Bottle battery suddenly died

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottle battery suddenly died

I have a 52v Panasonic NCRB 13.5ah bottle battery that suddenly died on my way to work. Riding on flat road, had a good charge, charge lights will not come on, cycled the on/off switch. Checked the fuse but it is covered in white so I can't see if it is blown. Any help would be appreciated.

If you have a multi-meter you could check the fuse with the continuity setting (beeps when there is a complete circuit)

Comment

Thanks. I'll try that.

Comment

Avoid continuity test with DVM/DMM on live circuits. Check for voltage before attempting to connect leads for continuity test.

I’m in the SD area if you get stuck and need to look into this a little deeper with someone who has been inside a few battery packs over the years?

No charge light when connected to charger?

Comment

Originally posted by ykick View Post
          Avoid continuity test with DVM/DMM on live circuits. Check for voltage before attempting to connect leads for continuity test.

I’m in the SD area if you get stuck and need to look into this a little deeper with someone who has been inside a few battery packs over the years?

No charge light when connected to charger?
          thanks. I jump started the battery today and got it working, shows about 1/2 charged but when i hook it up to the charger it shows the battery fully charged when it's not. Does jumpstarting the battery with the charger mess up the charger sometimes?

Comment

What is the pack voltage at the charge terminals?

That sounds like what would happen with a 48V charger. Is this the same charger you always used before with success?

Make sure it's a 52V charger, not a 48V charger. It should be labelled.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post
              What is the pack voltage at the charge terminals?

That sounds like what would happen with a 48V charger. Is this the same charger you always used before with success?

Make sure it's a 52V charger, not a 48V charger. It should be labelled.
              it is a 52v charger. The battery is 48.7v according to my multimeter. The charger fuse is blown, don't know if it happened when I jump started the battery (didn't spark when I touched the two leads to the battery). Hard fuse size to find, had to order it off Amazon.

Comment

I see, OK.

Hope the fuse does the trick.
                Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Me too. Thanks for everyone's suggestions.

Comment

is it possible for the barrel plug in the battery to go bad. The reason I ask is because when I jump start the battery the fan goes on in the charger and it reads 50.1. When I hook up the barrel plug from the charger to the battery the fan does not come on and it reads 58.4

Comment

Yes hypothetically but it is rare. I have seen it only couple times in a support case. One time the guy ended up opening it up and bypassing the charge port, and just putting an xt60 on instead. Worked fine after that. Another time the guy got himself a charge port or replacement case, but that's more involved and harder to find

Comment

Originally posted by paxtana View Post
                        Yes hypothetically but it is rare. I have seen it only couple times in a support case. One time the guy ended up opening it up and bypassing the charge port, and just putting an xt60 on instead. Worked fine after that. Another time the guy got himself a charge port or replacement case, but that's more involved and harder to find
                        is there a way to check the barrel plug in the battery?

Comment

Stick an xt60 barrel adapter into the charge port and stick your multimeter in the xt60. If you don't see voltage (after trying to jumpstart it) then it may be the port (or the adapter is broken)

Bypass the port with your multimeter by pushing the leads through the insulation on the wires going to the charge port. If you now see voltage it's the charge port. If not then it's probably the BMS. If it's BMS either it needs replacement or unplugged from harness to reset it

.....Worth noting that when I say to use an xt60 barrel adapter I do not mean the same one you pull off your charger. I mean a new one. Xt60 barrel adapters can wear out.

Comment

OK, I'm an idiot. I am not an electrician and I decided to check volts from the barrel plug on the battery. BAD IDEA, big spark and fried barrel plug on the battery. Jumpstarted the battery with the charger and It seams to work so I think the battery is OK. What I would like to do is swap out the barrel plug on the battery with an XT90-S Connector set with pigtails and connect the other half to my charger. Good or bad idea and is this even possible. Thanks for any help.

Comment

That often happens if trying to measure right from the port and is why it's a good idea to use a new adapter to get the multimeter reading.

Sounds like the port is working or at least was until shorting it, you might just fix it with new adapter if port is not totally fried. yes you could rewire with xt90. Probably run the pigtail wires right out the hole where the port is and fill in the spaces with silicone.

Comment

Working...
                              X