Charging through discharge terminals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charging through discharge terminals

Hi guys so Eunorau seem like great bikes with reviews to match. Their barrel jack charging only allows for 4A though. Would a Y splitter on the connected extra battery plug allow for high amp charging?

Hi, and welcome to the forum. I think the consensus answer would be, "not safely" and fast high amperage charging would likely be detrimental to the pack life.

Perhaps consider purchasing another, like battery pack.

Comment

• STLJohn
      STLJohn commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. That is a great idea, could you point me to one? A battery to match a 15A charger would be fantastic.

• ncmired
      ncmired
      Giga Member
      ncmired commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know of any off the shelf shark case battery pack BMSs that will support a 15 amp charging rate - I think they're all limited to about 5 amps (to stay within the C-rate (https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/..._is_the_c_rate)). I trickle-charge my packs, which range 5,6 and 9 parallel cells, at 2 amps maximum, and I've ridden on them for years.

For the "purchasing another, like battery pack" suggestion, I was envisioning charging one pack while riding on another or carrying two packs for the long trips. This is what many of us do.
      ncmired
      Giga Member
      Last edited by ncmired; 05-20-2021, 08:18 AM.

From another thread

Comment

Ah. I would like to be able to hook a generator up while riding with a trailer, get unlimited range like the guy on Youtube.

Comment

I could hook the 15A charger to bike let it run as the aux battery. Then hook Eunorau's charger up to the disconnected aux battery.

Comment

Originally posted by STLJohn View Post
          Ah. I would like to be able to hook a generator up while riding with a trailer, get unlimited range like the guy on Youtube.
          I think it would be best to have a management system for that!

Comment

Would this work? It is from Eunorau. I would like to do this the right way.

Comment

If looking for "high amp charging" not likely "safely"... clearly depends on what you mean by that of course but pretty much not a good idea to charge through the discharge port - after all, why have both? They aren't designed to be charged through the discharge port (and vice versa)

If one is looking to use the battery like a hybrid car does, best to have a power management system setup to do that

Not that it can't be done with the simple stuff... just depends on your risk management perspective... my point with the video is that if someone doesn't comprehend the amount of energy in these batteries, how it can be let loose catastrophically and what it takes to prevent that, it's likely not the best bet

Me no

Unless I had that power management system

Comment

Working...
              X