No announcement yet.

Luna's Prototype Display...please give ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What’s the latest on the Luna display? Any anticipated timing? Are we talking several months or years out? Or is something ore imminent? I’m strongly considering to replace my 965 display with something that will display volts at a minimum. Would love to know if this Luna display being discussed is a possibility anytime soon. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Luna View Post
      So luna is currently working on our own display for the bbshd and new bafang ultra drive.

What are some of the feature sets you guys would really like to see on this unit?

Speed
      battery guage (amp hour based)
      motor rpm
      pedal assist level
      average speed
      volt meter
      watt output

Those are the basic settings i quickly listed... now what more advanced setting would you like to see?

What about design of the display itself?

Color? or black and white? Color

Small or large? Large enough to show large digits otherwise they are hard to read in broad daylight and with the bike vibrations

integrated with light or throttle? Not for me

touch screen or not? Never

Open source or not?

GPS Maybe, depens on price.
      The information specs I use from the display are: PAS level. Those I would like to use but cannot in broad daylight, or the figures are too small: battery guage, volt meter (not very usefull if I could use the battery guage much better). Not usefull: average speed, actual speed (figures are too small to read while riding (vibrations). I use a cheap wired cycle computer for all related to speed including yearly compounding. It has big figures. I have a BSS02 on a road bike. I rarely ride on gravel roads.

Comment

If bms supported
        recharge cycle count
        your other odometer

Comment

If really ambitious
          brake light relay and
          turn signal flasher

Comment

Uncertain if this is still a viable topic but what the heck...

I'm more of a 'less is more' kind of guy. EggRider v2 style works for me - almost. There's getting to be too much crap on the handlebars. It would be convenient to have a remote switch setup that would allow PAS, etc. selection with a horn/bell switch configured to all be used with left thumb. Right side already has throttle and IGH shifter (mine anyway.) Just adding a user definable switch or two to an existing display remote would be perfect for me.

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that all I need is some buttons, screw the display, it offers pretty much nothing for me and just takes valuable real estate

If all they did was change the pedal assist level, I'd be good... two buttons for up/down and maybe a way to power it (push both for a second?)

What's wrong with the developers that make displays that won't go completely dark at night? I don't understand them, they clearly don't *ever* ride with dark adapted eyes...

Comment

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                "Dark adapted eyes"? In my metropolitan world that doesn't exist. Even inside my house that would be hard to achieve. Doesn't leaving the display in daytime LCD mode work for that? Or is there some level of light there also?
                I'd like to hear more about riding with "dark adapted eyes".I'm guessing that you're riding around the desert at night, but what level of lighting are you using on the bike? No lights? Tinted filters?

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                When the weather warms up in a couple months it will be mating season for the alligators. They move from place to place at night looking for mates.
                The last person that got eaten around here was walking their 3 pit bulls.That was in broad daylight.

Originally posted by Retrorockit
              "Dark adapted eyes"? In my metropolitan world that doesn't exist. Even inside my house that would be hard to achieve. Doesn't leaving the display in daytime LCD mode work for that? Or is there some level of light there also?
              I'd like to hear more about riding with "dark adapted eyes".I'm guessing that you're riding around the desert at night, but what level of lighting are you using on the bike? No lights? Tinted filters?
              No lights at all - completely dark... mostly desert but the mountains too... but even urban I require to be able to go "stealth"... one of the brilliant things about electric is they are stealthily quiet so why not at least be able to be visually stealthy?

In moonlight I can ride with zero issues off road with no light... if no moon or going a bit faster I may run a headlight but it's very low - not even close to what most conventional bike lights will go at just ~1 lumen. I also can run a red light instead to help preserve dark adaptation for dark if I choose but I won't go much faster than walking speed like that

My primary "instrument panel" is a garmin 276cx - great bike unit, has pedal cadence, wheel speed, heart rate, air temperature... and the backlight has a setting for either dimming (quite dim) after a timeout *or* going completely black - no backlight at all... at least they understand... I've got a batt-man too and before I bought it I contacted them and asked how to disable the backlight and they gave me instructions that were silly easy so it was a go - I don't need to look at it often anyway so I can just pull out a small light or use the headlight (it snaps on and off easily and quickly) to do a check

Another reason for a dark bike is stealth

Cockpit:

Click image for larger version  Name:	i-CTXHB3B-L.jpg Views:	0 Size:	308.1 KB ID:	121110

Comment

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                One of the worst things I see around here are people in dark clothing, on black bicycles with no reflectors or lights riding around at night. Usually all over the road. Almost invisible!
                Even in broad daylight I run the brightest/fastest strobe I can find. Older Niterider Lumina 650 or 350. On the rear an N/R Cherrybomb35 for it's bright syncopated strobe. I want to be seen. If that doesn't seem to be working a Coast Guard approved 130db air horn seems to do it.
                I run the same mirror you do but leave the cross piece out for a narrower profile in traffic.

