52V Luna Bottle packs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

52V Luna Bottle packs

I bought three NCRB 13.5 ah bottle packs for my multiple (or soon to be) ebikes. I wanted the batteries to be all the same, so I can switch them around between the bikes as needed. One of my ebikes, though, will be using the 30A continuous MP5 on a mtn bike where I will be doing some long up hill climbs. And I just noticed that the NCRB is only good for short bursts at 30A and should only be used 25A continuous. For 30A continous, the PF 11.5 ah is recommended. So I have a couple questions.

1. What happens when you run 30A continuous on the NCRB 13.5 ah pack? Will it be harmed, or does it just back off the power output after a time?

2. If I bought another pack, the high power PF 11.5 ah, could I also use that battery on the bottle cases that came with my NCRB 13.5 packs? Or are there some electronics in the bottle case that is specific to the type of battery?

You can use any battery that fits your mount. You just cannot combine two unlike batteries to make a double sized one. I have the same cells in a Shark and in my experience, if you are in the correct gear you won't ever need 30a continuous for long enough to overheat the pack. If you "lug" the motor at full throttle it will get hot as per Karl and others, but it hasn't happened to me yet since I always keep the motor spinning at the top of the rev range.

Comment

Looking at the product specs and options, it appears that everything is the same except for the cells so you would be OK. There is no indication that the BMS is set differently or that the mechanical connection to the bike is different. The units themselves should be interchangeable without issue. If you pull 30A long enough on the NCRB pack it will get hot and heat = early death. I would do it myself but install a cheap thermo-sensor as deep into the bottle as you can get without doing any dangerous disassembly. Even if it dosent read the core temp , you can get an idea of where you are heatwise as compared to running say 20A continuous.

Comment

Its hard to run 30 amps continuous.... you have to be climbing a big hill in the wrong gear..... but if you do manage to run 30 amp continous too long and the ncrb pack heats up....it will shut itself down before doing any damage to the cells. The BMS has two temperature probes which loook out for the safety of the pack.IF its gets too hot it just shuts down and will not come on again until it cools down.

Comment

This is an MP5, not a mid drive, so no gearing involved on the motor side. But good to know that the NCRB pack can't be damaged.

Comment

Working...
          X