Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

LUNA SPS power switch.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    LUNA SPS power switch.

    Is there an alternative to this switch, its the 3rd one that has burnt up another of my 52V packs.

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_190118.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.36 MB ID:	108320

    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_190131.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.09 MB ID:	108318


    Click image for larger version  Name:	20200620_190410.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.63 MB ID:	108319​​
    Last edited by MichaelT; 06-21-2020, 09:39 PM.
    .
    .
    NO AIRBAGS .... WE DIE LIKE REAL MEN

    #2
    Hmmmm ...... Maybe I should add a power switch temp. sensor to my battery build.

    Have you asked Luna why you might keep going through them? They are rated for really high power, but that thing is ROASTED.

    Jose

    Comment


      #3
      Originally posted by DaHose View Post
      Hmmmm ...... that thing is ROASTED.

      Jose
      Too many fires.
      Last edited by MichaelT; 06-23-2020, 04:23 PM.
      .
      .
      NO AIRBAGS .... WE DIE LIKE REAL MEN

      Comment


        #4
        Well crap. I just ordered mine a month or two ago, and installed it into my battery last weekend. Sounds like I need to pull it.

        Jose

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by DaHose View Post
          Well crap. I just ordered mine a month or two ago, and installed it into my battery last weekend. Sounds like I need to pull it.

          Jose
          This is the 3rd Luna SPS that has failed, this is a cheap knockoff of the original https://www.espritmodel.com/search.aspx ... wer+switch ... If you don't buy the original, your always going to get compromised quality, this is why they call it a knock off.

          Where LUNA screwed up is the shortcut they took building the SPS, its a single layer, not double board / double mosfets like the original.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	emcotec-sps-70v1002002.jpg Views:	0 Size:	64.0 KB ID:	108394
          They run half the amps through either of the circuit boards and mosfets .... Fails Safe.
          You should use 2 of Lunas to have the same protection level as 1 original. https://www.espritmodel.com/emcotec-...v-60-120a.aspx
          Ends up coasting you so much more building a new pack than buying 1 original SPS should it fail.
          I do NOT trust the Luna SPS, very poorly designed and built, gunna burn your house down one day.

          Pardon my french, but, Luna fuked up by taking a shortcut in the circuit build, screwed their customer as a result. Squeezing all those amps (35) through a single layer build was just stupid of them to do.
          They took a well designed and engineered German built item and redesigned it to suit their needs, not the needs of the customer.
          Last edited by MichaelT; 06-23-2020, 05:08 PM.
          .
          .
          NO AIRBAGS .... WE DIE LIKE REAL MEN

          Comment


            #6
            Awww MAN! I would totally have bought the Emcotec if I knew it existed. Looks like it could even re-use the cool, blue power button from the Luna one I already have.


            I ended up buying a cutoff I found on Ebay that seems a better match for my 16S battery build.

            Click image for larger version  Name:	powercutoff1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	20.6 KB ID:	108427
            It has pretty massive bus bars to move power across the board, and it's rated really high, but also single board.
            Voltage: 12S-20S Li-Po / Li-Ion
            Max Current: 360А
            Max continuous Current: 60А

            edit: I had ordered the ebay cutoff above, but turns out I wouldn't receive it until August, so I cancelled the order. Looks like I will be going with the Emcotec after all. I'll save my Luna unit and figure out some other project to use it with.

            I think this post contains some incredibly valuable information for any of us going DIY for our battery builds.

            Jose
            Last edited by DaHose; 06-24-2020, 10:52 AM.

            Comment


              #7
              Ok then,

              I ordered the EmcoTec cutoff and selected the 60-120A version. What I received was the same single board design as what Luna is selling. To get the dual board Emcotect, you need the 100A model, and it costs $115. If the real problem is that the Luna units just can't handle the constant high load, then running two of the Luna units in parallel, is the best value we are going to find for a high power cutoff. I also wonder if water/moisture intrusion isn't the real issue for such a compact unit. That is easily resolved by just using a piece of marine heat shrink, or some potting.

              Provided running parallel works, the one concern would be knowing if one of the units fails. I think that could easily be resolved by using power switch A normally, then bridge the on/off to both switches, but wire in a second power LED to just switch B. That allows one power switch to turn both one, and if both LED's are lit, you are good.

              Jose

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by DaHose View Post
                or some potting.
                Is potted.

                Originally posted by DaHose View Post
                EmcoTec cutoff and selected the 60-120A version. What I received was the same single board design as what Luna is selling
                link to it?

                Originally posted by DaHose View Post
                I ended up buying a cutoff I found on Ebay that seems a better match for my 16S battery build.
                That is the old version Vedder SPS that has an open source plan for the PCB, anyone can DL the plan and have a PCB made, but your still a single board, I DONT trust the traces on it!
                The new version has the 2 HD mosfets, 6 layer heavier traces, I have the board here, I will never use a single board design again, its like running a BMS at its peak continuously.

                Click image for larger version

Name:	20200702_164502.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	108992
                .
                .
                NO AIRBAGS .... WE DIE LIKE REAL MEN

                Comment


                  #9
                  Here's the link to what I bought.

                  https://www.espritmodel.com/emcotec-...v-60-120a.aspx

                  It's the same link you posted up, MichaelT. The link buys you the 60/100A model, but the image is of the 100/200A model. The dual board version costs you $115, or $150 depending on which one you want. You can buy three of the Luna's for that price, or two of those heavier duty ones I saw on Ebay.

                  The Emcotec is really nicely engineered, but if the BIG issue is that the power our ebikes use needs to be split across 2 separate boards, then running the Luna model, or the heavier built ebay units in pairs still seems a decent option. Provided the physical size of running dual units fits your case, of course.

                  Now to return this Emcotec unit I ordered.

                  Jose

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by DaHose View Post
                    Here's the link to what I bought.

                    https://www.espritmodel.com/emcotec-...v-60-120a.aspx

                    It's the same link you posted up, MichaelT. The link buys you the 60/100A model, but the image is of the 100/200A model. The dual board version costs you $115, or $150 depending on which one you want. You can buy three of the Luna's for that price, or two of those heavier duty ones I saw on Ebay.

                    The Emcotec is really nicely engineered, but if the BIG issue is that the power our ebikes use needs to be split across 2 separate boards, then running the Luna model, or the heavier built ebay units in pairs still seems a decent option. Provided the physical size of running dual units fits your case, of course.

                    Now to return this Emcotec unit I ordered.

                    Jose
                    Agreed ... i'm gong with the dual board German engineered model, I drive a Mercedes.
                    .
                    .
                    NO AIRBAGS .... WE DIE LIKE REAL MEN

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Yepper. That big Emcotec is purdy.

                      I'm a BMW fan myself. ;-)

                      Jose

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X