X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Red and Black wires spark? No Power?

Hey there
    I am looking for some help
    I was performing one of the last steps in completing my new E-bike Mountain Bike.
    I removed the tape of the red and black wires off my New 52v 11.5 ah shark pack
    and Yes both wires touched which gave off a great big spark. Praying nothing was wrong I finished soldering, connecting the wires, hooked everything up but no power. The power button at the top when pressed lights up with 4 leds lights indicating full charge. I charged battery to 80% the day before
    I placed a volt meter on battery terminals one day later and it reads around 4 volts.
    What did I do to my battery?
    Can it be fixed?
    If it can how.

Thanks

Paul

You need to flash your pack, but always always avoid the event first and foremost. Keep those wires protected. You might well be ok, the BMS shutdown. As soon as I find it I'll post the procedure. Whenever adding connectors or soldering the battery leads to the motor leads, take the battery out of the bracket. Get with support in the meantime and get a flash kit on it's way.

Comment

• Paul
      Paul commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for your reply,
      What does flash my pack look like? The BMS shutdown does that involve a new part that needs be purched and installed?
      or can it be reset like a blown fuse? Who should I contact for support?
      Thanks for your Support.

http://lunacycle.com/jumping-your-lu...-battery-pack/

Comment

I followed thsee instructions exactly but unfortunately this did not restart my battery.
      My pack does show around 4 to high 3 volt reading on my battery. When I press the battery level indicator all led lights are on.

Comment

Send a note to support. I'll chase more info down tomorrow.

Comment

Sometimes connecting to the charger will reset a tripped BMS. Briefly charge it and see if that helps.
          Alan B

Comment

Hey Paul,

dont worry at worst you fried the bms when you sparked those wires and we can always send you a new bms if you are comfortable soldering the 4 wires it requires to hook it up. But hopefully there is a way we can trip the bms. Contact support@lunacycle.com as Lous said and we will take care of you and gett your new bike going as fast as possible....

Comment

• Paul
              Paul commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I just took my pack apart. Where the Red and yellow connect to the BMS board there is a burn out.
              It is definitely fried.

I can't quite see one of the connections. I assume this is the basic charger with a coax plug that goes into the Shark. I have a Shark, the basic charger, and the Luna Charger. I'm guessing I need a plug that mates to the charger, with two wires that are stripped, and these get touched to the contacts on the bottom of the battery? I haven't had any problem, but I'd like to know the procedure. There are other connections in the picture on your 'jump' page. The battery charge port has a connector in it, as you are jumping with the bare wires. That confuses me. Where are the two bare wires coming from, and is the battery being charged at the same time through the charge port?

Comment

The XT 60 with bare wires I'd plugged into the charger. Using the charger to jump the pack.

Comment

• GeorgeS
                GeorgeS commented
                Editing a comment
                OK, so if I use the upgrade charger with an XT60 output I just take a pigtail that is stripped, plug that into the XT60, and touch the bare wires to the terminals on the underside of the Shark, observing polarity. No other connections.

Try unplugging the white plug which is the 14 pin plug going to all the cell banks and wait a minute and then plug it back in. Then try charging the pack.

If that does not work shoot me a PM and we will work on getting you a BMS sent.

Comment

GeorgeS GS, just like this picture except you have XT60 connectors.
                https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/71...gATJvUReAVNQJn

Comment

I think you may have a faulty BMS connected to your battery. I would cut both the (B-) and (P-) leads so that that your discharge wires are no longer going through the BMS. Join these two black wires together to complete the circuit. Then get a multimeter and measure the voltage to see if you are reading the correct voltage. Most likely you will no longer be reading the 4v you read earlier as ylyour battery is no linger running through the BMS. If you are reading a much higher voltage that before then i would suggest to buy another BMS to replace the old BMS which you may have blown when you shorted the red and black against each other. Let me know how you went.

Comment

• 73Eldo
                    73Eldo
                    Giga Member
                    73Eldo commented
                    Editing a comment
                    This is an almost 6 year old thread that hasn't had any activity on it since just after it was started and the original poster hasn't been online since. Its awesome you are wanting to help but it can be confusing to respond to really old treads especially when the participants haven't been around for a long time either. If you click on the persons name under their avatar you can see when they were last online. If they haven't been here in over a year there is about a 90% chance they will never be back.

LOL!...yeah, 73Eldo, these kind of threads are kind of aggravating. If the OP's problem was solved by one of the examples of advice provided, we'll never know...might help one of us out in the future in a similar case. The threads I hate the worst...and you see it on many forums in many venues...are the ones where someone starts a thread and throws a "grenade" about an issue, problem, brand, etc., but never comes back to answer any questions or followup. I'd still like to hear Joe Breeze's details on the "catastrophic failure" mentioned on that other thread. I have one of those chainrings, and I'd like to know if I'm going to die...LOL!

Comment

Working...
                  X