New 750c color display for BBSHD and BBS02

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eric, thanks for the reply.

I don't want to get in a big argument about this. I'm a new guy around here and don't want to step on any toes. But...

Look at the image of the DPC-14 screen (reply #27). The "daytime" mode has a white background. The "night" mode has a black background. In my opinion, the white background makes the "daytime" screen much easier to read in bright sunlight. I know, because I have seen this display on a neighbor's bike.

The 750c does have a "daylight" mode, and a "night" mode, that is true. Yes, the fonts and dimness do change in "night" mode. But both modes have a black background, and that is what is causing me a viewing problem. I may be the only customer who has this problem. If so, I apologize for ever bringing it up. All I wanted to do in the first place was determine if my display was operating correctly. I have been assured that it is, and so that is the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned. I will be happy to let the whole subject be put to rest.

I just finished installing the Luna 750w BBS02B kit on my tadpole trike, and I am really pleased with the quality of the components, and the greatly increased performance of my trike. My personal gripe about the display does nothing to change my opinion of Luna Cycle and the stuff they sell. You run a first-class operation, and I will be shopping at your website again.
    Last edited by cajk; 04-26-2017, 05:54 PM.

Comment

Cajk,

kinda bummed myself that the 750c is not as readable a display as the DPC-14 (I have both).

IMO, There are only 2 reasons to get the 750c over the DPC-14;

1) it knows about 52V so the voltage metre displays correctly when your battery is charged above 56V - although I'm not sure if the battery graphic is calibrated properly for 52v. Mine at the moment looks like it's showing 80% full according to the graphic but the battery is at 52.8v so should look more like 60% full.

2) The throttle limiter which restricts the throttle to the PAS level you're at. I haven't tried/don't need this myself though.

I think the DPC-14 is better in every other way. Brighter screen with better contrast, easier to read layout, better control pad, can show amps drawn (the 750c only can display W as far as I can determine)....

I've yet to see any numbers appear on the range either - has anyone seen this work?

Comment

Originally posted by Ade View Post
        Cajk,
        I've yet to see any numbers appear on the range either - has anyone seen this work?
        No, after several extended rides and battery recharges, I've not seen anything in the "range" position.

Comment

Originally posted by cajk View Post
          Look at the image of the DPC-14 screen (reply #27). The "daytime" mode has a white background. The "night" mode has a black background. In my opinion, the white background makes the "daytime" screen much easier to read in bright sunlight. I know, because I have seen this display on a neighbor's bike.
          I like the white background the DPC-14 for daytime too. I also miss the USB charging port.

Comment

I’m pretty happy with the 750C buttons. DPC14 is good too. Yeah, I kinda liked the white daytime background screen too but the 750C looks good and still very readable to my eyes.

I think the biggest criteria for choosing between either display is in regard to mounting configuration? DPC14 if you need/want vertical (portrait) or 750C if you want horizontal (landscape).

Otherwise they’re both very cool. 750 watt/power meter might be better/faster response than the DPC14? And of course the volt meter limitation was fixed for 52V packs. Although that really wasn’t a big deal to me since most of my riding sags enough that I spend majority of my powered time below 56V. It’s mostly just weird/odd to install a battery pack and see 56V when you know it is 58V.

I once gotta burn spot on a DPC14 in strong daylight? I wonder if the black background is any more resilient in that regard?

Not seeing anything populate in the "informations" entries either. Perhaps it requires a different system and/or battery pack?

Comment

I have only had the 750 for two days but all things considered it is better than the DPC14. Why change the password from 1919 to 1199 though? It's confusing to easily frustrated old people..

Comment

• ColBuendia
                ColBuendia commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you for posting the password! It was driving me crazy that 1919 didn't work on my unit and I couldn't find the info anywhere...

been using the 750 for about a week on my new luna cycle, and playing around with various settings- so far pleased with the bike and the display.

in addition to the initial thread notes on how to navigate the features, note that i discovered holding down both "+" and "-" at the same time resets the trip distance and min/max speed.

still puzzled a bit by some of the quirks such as features that appear to do nothing or not work.. and looking forward to perhaps a more complete user manual from Luna after they work with the factory a bit more on how to use this controller with their drives.

