48v battery repair?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

48v battery repair?

So I recently got a Gotrax bike that came with a 48v battery.

The battery does not charge nor shows any voltage.

Funny thing is it has some charge in the battery as it powers the bike. I have not ridden it to 0 yet but curious on what the issue is?

Is there a DIY out there that shows how to fix this? Either on the web or YouTube?

thanks (my first post)

I would check the voltage at the contacts where it connects with bike. Use a multi meter set to DC volts. Report back what you found. Also send some pictures of the bike and battery configuration.
    2021 Himiway All Terrain Cruiser

Comment

I did use a multi meter and it showed 0

Tested a similar battery and it showed around 48 volts. So I know I was checking it right lol

Comment

Originally posted by Mrcheap View Post
        I did use a multi meter and it showed 0

Tested a similar battery and it showed around 48 volts. So I know I was checking it right lol
        sounds like it is new battery time

Comment

Hello - similar question so figured I would piggyback here. Blix 48v battery pack was left six months without charging. Charger will not "engage" (charging light not turning from green to red) and battery shows "no bars" and will not power the bike. I have 33v at the battery terminals regardless if power switch is on or off. I have 54v across the entire battery, and I tested each pack and all are 3.9-4.1v. Thoughts? Should I reset BMS?

Comment

Originally posted by pistolpete1776 View Post
            Hello - similar question so figured I would piggyback here. Blix 48v battery pack was left six months without charging. Charger will not "engage" (charging light not turning from green to red) and battery shows "no bars" and will not power the bike. I have 33v at the battery terminals regardless if power switch is on or off. I have 54v across the entire battery, and I tested each pack and all are 3.9-4.1v. Thoughts? Should I reset BMS? eggy car
            i had the same problem, the charger wouldn't "work" and wouldn't power the bike. i checked each package and all are 3.9-4.1v you should reset the BMS for it to work.

Comment

Hey there!

Sounds like you've got a bit of a battery mystery on your hands with that Gotrax bike. If your multimeter is showing 0 volts but the bike still powers on, that's pretty odd. It's a good sign you tested another battery and got a normal reading, so at least we know your multimeter is working fine.

From what you described, it might indeed be time for a new battery. Batteries can sometimes act up in weird ways, especially if they show no voltage but still have some juice in them. It's like having a car with an empty gas tank but it still runs - doesn't make much sense, right?

With the Blix 48v battery issue, it's interesting you're getting 33v at the terminals and 54v across the battery. Those individual pack voltages seem okay, but if the charger isn't engaging and the battery isn't powering the bike, resetting the BMS (Battery Management System) might be a good step. It's like giving your battery a little reboot to see if it helps sort things out.

There are definitely some DIY guides and YouTube videos out there that could guide you through these processes. Just make sure to follow the safety instructions, as messing with batteries can be risky business if not done correctly.​

Comment

A 48volt battery actually has a maximum output (@100% charge) of 54volts. A 52volt battery actually has a maximum output (@100% charge) of 59volts.
                So, that 52volt battery, after 6 or 7 miles of riding, will have dwindled down to 54volts. You now have a “48volt battery at 100% charge”. The downside is that, the 48volt battery has a minimum discharge of39volts, at which point the battery BMS(Battery Management System--located inside the “head” of the battery casing) will shut down the battery completely-- as a safeguard. However, the “up” 52volt battery has a minimum discharge of 42volts (3 volts more than the 48vbattery). So, when that minimum voltage is attained, the 52voltbattery will shut down. Thus, your “battery” icon on the 48voltebike CDU display, still showing 1 or 2 bars (out of 5), will be unreliable.​
                Electric Bike Lover

Comment

Working...
                X