Balance charging?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Balance charging?

Hey all: Absolutely newbie here. I just begin the hobby and looking forward to build my very first battery pack using 18650 cells. Read/watched tons of reviews online. But the concept of balanced charging confuses me. Is balance charging only for batteries that connected in series? Say if I connect 10 batteries in parallel, I could just connect my charger to the positive/negative side and let all batteries be charged at the same time? Do I need to charge them individually in this case?

Originally posted by libqw View Post
    Is balance charging only for batteries that connected in series?
    Yes

Say if I connect 10 batteries in parallel, I could just connect my charger to the positive/negative side and let all batteries be charged at the same time?
    Yes

Do I need to charge them individually in this case?
    No

Comment

Thanks for the reply! That clarified for me. Another newbie question: I purchased a iMax B6AC charger, if I connect 10 batteries in parallel, set the charger to, say 4.2V and 5Amp, given the fact that the 10 batteries has different capacity, would I be damaging some of the batteries?

Or, put it this way: if I set the charger to 4.2 and 1amp to charge one battery, what happens when the battery is fully charged? Is the current flow going to stop by itself? If it's not I imagine the battery will be damaged?

Comment

1. Theoretically yes, practically - maybe
        2. A Li-ion charger controls charging process. A Li-ion cell is charged in 2 phases: CC and CV. At CV phase when the current reaches some pre-defined threshold the charger stops charging.

Comment

I see, thanks for the reply!

Comment

Working...
          X