Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you have an X1 Enduro Luna bike, what's your opinion on it? How do you like it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm with 2wheelsanything....For the price, you get a bike delivered for WAY less than any other brand's entry level bikes. And while the components on the X1 are pretty much entry level, from what I have seen, the bike is perfectly fine for 98% of those riding it. For truly bombing the downhills, you are probably better off with aluminum framed bikes anyway But, for MC enthusiasts (which I fall under) this bike is a great base to start riding right away, and upgrade as you wear out components. You dont NEED to upgrade to a bigger fork, but you can. You do not need bigger brakes, but they are there if you want them and can appreciate the difference (I am currently running Code RSC and love em along with 203 floating Hopes...)
    I will agree that I find it difficult to believe that this dropper works for anyone, so am 100% in agreement that the dropper for this bike is all wrong, but again, there is no one dropper that is perfect for everyone, and in my opinion, only a low percentage of riders will ever be wanting a better (longer drop) post...Yes, I was one of them.
    But just like my motorcycles, I love setting them up for me, and the MTB is the exact same thing, only much less expensive while doing so.
    Last edited by mw195; 05-17-2021, 05:29 PM.

Comment

So far? POS. Motor cuts out just when you need it. No trouble shooting assistance from tech support or available documentation. Poor replacement part availability. Mine is unusable.

Comment

We may have to compare notes on this 'motor cut out' issue. I am in the same 'unusable' camp as of last week.

The first time I noticed a cut out was going out last December to look at Christmas lights. I'd let the battery get down to ~25% and pedaling+assist 5 up a moderate hill, zap! Everything just went dead. I rode full manual for the trek back home. Chalked it up to just letting the battery get too low.

Dozens more rides went fine. Then at some point early spring, it happened again... sort of the same thing...battery was around 35-38%, pedaling up a hill, PAS 5, zap - suddenly no power. I found that by pulling the battery, waiting a minute or so, re-installing, I could get the system to 'reset' and regain power. though would get zapped again and everything would shut down if I tried to draw too much power.

Hummm.... well maybe the bike doesn't handle lots of assist on low charges. I've always worked to keep the battery in the 40-80% range, but hadn't dreamed these slight excursions would cause the power cut-out.

So trying to manage battery better, I got in dozens more rides, then suddenly ZAP! happened again. This time I was ~56% battery and only riding PAS3. Hummm....maybe the battery needs a good equalization, so on the charger for a full 100% overnight charge / equalize. Back on the bike things are good until yet again...ZAP! no power... this time the battery was showing 76% and PAS3!

Something definitely going on and getting worse...but I don't know what. Each time I get the bike back home, I check the battery voltage and it's right in line with a decently charged battery. So last week I was out again. Left the house with ~86% charge and within 5 minutes - zap, dead again! Got back to the house to check battery voltage but this time its hovering between ~0.7 and 2V. I waited a bit thinking maybe there is some sort of thermal or timer cut-out, even though no point on the battery was even warm to the touch (I barely rode 5 minutes at PAS3). But overnight the battery still showed 0.7-2V. I also noted there was a 'burning electronics' smell coming from the battery controller.

So at some point when I get time, looks like I'll be opening some shrink wrap to get at the controller and see what I can see!

Anyway, that is my experience with the motor /power cutting out. Guess if yours is similar, keep an eye on the thread for additional updates.

Comment

• Kindiftall
          Kindiftall commented
          Editing a comment
          Have you considered that it may not be the batter at all but the temperature of the motor. I had one where the controller didn't manage the usage well and it overheated easily, Try putting some water on the cooling fins and see it it starts up..

• K442
          K442 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks for the suggestion/input. The thought did cross my mind and i haven't put a lot of temperature data in my posts. But the first several instances were in the Dec/Jan/Feb timeframe...air temps of 30's/40's/50's. Some of the later occurrences were after riding only a few minutes in 60-70F weather. I was also under the impression an 'overtemp' issue would cut power to the motor and record an error on the (still functional) display. This is more of a 'completely dead' power cut - as if the battery just fell out of the bike. Some additional troubleshooting seems to be pointing to the BMS - hope to post more on that later.