• AZguy
                AZguy commented
                Editing a comment
                I got the garmin for $500 but use it on the 4x4, the car, the moto, etc. so enough other duties I'm ok with it... it's a fantastic bike unit - sort of a sweet spot for it, especially with the cadence sensor (I mounted it to the ring so it will give RPM even if I'm on throttle and not pedaling) and the wheel sensor makes the speed silly accurate, the temperature and heart rate monitor is all very cool... the logs open right up in google earth and it displays all the data... It was funny - I thought the heart rate would correlate well with cadence but not so much really... I don't ride on the streets but some of the multi-use you have to cross them and that's when heart rate would peak LOL - guess that's why I don't ride on them...

Same goes for night time riding... since I'm never really on the streets aside from an occasional foray on residential I way prefer stealth... I've got the rear reflector and run the 1 lumen to be legal on those short residential runs.

I'm with you on the mirror and removed that cross piece quite a while ago... I have another bike with narrower bars (650mm) that I left it on but these bars are pretty wide (750mm)

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                We've got our share of snakes. Mountain lions, and bears in the remote areas. Wild hogs too. But gators eat somebody every couple years or so. Due to the drainage canals they can show up anywhere. IDK if the Burmese Pythons have eaten anybody yet. But they do eat the gators sometimes.They're not in my neighborhood yet, but it's just a matter of time

Originally posted by Retrorocket
              When the weather warms up in a couple months it will be mating season for the alligators. They move from place to place at night looking for mates.
              The last person that got eaten around here was walking their 3 pit bulls.That was in broad daylight.
              Don't have alligators but plenty other nasty creatures - heck even the plants are nasty... all over the state lots of rattlesnakes, tons of diamondbacks in the desert, can't even begin to count how many of those I've come across, they're all pretty much daytime creatures... Gila monsters too but they aren't real common... scorpions on the other hand are everywhere, got stung by one last year - an AZ bark scorpion (most venomous in north america) and they are very active at night... used to wear sandals all the time but have rethought that... Got javolina but they aren't too interested in people but they will scrap with dogs and folks walking them have gotten messed up... mountain lions too and they are definitely out at night... even though folks have come into trouble with them I've never worried about it... have had the little desert foxes come right up to my feet when it's no moon and totally dark - as soon as you hit any light they scram... not any bigger than a small housecat... have come across Coatimundi too and they're docile

Plenty of black bear in the mountains

The diamondbacks can be nearly invisible in the day though - I think I've been fortunate to not ever getting hit by one, I've come too damn close to stepping on them several times and have almost ridden over them too

Click image for larger version

Name:	i-9dKs3WV.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	124.7 KB
ID:	121212

Comment

• calfee20
                calfee20 commented
                Editing a comment
                Last year there was a rattlesnake on the bike path in J B Starky park. Some guy was poking it with a stick to get it off the path. What scared the crap out of me was the snake was all coiled up and buzzing away and I couldn't hear it. That makes me rethink some of my off road excursions.

I was looking at that Garmin but I don't think I would need it enough. I was going to go to Quartzite this year but maybe next year. I will worry about snakes then.

• AZguy
                AZguy commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha - I generally poke them with sticks too just to get them to rattle =] That guy got poked so he was out of the way when I left on the moto... he was invisible from more than just a few feet away

I get it - hard to justify just for a bike, if other use case then easier... it's also on the large side for a bicycle box although they are very sturdy and the handlebar mount is super solid... clearly bicycles are an intended use tho with the pedal cadence sensor, wheel speed and heart rate sensor (pretty useless stuff in a car LOL)

If you pass through PHX metro, look me up - not far from 101&60 (not real far from I-10)... Quartzite's a bit of a trippy place - lot's of snowbirds RV'ing it in the winter but the Kofa area south is very cool, the river is nearby and there's some other cool stuff all around

We have snakes too.
              https://www.miamiherald.com/news/loc...s%20python.jpg

Comment

• AZguy
                AZguy commented
                Editing a comment
                I bet you can see that one before your only half meter away LOL =]

• Retrorockit
                Retrorockit commented
                Editing a comment
                They swallow their prey whole. From the size of that lump I'd say there is a pig or a deer that didn't see this one.
                These can run 20mph in a sprint.
                https://external-content.duckduckgo....jpg&f=1&nofb=1
                We actually have salt water crocodiles too. Every now and then one shows up on the beach. But they tend to prefer the cooling ponds of nuclear power plants so encounters with humans are rare.
                Last edited by Retrorockit; 01-28-2021, 11:59 PM.

I think showing what gear you are in would be great. I see gearsensor make a model GSGI (GearSensor with a Gear Indication) shift sensor that supports reporting what gear you are in. Sounds like it could be programmed into the display/controller to support multiple functions?

Comment

Working...
              X