new battery with bluetooth ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new battery with bluetooth ?

I come a long way in a short time and I was ignorant on battery's . My current battery is a rear rack battery is a 20 LB weight that was made in China I got with a kit I ordered from amazon ( should have gotten from Luna ) This pack has " Zhuoneng " cells ( huh ? talk about off brand) 91 cells with a claimed MAH of 1750. I rode the bike for 23 miles on one charge . LOL !
    I have read horror stories of cheep cells dangers , and You tube vids of less then stellar tests of these Chinese cells.

So I started looking , and found this
    Interesting a : Bluetooth BMS ?
    I saw the Samsung 35e cells I have placed my order . I did some research and while they are not high power , they do have a high MAH rating . Perfect as range is what I am after and these have a long life cycle .
    We will see as I will post some findings especially how the Bluetooth works , be kinda cool if you could connect to your cell phone
    link to battery
    Product Description Note: Price includes 2 amp Charger and Hazmat shipping fee. The all new Jumbo Shark pack features several upgrades over the Hailong3 packs. A much more durable case with a sturdy mounting foot that truly mates better with existing water bottle mounts. We have fitted one of the most advanced Smart BMS (battery management system) you will find in any Ebike Battery.  This will help keep the battery safe, and reliable for the long-term and give the user access to blue tooth data for battery status and diagnosis. 52 volts (58.8v fully charged) 18650 Samsung 35E cells Approx 857 Watt Hours 2.0 amp charger included with purchase Locking pin is spring loaded and auto locks, nice feature Covered USB, power button, and charge port Press button battery gauge All shipped Lithium ion batteries will be shipped as hazmat class 9 and will require 7 to 14 days for delivery. Please Note* Once the battery has been shipped, there is now way to cancel the order because of Hazmat shipping rules and returning the battery to California Ebike is quite problematic because it will have to be shipped by a certified Hazmat shipper. Tracking number will be emailed as soon as available once the battery has shipped and the number becomes available. The tracking number will not show movement until the battery has cleared US Customs. About 1 week.

I have a few of the em3ev versions of these packs, and they work well. I think you'll be pretty happy with it. The tray, in particular, is much sturdier than the original, Hailong 1 version. There's also now a 21AH (14S6P) version that uses the same tray.

The battery BMS needs to be turned on before riding, via the charge level indicator display.

The em3ev version of the Bluetooth application is pretty crude.
    Last edited by ncmired; 06-09-2020, 04:38 PM.
    BBSHD/BBS02B builds: IGH 1 2 3 4 5 Derailleur 1

Comment

Originally posted by ncrkd View Post
      I have a few of the em3ev versions of these packs, and they work well. I think you'll be pretty happy with it. The tray, in particular, is much sturdier than the original, Hailong 1 version. There's also now a 21AH (14S6P) version that uses the same tray.

The battery BMS needs to be turned on before riding, via the charge level indicator display.

The em3ev version of the Bluetooth application is pretty crude.
      so how does the Bluetooth battery work exactly ? is their some kind of app ?

Comment

The only one I've used is an Android-specific, non Play protected, "Unknown Sources" version. It's fairly easy to trip up the app into a crash, but it does show the individual bank voltages as well as some log information.

There were no instructions for it - just a link. Perhaps California Ebike has a better one.

Comment

The only one I've used is an Android-specific, non Play protected, "Unknown Sources" version. It's fairly easy to trip up the app into a crash, but it does show the individual bank voltages as well as some log information.

There were no instructions for it - just a link. Perhaps California Ebike has a better one.
          hope so :) I did stumble across this You tube vid where the guy thru the BMS and his phone can actually limit the charging to ,for example , 80%
          Kinda long vid so fast foward to mid way
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQW3uuzNnkg

Comment

wow order placed about a month ago ... no battery :( their claiming covid 19 and customs problems .. should have waited to get one from Luna
            edit and update finally got a tracking number , 30 days to get a new battery , pathetic !
            Last edited by brothergc; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

well I got my battery today , charging it up right now . Amazed how much lighter my Bike is without the lead weight rear battery .
              Some what disappointed , because the included battery charger is with out any cooling fan , and it does get warm , I would guess over 100 deg F because its too uncomfortable to hold for long , already considering a better charger .
              ordered June 9th , received July 7th these are shipping from China and it is confirmed it is a EM3EV battery , came with no instructions or manual ! ( seriously ? )
              No idea how to get the app to monitor the BMS no info provided and a search on google play found no " BMS Doctor "
              https://california-ebike.com/wikis/d...bluetooth-bms/

sorry to vent but my last battery I buy from California E bike , 30 days to get a battery, no support, no manual, no bluetooth app
              I emailed them lets see what they say .....

