New Luna 48 volt chargers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Luna 48 volt chargers

Hi I have 3 48 volt packs hooked together in series to make a 38 A/H mega pack. When I separate the 3 packs and charge them individually, in which I have to do since you must use the bms ports to charge.
    When I use my generic 3 amp chargers an 2 of the packs, they both charge up to 54 volts or higher if I leave them on. But when I use my New Luna charger on my biggest pack, I set it at 3 amps and 100% charge but the voltage only goes up to 54 volts and the amps drop to .80 and it stays there!???! How come?
    Last edited by kris-chevyz24; 09-10-2018, 06:10 PM. Reason: I meant I hooked them in PARALLEL Not Series LOL

Originally posted by kris-chevyz24 View Post
    Hi I have 3 48 volt packs hooked together in series to make a 38 A/H mega pack. When I separate the 3 packs and charge them individually, in which I have to do since you must use the bms ports to charge.
    When I use my generic 3 amp chargers an 2 of the packs, they both charge up to 54 volts or higher if I leave them on. But when I use my New Luna charger on my biggest pack, I set it at 3 amps and 100% charge but the voltage only goes up to 54 volts and the amps drop to .80 and it stays there!???! How come?
    This does not answer your question, but I hope that you are connecting the batteries in parallel in order to increase the capacity. You would connect them in series for a 144V system.

What are the capacities (expressed in Ah) of the three batteries?

After the Amps drop to .80, if you leave it plugged in for 45 minutes or so (to allow cell balancing), do you end up with a battery that is charged to approximately 54V?

Can you post a picture of the "Amps dropping to .80"? This is on the charger display? I wonder if the new Luna charger purposely lowers its charging current during the balancing cycle.

What happens if you try the generic charger on the biggest battery? What happens if you try the new Luna charger on one of the other (presumably smaller capacity) batteries?
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 09-09-2018, 09:10 PM.

Comment

• kris-chevyz24
      kris-chevyz24 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, yes I did a typo. I am in fact wiring them in Parallel to make a big 48 volt pack. Yes when I use the Luna charger on the smaller pack, it does the same thing. The generic 48 volt chargers I have one 3 amp the other 2 amp, charge the packs faster then the Luna charger does????!! I use the 2 amp charger on the small 10 A/H pack then I use the 3 amp charger on the 13 A/H pack and the Luna on 3 amps on my 15.5 A/H pack.

Read me... :-)
    See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub motor E-Bike build HERE.

Comment

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      Dang, that is some good info!

• MoneyPit
      MoneyPit commented
      Editing a comment
      I've always just done a single monthly 100% cycle for a balance charge. I leave it so it can balance... but just did one. I'll expand that to 2-3 cycles.

If I charge my 48 volt 10 a/h pack at 2 amps at the 90% setting in which the Luna charger says is 53.0 volts, how come within 5 mins of sitting does my battery as well as the display on the shut off charger only read 52.1 volts??

Comment

Working...
    X