like the thumb throttle for tight spots.
          Seems to plow through rock gardens and over rough terrain very well. Brakes are very adequate and the tires grip so well, the bike corners like on rails even in flat corners
          I went to a bike park and practiced some table tops and double jumps on the flow trail. The bike jumps well, although the extra weight makes it a bit different to maneuver in the air.
          I love being able to plow through sandy sections and up hills when the trail requires. Looking forward to some long downhill runs in American River Canyon in the spring of 2021.
          Before I do:
          I am trying to figure out how to mount spare inner tube and tools on the frame. A water bottle any kind would be nice as well, since I do not like to wear a Camel Bak on every ride.
          Here is what I am thinking.... Strap the tools/ inner tube into the frame just in front of the rear shock in the frame triangle behind the head set. or find a plastic flask, I can fill with water and mount in
          the same place. Has anybody out there figured out a way to mount a water bottle? Please share your ideas!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Luna tool kit.jpg
Views:	793
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	119500
          How's the ride vs the VPP Santa Cruz?

Comment

Originally posted by phatty View Post

I actually really like the forks on this bike, im not sending it, but I do hit the occasional table.
            I upgraded to coil shock first thing. Might be the best upgrade on the bike. Such a difference.

This bike needs 155mm cranks, 160 maximum.
            What size frame? I'm hoping a coil will fit a small frame

Comment

Originally posted by 808Rider View Post

I'm thinking of getting this bike. I love coil and wanted to know how you like it as such. Have you ridden a true VPP (from Santa Cruz or Intense, before JS Tuned) suspension bike for comparison? Have you thought of putting a coil conversion kit in the Yari?
              Here's mine....not finished, cassette and derailleur is next.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by KTMracer63 View Post

Here's mine....not finished, cassette and derailleur is next.
                Wow, that's a really nice suspension setup. I wonder, though. Upgrading the suspension like that, you might as well buy the frame / motor separately and build out the whole bike with better components,. I think if I were a long time MTB'er or dirt bike racer, I wouldn't have gone with the X1. If I were to go cheap, I would order the frame / motor directly from China, and then build everything else out: better suspension, better brakes, bigger drop dropper post. Maybe even a better derailleur.

Comment

• KTMracer63
                  KTMracer63 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ehhh, I'm good with it...will probably go that route with a 2nd ebike, should I decide to do it...let things rebound a bit.
                  My ex can source me (lol, she's a very nice ex) an e10 frame/battery/motor via Mexico City and I go pick it up in McAllen, TX.
                  Shipping to Mexico City from China/Dengfu is approx. $2400 (frame/m600/battery)...problem is shortage of batteries.
                  Should I sell the X1, I'll keep the good components for the next bike.
                  The wheels are fine...I'm not a weight weenie, and once set up properly for the weight (suspension-wise), the X1 rides very nice and light whether 50 or 55lbs. Most of the time I'm ripping through the trees and nasty stuff on 215+lb dirtbikes....what's 55? lol

Even with the nicer suspension, a souped up X1 is still 2 to 3 grand below the carbon Levo with average components, granted it's a nice and pretty bike, it's weak.
                  Last edited by KTMracer63; 4 weeks ago.

Originally posted by ribeyesteaks View Post

I think if I were a long time MTB'er or dirt bike racer, I wouldn't have gone with the X1. If I were to go cheap, I would order the frame / motor directly from China, and then build everything else out: better suspension, better brakes, bigger drop dropper post. Maybe even a better derailleur.
                I have 3 dirt bikes and came at it from a similar perspective as KTMracer, With the X1 Ludi, I got a good bike, all put together with a suped up controller and decent components for 3000 less than the "nearest" level of bikes and that have similar capabilities IMO (Specialized, GIant or Trek). If I stay into it and ride it as much as I think I will, eventually I may go the custom build route but for now, this is a charge it and play bike for me. Only thing I updated was the brake pads and the grips, else my X1-Ludi is all stock as delivered and it perfect for my riding. I did flash it to 14.6, great mod!

I'll save downhill charging and big air for my KTM300/500 or TM250!

Comment

• KTMracer63
                  KTMracer63 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  hahaha....no doubt!
                  should check out the Sherco's also....love my 250 Factory SE...KYB suspension rocks.
              Working...
              X