Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

53V after 22 miles with 52V battery, is that good? Please check my math...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It doesn't matter how many times you charge it. What matters is how many times you empty it.

Comment

I put 5000 miles on last year.. 35 miles a charge average. Normally driving over 20 mph(11.5. Ah battery) 142.? Cycles.
      No deterioration noted.
      I am now pushing 25 mph averages. Time is a factor in battery as well as cycles. I intend on using it up before (use by date). That looks difficult.

Comment

So I've been a little disappointed in the apparent range when charging to 80% instead of 100%. In an earlier post I noted my first commute to work, after charging to 100%, I got home in the afternoon after 32+ miles with more than 51 volts still showing on the display. That seemed really great to me.

Now I've been charging to 80%, so I'm starting out with around 55.x volts, and when I get to work I barely have 50-51 volts. This past Friday I took a different route home which is slightly shorter than my normal route, but has more hills and more traffic. Plus I had gone about 2 or 3 miles to run an errand during lunch. About 1 mile from home in the afternoon I think it was hitting the LVC? It felt like the motor was cutting out intermittently. The DPC-14 display showed red on the battery symbol, and the voltage was drooping into the 41.x volt range with the motor running. Whenever I would stop or switch off PAS to 0, the battery would recover to around 43 volts.

I'm hoping I didn't run it too hard. I'm charging 3 or 4 times a week, and really hoping to maximize the battery life because it's a huge expense to me. Should I be charging to 100% once a month (every 12-16 charge cycles) or more like every couple of weeks (every 6-8 charge cycles)? I read a comment on one article that mentions not letting it sit at 100% overnight, and instead charging to 80% the night before, and then bringing the pack up to 90% just before riding in the morning. Would that work okay without having a detrimental effect on pack life? I feel like having that little extra 10% would be just enough to make the round trip work commute without running the pack too low.

Comment

If you haven't tried switching your display to have 9 levels of assist try that, it will give you some levels in between the ones you are using now and that may work better for you. You can also reprogram the settings to a little bit lower setting and that might help you, if you don't want to charge to 90%. If you are still using the throttle to get you going that uses a lot of battery also, if you pedal to get yourself going that will increase your range. Part of the fun of these things is learning how to get it to work well for what ever it's being used for.

Comment

Originally posted by oledave View Post
            If you haven't tried switching your display to have 9 levels of assist try that, it will give you some levels in between the ones you are using now and that may work better for you. You can also reprogram the settings to a little bit lower setting and that might help you, if you don't want to charge to 90%. If you are still using the throttle to get you going that uses a lot of battery also, if you pedal to get yourself going that will increase your range. Part of the fun of these things is learning how to get it to work well for what ever it's being used for.
            Thanks, I got the programming cable last week but still haven't connected it up to check out the settings. Part of the reason I've been using throttle off the line is because my chain line is so bad, and my bike is so heavy that it's really hard to get it going under pedal power in 4th or 3rd gear. 2nd gear isn't as bad, but I'd really like my lowest gear available. But with the chain line I'd rather not apply power through that gear for fear of breaking something.

Also I did do the 80% charging night before, than topping off to 90% the morning of, on Friday's commute, and it seems to work pretty well. Still had some volts left when I got home without completely draining or getting near LVC.

Comment

Working...
            X