Comment

• curranb79
                curranb79 commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you - I was looking for that!

From the 750c Display Documentation thread
              (https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...-documentation)

Common Question #2: "Throttle is tied to selected PAS level no more full throttle in lower PAS modes"

Sorry to be kinda slow here but...

Does that mean that the "Variable Throttle Option" (that the Luna Cycle page refers to) is not really an option but rather a permanent function?

in other words:

Can this throttle-tied-to-PAS be turned on and off?
              Last edited by skymon; 05-10-2017, 05:46 PM.

Comment

• cajk
                cajk commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not clear WHAT that statement you quoted really means... The line in the advanced settings menu that it refers to (Throttle: Y or N) does not seem to do anything. Exactly like most of the settings in the advanced menu - with the exception of "number of assist levels - they do nothing.

I can say this for sure: it IS possible to have full throttle in all PAS modes when using the 750c display. BUT, I believe this function must be activated (as usual) by setting the proper values in the motor controller. This requires a programming cable and the programming software on a Windows computer. Sorry 'bout that.

• skymon
                skymon commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks cajk. I appreciate your experimentation. Its time consuming. Especially checking throttle power as you have to get on and ride it (provide a load) to see what's happening. I'm somewhat familiar with programming the controller. I've made some slight PAS current limit changes. Can you be more specific about how to adjust throttle level independent of PAS level?

• cajk
                cajk commented
                Editing a comment
                I don't have enough experience (yet) to be telling others how to program their controllers. I DO recommend 3 resources for info on "best" controller settings. The first two are tech guides on Electricbike-blog.com (linked below). I have been using both of them to give me ideas on what settings to use on my bikes. The third is the excellent "Help" file found in the Penoff software program (also linked below). After you download the program and install it, i recommend opening the "Help" file and printing it out before you do anything else. It contains excellent tips on how to mod the BBSxx motor controller program.

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/0...ing-the-bbs02/

https://electricbike-blog.com/2015/0...g-your-sanity/

https://penoff.wordpress.com/2016/01...sion-software/

How do you clear the Trip mileage. Tabbing through the settings with the P button to Trip, then holding down both the+ - buttons sets it to zero, but when you power off the unit and power up again it it shows previous mileage in Trip. PLAYED WITH IT REPEATEDLY without success but know it can be done as playing with it earlier I zeroed out both Trip & ODO. NEED some guidancehere

Comment

• cajk
                cajk commented
                Editing a comment
                Try clearing the mileage immediately before you start riding. Then, when you start moving, it should begin to accumulate (and store) the "new" trip total.

I think if you "clear" the display, and then turn it off, you have not actually "cleared" the stored values in memory. This does not happen until a "new" value is stored.

If that makes any sense...
                Last edited by cajk; 05-12-2017, 06:44 AM. Reason: Typo

• cajk
                cajk commented
                Editing a comment
                After my post above, I was curious, so I went out and tried "clearing" both my displays. I have a 750c and a DPC-14 (the older vertical color display). The 750c acts like I stated above. The DPC-14 works different. On it, if I clear the "resettable" values, then turn it off, when I turn it back on they are still showing "zero". Weird.

Something else negative for this display - the plastic seems to be extremely soft and not at all scratch resistant. I gave it a casual wipe with my gloved finger and it instantly became a mass of fine scratches - never seen a display this bad for scratches and I've had 4 I think. Next time I do any maintenance on the bike I'm going to switch back to the DPC-14.

Comment

• cajk
                cajk commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the heads up. I haven't noticed this problem (yet), but now I will be more careful of my screens! Might be a good idea to install one of those "trim to fit" stick-on transparent screen protectors, like sold for cameras and cell phones. But need to do this BEFORE the screen gets scratched.

Not having the option for full throttle at any PAS level seems like a huge drawback to me on the new display. Not being able to see the amps is bad too, though not as critical to me.

Have such things been updated later by firmware? Or we will be stuck with those limitations? If so, I would have to return and exchange my paid for but yet to be delivered 750c for the DPC-14...