I've had my X1 for about 6 or 7 months now. I freaking LOVE this thing. I'm not a small guy. (6'1" and 235lbs) I live up in the hills of So. Calif. and get to enjoy my bike at a moments notice. It has never let me down! Of course, you need to know how to keep the motor spinning and not use too high a gear at the wrong time. I like to think of it as one of my old 2 stroke motorcycles from the 70's or 80's. Keep the revs up and stay on the pipe! Like I said, I'm a fairly big guy and I ride up some steep hills. The motor just keeps humming along if you use it properly. The other "must do" is maintenance! Keep everything clean and properly adjusted. Otherwise, you'll pay the price regardless of which bike you own. Well made e-bikes like the Luna X1 ain't cheap. However, if you pay attention to what your doing and consistently do the required upkeep, you'll have the time of your life on a high performance e-bike that doesn't break down! Not to mention, all that extra power can get you out of many tight spots. I don't use the extra power real often but when I need it... it sure is nice to give a little squirt to avoid a problem situation!!! All in all, when you look closely at whet you get for your money, no other bike even comes close. Thanks Eric!!!

Comment

• KTMracer63
          KTMracer63 commented
          Editing a comment
          hahaha, EXACTLY!!!....no different than a 2t...tuning carbs with proper jetting and oil/fueling ratios.
          kinda get the sense a number of X1 issues are probably self-inflicted, ridden with poor maintenance and bad throttle/shifting/gearing use.

bottom line, these bikes in general (all ebikes) ARE NOT unbox and EXPECT everything to be perfect....
          then we see the whining and b*tching/complaints.
          this is a new era of transportation tech, so there's going be a lot of trial and error requiring decent mechanical and electrical skills.
          Last edited by KTMracer63; 06-12-2021, 06:57 AM.

I normally ride a KTM or Honda thumper. I got the x1 (ludi, throttle, silent option) to get out more often, do gonzo back-country rides and to be silent. I love this bike BUT the battery depletes too quickly and it goes into thermal cut-off mode constantly. If I'm by a stream it's not an issue to splash a little on the fins and resume but even in the Rockies it's not a given that water will be close at hand. I did a 4000 ft of climb/20 mile ride in Crested Butte just a couple days ago. The battery went red right about tree-line (8-9 miles out) but the trail climbed another 1,000 ft - that's right, I had to push the rest of the way up. This scenario repeated itself to varying degrees for the next two rides. My buddy's Orbea had plenty of juice leftover after all the rides. Have others had a similar experience? Have others found PAS 1 and 2 totally useless? I thought I could manually pedal like a regular bike when the motor is off/drained but the resistance of the motor makes that an impossibility on even level ground which means gonzo rides are out of the question. Like I said, I like the bike but it seems to only be satisfactory for "light" rides. Ideas?

Comment

• Brian99
          Brian99 commented
          Editing a comment
          If PAS 1&2 are useless, then you have SW v14.5 it seems. I don't know whether that's related to the battery usage or not. But I climb 2k feet in PAS 5 and use about 25 % of my battery (I think I once went from 100 to 75% on such a ride). Once my battery gets down to about 50%, I know that I don't have much left and need to head home before it gets below 30%. I don't think the percentage is linear; it's not a fine-tuned calibration like a car is.
          I certainly could not do 4k feet in the hot weather in so. Cal. (maybe my bike could, but not me)
          I don't know whether one can expect to more than 4000 feet with this battery; that sounds about like the limit to me. If feasible, you may need to carry a 2nd one. Or use lower assist levels (may need to change the SW?).
          So, unless someone else knows differently, I think you are just using all of the stored energy; I don't think that you have a defect.

Today I used the throttle up some significant hills in 85 deg. F weather, going slow in first gear, and did not feel the motor getting hot.
          With the 38 tooth chain ring, I only go up steep hills in 1st or 2nd gear. On the steepest, even in first gear, I have to help the motor out to keep moving (non-Ludi). Of course, the Ludi allows you to dump more energy into the motor, heating it more and draining the battery faster. If you used the throttle, then this could drain or overheat it fast. To conserve energy and go easier on the drive train, I often downshift until it's no longer putting out 800- 1000 W, but putting out 600 W or less.
          Also, you want the battery at a good temperature when you start to maximize what it can put out.

• KTMracer63
          KTMracer63 commented
          Editing a comment
          You were shipped 14.5 firmware with the Ludi....it sucks. PAS 1 and 2 are pitiful, level 3 is a herky jerky joke.
          Should've done some research first...plenty of postings about the Besst Tool / App and Firmware.
          Install 14.6 firmware using the 1.2.23 Besst App and Tool, life is much better.

• Arkose
          Arkose commented
          Editing a comment
          It really can't be said enough, if you are running Ludi, updating your fw to 14.6 will make the bike such a better experience.

My brakes learning: I checked my brakes at 250 miles and they were already worn down to the springs. The rotors had some shallow grooves. They were organic pads. So I am trying metallic now, and replaced the rotors at the same time. So far, the metal seems to work much better and handle heat better on long down hill runs. I just have to keep them clean enough to not squeak, which I have succeeded at so far.
        My riding is usually dry, dusty, sandy. This is my first disc brake experience.

