Did I damage the bms?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did I damage the bms?

I was trying to measure the battery at the connector but I had my multimeter leads unfused and I torched on of the pins. Is the bms most likely fried, is there a way to check? I would like to rebuild this battery with new cells but the bms is paired to the controller and I need it to work. It's a tranzx 48v from 2015 I think.Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240212_185109248.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	923.1 KB
ID:	166309
    Attached Files

Meter leads normally are not fused, there may be fuses inside the meter depending on the model. What is that pin for? And what did you short it too? If it was damaged could depend on what sort of voltage you sent where. If it was a single cells worth anywhere other than some sort of data or sensor line you would not think would kill anything. Sending the whole pack voltage may be a differnt story. Since you said there is some sort of pairing that does imply there is some sort of data line and unless its a really outstanding design full pack voltage on or though a data line would likely be bad.

Comment

The pin the the jumper coming off the bms. I shorted it to the far right pin which I think is ground. The battery isn't working so I don't think it would be full voltage but I'm not sure
      Attached Files

Comment

That connector plugs into a circuit board that is presumably the BMS? If so then those wires probably go to the individual cell groups and maybe thermal sensors so unless you held it long enough that the wires or connection at the other end were damaged the BMS should be alright since it wasn't connected.

And now all that fuse stuff makes sense, its not an especially good meter design and you were either mis using it or forgot to swap the leads back. What most people do unless its a dedicated meter that is only used for 'high' current amp readings is as soon as you take the amp reading you were after moving the lead back to the normal socket. Even if you may be taking another amp reading soon we still at least disconnect it so we don't end up forgetting and shorting something out.

Comment

• AZguy
          AZguy commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup... meter in DC volts but leads in high current (pretty much a short)... wish I could say I never done that.... but... you are right - always move leads back to volts (safe) after any current measurements... Some of my meters have the high current fused but the cheap ones only seldom do and it's still a royal PIA if you blow the fuse...
      Working...
      X