Shark question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shark question

I have read most if not all of the posts in the battery forums but I still have questions. The Shark batt pack has a button to check battery status. There are 4 leds. In my case on full charge 3 leds are green starting on the left side and the 4th is red. Is this normal? Seems odd that there would be a red led. It appears that as the battery wears down the leds go off starting on the left. One other thing. I read that one should charge the battery to 100% periodically and to leave it on the charger for 8 hours. I have the cheap Lunacharger and it shuts off when the battery is fully charged which is likely to be less than 8 hours so what is the point of leaving it on longer?

There is no point to leaving it on longer. It would make sense if it was capable of turning back on again if/when the BMS bled down the pack to equalize the pack voltage to the lowest cell, but that's not how it works. There seems to be no end to the confusion about how the chargers work in conjunction with the battery pack BMS. If you want to or think you need to equalize the pack periodically then here is my suggestion. Charge until the charger shuts off then take battery off the charger and wait a few hours to give the BMS time to do its thing. Then you can reconnect the charger again and bring the pack up to full voltage. If you want you can check the pack with a voltmeter after charging the first time and compare that with the reading yu get after waiting a few hours just to see if any bleed down has occurred. I don't suspect that is likely with a new battery that hasn't had many discharge cycles.

Comment

So where did the idea that the Luna Charger would automatically come back on after bleed down come from? (Not that mine ever has.)

Comment

skymon the charger mentioned here is not the 300w Luna charger , the 300w Luna Charger will cycle on/off if required.

Comment

• skymon
          skymon commented
          Editing a comment
          Oops. You're right. Missed that.

I charged my battery and checked it with my multimeter. It showed 58.4w and would not take anymore. I guess this is about right. How far down will this battery go before it runs out of power? How far down can I safely run this battery down to and still maximize my recharging cycles. I still don't know why the led lights are 3 green and one red but no one else seems to know either so I guess that is how it is.

Comment

i read some "i forgot which thread here it was" they said that leaving the battery plugged in to the charger for very long time will automatically balance the battery, they said luna 300w charger behavior will automatically turn on / off itself. Is this true? Coz I tried it on my shark pack I left on plugged in to the charger over night and what it does is charger only drains my battery and i observed it for an hour and i didn't hear any noise from the charger at all.

2nd question is, how will you know if you need to balance your battery pack? I only charge mine 70-90% most of the time coz it takes time to full charge.

Comment

• John46
            John46 commented
            Editing a comment
            I am to new to this stuff to be of much help but my cheapo Luna charger shuts off. I assume if for some reason the battery drained down it would start again.
        Working...
        X