Comment

no they replyed to a email and gave me some link to a android apk outside of google play , no way am I going to install some third party Chinese app , who knows that that would do .
                say i got a weird problem , I charged up my battery last night , went to work and came home, went to turn on the my bike thru the display controller and nothing , no power , plugged in the charger and the battery came to like , is their some kind of switch on the battery ? I am seeing none. Been nice if they had included a manual
                EDIT:
                never mind I figured it out , their is a button by the charge ind lights that shuts off and turns on the battery , whew , thought I had a bad battery
                Last edited by brothergc; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by brothergc View Post
                  never mind I figured it out , their is a button by the charge ind lights that shuts off and turns on the battery , whew , thought I had a bad battery
                  Glad you found the little battery activation switch - I went through the same scare.

Click image for larger version

Name:	67653931.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	109285

Comment

here is a link to the BMS app the EM3EV sent me https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.qtproject.dx
                    they were also nice enough to send me instructions
                    https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?...HWzWuh3tbIIY5Q
                    EDIT : in order for the app to work You must have location and blue tooth on not sure why one would need location services seems silly

I got instructions/and a on like manual if any one gets one of these batterys email them they are very helpfull
                    here is a link
                    https://em3ev.com/contact-us/

Comment

well I did my 1st ride on my new battery and I am impressed 19 miles round trip and and only down to 75% charge ( 53.6 v ) and that is using a combination of pedal assist , coasting , and full throttle the last 2 miles ( was starting to rain ) I immediately noticed increased power from the old 48 volt , lead weight rear rack battery .
                      Weight distribution and handling are vastly improved . Bike feels more manageable
                      I am getting more speed out of the bike , half throttle , in 8th gear , no pedal assist got me 32 MPH ! NICE !
                      Not very impressed with Bluetooth app , it just gives basic info on charge state , battery state , and temp
                      The led charge indicator lights are cool
                      LED Plate Indicator Meaning
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	battery lights.png Views:	0 Size:	302.5 KB ID:	109423
                      I got this from EM3EV
                      The small Power Switch is located next to the LED indicator. A short press will turn on the battery; a long press (about 3 to 4 seconds) will turn it off. The battery will automatically power down after 1 hour of inactivity. The battery will power on when connected to most controllers, it will also power on when charging. Although with some chargers it may be necessary to power on the battery before charging.

Hind sight being 20 20 I could have saved about a hundred bucks by buying this direct from EM3EV
                      https://em3ev.com/shop/em3ev-52v-14s...ebike-battery/
                      The company is quick to respond to emails and cared about its customers while California e bike is OK they seem not to know much about the battery's that they sell or even can offer support after the sale , even after emailing them I still had no manual . I give the battery 5 stars out of 5 , Calif. E Bike 2 of 5 stars

Comment

I like the EM3EV 17AH jumbo shark batteries too, and especially the much improved tray. They're also working on the 21AH tall case version (same tray), due out shortly they've said, which will be very tempting.

Comment

I like the EM3EV 17AH jumbo shark batteries too, and especially the much improved tray. They're also working on the 21AH tall case version (same tray), due out shortly they've said, which will be very tempting.
                          really ? Cool ! it would be tempting but My GT aggressor pro would probably not allow it due to size restrictions . I like how the bike look now much cleaner with
                          out the rear rack , geez what a weight savings

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200527_140218.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	109465
                          before and after picks
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	20200710_174821.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.60 MB ID:	109466

It is a tight fit on My 17 inch frame just enough to slide up to remove . The mount is nice came with the protective grommets for the frame

Comment

did another ride today , 25 miles on just pedal assist , and battery is still at 80% ( 56.1 v ) . Never broke a sweat , I suspect 50 mile range is doable using pedal assist and coasting where possible . The mounting is holding up very well , no issues riding over bumpy terrain . outstanding battery !

Comment

Working...
                            X