Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New ebike battery smells very "electronic'y". Especially at the plug pins, normal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New ebike battery smells very "electronic'y". Especially at the plug pins, normal?

i got a vilano electric bike and it comes with a samsung 36v 8.8ah or so they say... anyway it has been working fine for about 100 kms so far. however, everytime i pull it out for charging i smell a hint of "electronics" smell. it's not super strong, nor sweet. but it is very noticable, is this normal?

hard to describe the smell , it's not bad, but it is somewhat distinct

All electronics do offgassing of volatile organic compounds (VOCs). As well as a lot of other modern materials. Especially if it gets warm. It is likely normal. Not to say breathing VOCs is particularly good for you but that's life. Personally I use a bunch of plants in my house that according to NASA studies show they are particularly good at scrubbing VOCs from the air.
    They plan on bringing these plants into space because sealed space stations are chock full of VOCs. Neat.

Comment

This happened to me with my new batteries. The smell went away soon. I had forgotten all about it until I read this thread.

Comment

The worst is those bed in a box foam mattresses sold online. Urethane foam offgasses like crazy if you don't control the production process, which few companies do since VOC offgassing is completely unregulated by the federal government.

People lay down on the mattress basically directly inhaling this thing giving off so much chemicals it can make them sick, cause headaches etc.. which really isn't much of a surprise given that chronic exposure to many of these chemicals can cause cancer and neurological conditions.

This stuff is so ubiquitous it's really hard to get away from it, hell even a ten year old kitchen countertop can still be offgassing formaldehyde. Unless you drop a few thousand on a photoionization detector you probably would never fully know what you're being exposed to.

Comment

Working...
        X