Comment

• skymon
                skymon commented
                Editing a comment
                Possibly you (Kocho and cajk) are referring to the "Designated Assist Level" parameter under the Throttle tab (third page) of the programming software? Possibly setting this parameter to "By Display's Command" ties the throttle level to the PAS level and setting it to "9" makes the throttle lever capable of full power in any PAS level? Don't yet see how this differs between 750c and DPC-14.

• cajk
                cajk commented
                Editing a comment
                I'm not a Luna representative. I'm just another old guy messing around with electric bikes.

This question of what can be changed with which display is very confusing...for everyone. I have two BBS02 powered bikes and three different displays: a C-963, a DPC-14, and a 750c. The motor controllers on both of my bikes have been programmed (with the programming cable and a laptop computer) so they allow full 100% throttle in PAS 0 and also in PAS 1-9. I can swap all 3 of my displays back and forth, on either bike, and it does not affect the programming in the motor controller. It does not matter if I have selected 3, 5 or 9 PAS levels in the display. I have found no "advance setting" parameter in ANY of the 3 displays that changes the "100% throttle in all PAS levels" capability of my bikes. I believe this can ONLY be altered by reprogramming the motor controller with the cable and computer. This is my experience. Your results may be different.
                Last edited by cajk; 05-17-2017, 06:09 AM.

• ykick
                ykick commented
                Editing a comment
                You shouldn’t see 100% throttle in lower PAS modes when using stock Bafang controller programming. (Not the dashboard-display programming)

I probably started or contributed to that rumor when I put 750C on a stock Bafang programmed BBSXX and posted something about that behavior not realizing the error of my methods….

It’s probably time to do some more testing the 750C on various Bafang BBSXX’s to sort out some of these compounding weirdnesses?

I have just bought this display in the hope that I will not need a programming cable to do the task of a fine tune to my bbshd.
              instead of the more attractive design of this display I'm still to see anything upgraded about it. Is there some secret I don't know ?
              there seems to be a lot of people in happy with this display I feel that I was lead to believe that I could program alot of the advanced settings instead I have a display that can't do much except look good on my ride.
              what happened to full throttle mode on 0 assist???
              I now have to push the +button a million times before my throttle works correctly but that ramps up my peddle speed way to fast.
              I'd just like to say here that that's dangerous for of road riding... ok if your commuting.
              I feel this needs to be sorted.
              it's not fair that you have to be a pc computer genius just to get your hd working proper....

Comment

• ykick
                ykick commented
                Editing a comment
                You have stock Bafang programming IMO. That's why the throttle behaves the way it's doing. Luna Hot Rod controller programming is how you get 100% throttle in all PAS levels.

With stock controller programming you can set the dash speed limit down to something under 32km/h and then enjoy a noticeable bump in every PAS mode (except 0) when you dime the throttle. Throttle will over ride dash speed limit setting when using factory programming.

I have this display and not sure what size I should enter for my 26X4 Motobecane Boris X9. Sorry for the newbie question but I 'am a newbie to this. Thanks.

Comment

• cajk
                cajk commented
                Editing a comment
                You can try 26", and see if your "mile per hour" reading is accurate. If not, you may have to increase the "wheel size" entry to something bigger (27//28/29/30) to compensate for the super fat 4" tires. I had my wife go out in our car and run down the road at set speeds of 10mph, 15mph and 20mph while I chased her on our bikes. By doing that I was able to fine tune my MPH reading by adjusting the wheel size entry in my displays.

• cajk
                cajk commented
                Editing a comment
                I think it is crazy how the advertised size of a bike wheel almost never equates to the actual measured size. Who came up with this stupid system?

• Benny Can
                Benny Can commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a Sigma Rox 10.0 bike computer on my other bike. sigma has video instructions on how to measure tire size. Maybe I can use that way and round it off to the nearest value. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqLhRZJyBis

I've just finished my BBSHD build with the 750c display. This is my second ebike. The other is BBS02 with the stock DPC-10 display. I am completely happy with the response of the thumb throttle on the BBS02 set up. Does the 750c display NOT supply power in the same way to the thumb throttle?

Comment

Fat bike usually has the same diameter as 29. Thanks for everyone's info. I will be keeping my DPC-14.

Comment

Working...
                X