Can anyone recommend a technique (or device) for testing battery packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can anyone recommend a technique (or device) for testing battery packs

I have a 52V "Shark Pack" of NCRb cells that seems to have decreased in capacity significantly after only 20-30 charge cycles. I usually only charge it to 80%. The few times I've charged it to 100% I haven't noticed the charger (1st gen LunaCharger) doing any balancing behavior. Just seems like i'm getting fewer WattHours out of it.

How can I get real empirical capacity numbers?

Hi,

You need to use a Batt-Man, Cycle analyst or a Power meter to measure how many Ah goes in or goes out

Comment

I've got a Luna Watt meter. No go?

Is the basic idea to assure that the same amount of Ah is going in (charging) as coming out (discharging)?
      Last edited by skymon; 06-29-2016, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Yes a watt meter is a power meter so it's good, you can measure what comes out when riding our what comes in when charging

Comment

Do a few 6-8 hour 100% charges. I think there's to much fretting over making sure our packs last longer and we may not be giving the packs the opportunity to fully charge and balance.
          Last edited by Louis; 06-29-2016, 06:41 PM.

Comment

sorry to be a little slow here. so I put the watt meter between the battery and the charger. It'll read Ah, Wh Ap Wp and Vm just like on discharge but its measuring current going into the battery?
            Can you flesh this out a little? Am I just comparing Ah in with Ah out?

What determines if things are as they should be?

Maybe I want to see a fully discharged battery take the full 13.5 Ah its rated for?
            Last edited by skymon; 06-29-2016, 07:21 PM.

Comment

• Sebz
              Sebz commented
              Editing a comment
              If you charge a empty batt to 100% with a power meter in between it should show you how many Ah goes in (your pack as 13.5ah capacity) but remember you won't be able to put another 13.5ah in it even if the pack is empty, there is still some Ah's inside, the BMS or the controller cuts the power a little before the pack is totally empty to prevent over discharging it.

Have you done a few 100% charges? Like for 8 hours and tested the results?

Comment

I have done a few 8 hour charges to 100%. Never noticed the charger cycling on and off though. Possible I just haven't paid close enough attention. (or waited long enough.) Last time I only got like 600 Wh before the BBS02 started to sputter.

I'll do a few full charges and make a couple of xt90 to xt60 adapters to allow the watt meter to connect to the charger lead.

Usually I over-think things. Thanks guys.

Comment

One more question:
                When using the power meter between the charger and the battery, the charger becomes the "source" and the battery becomes the "load", correct?

Comment

• Sebz
                  Sebz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Correct!!!
              Working...
              X