Comment

• Arkose
          Arkose commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm also much happier with change to simi metallic pads. Seems to be stronger stopping and less fade on long downs. Im about 155lb so don't feel need yet to do any further brake upgrades.

Originally posted by KTMracer63 View Post

Attached are the detailed ergos for the X1 or M09 Dengfu frame. If you swap shocks, would be good to look at a 210mm x 55mm as it will slightly extend the rear swingarm of the bike just a tad downward (not much) causing the bottom bracket to lift slightly (better for clearance). This still doesn't change the reach. My Large it's just a tad bit cramped for me (but I have small fixes)....at 5'10, I'll bet it's perfect.
        It's interesting that the X1 is considered short in reach but the medium/ 17.5 shows a reach of 440 and a virtual top tube of 617. My medium (little too small for me) Specialized Camber measures 413 and 590 after the setback seatpost and my Motobecane 43cm measures 378 / 561.
        Has anyone ridden both the X1 and X2 to know the real world differences in geometry?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	Luna X1 frame geo.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	148058

Name:	measurements Camber.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	148059

Name:	measurements HAL boost 43.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	148060

Comment

Originally posted by sendler2112 View Post

It's interesting that the X1 is considered short in reach but the medium/ 17.5 shows a reach of 440 and a virtual top tube of 617. My medium (little too small for me) Specialized Camber measures 413 and 590 after the setback seatpost and my Motobecane 43cm measures 378 / 561.
          Has anyone ridden both the X1 and X2 to know the real world differences in geometry?
          Join the X1 group on FB.....there's also an X2 group.
          X1 and X2 riders are in both groups....
          Geoff has both....he and I are admins for the X1 group, he's the admin for the X2 group.
          Last edited by KTMracer63; 02-20-2022, 08:42 AM.

Comment

I'll like to add spare battery capacity to my X1. Has anyone had any success integrating a spare battery?

Comment

Guess it depends on how much spare capacity you're talkin' and what you mean by 'integrate'.

When my original BMS crapped out, 13S or 14S replacement BMS'es were about the same price, so I grabbed a 14S. The top of the OEM battery pack is basically empty space - at least if you ditch the battery meter and charge jack. So I 3D printed a hollow replacement cap and used that extra space to stuff another series group of 4 parallel cells. So the rebuilt battery is 52V instead of the original 48V. Same 13.5Ah, but the extra voltage is good for about 700 Wh vs the original 650. Not huge improvement, but 'integrated' directly into the original battery box.

If my CAD sketches are correct, there is actually room in the original box for a 5P14S block of cells if you're willing to have the BMS external. That could get you about 16.8Ah/52V or about 880Wh. So again, not a huge boost in capacity, but well integrated directly into the original box.

If you go bigger than that, you're probably looking at duct taping something on somewhere, possibly cramming something in a water bottle holder, or just carrying a spare battery

Comment

There are a number of batteries on Amazon of the right voltage (48v); like this one: https://www.amazon.com/HAILONG-48V-1...s%2C644&sr=8-9. It has the BMS , charger and provides up to 30A so that removes the bulk of the work. What's left is to expose the battery connection to the motor to enable a disconnect from the used battery and connection to the spare battery. Yes, you still have the mounting problem but it seems a simple set-up could make this work.

Comment

Anyone willing to sell or rent their BESST tool? They are out of stock and no word of when they will be in. I would be glad to pay in advance any semi-reasonable price. Bkunzl**@kba.law ** = er

Comment

Originally posted by BCK View Post
                    Anyone willing to sell or rent their BESST tool? They are out of stock and no word of when they will be in. I would be glad to pay in advance any semi-reasonable price. Bkunzl**@kba.law ** = er
                    If your in Salt Lake City let’s meet up for a ride and I Can flash your bike for you.

Comment

Originally posted by sendler2112 View Post

Name:	Luna X1 frame geo.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	148058

Name:	measurements Camber.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	511.2 KB
ID:	148059

Name:	measurements HAL boost 43.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	443.9 KB
ID:	148060
                      Sorry don’t get on here much anymore, mostly on the FB groups. The x2 climbs significantly better, and seems to be quicker responding to input in tech tight trails. Additionally it has 30% more battery and is more efficient do to geometry for peddling which helps stretch battery life.
                      I think it’s worth the upgrade price of $1000 or so I that’s just me.
                      The x1 is no slouch and a great bike and if you can snag a lightly used one for under 3k that’s a great deal IMO.

Comment

Phatty,

Check your private messages. I would love to get together to ride and get your assistance with the BESST tool.

Comment

Working...
                        X