72v 26ah vs 72v 40ah please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

72v 26ah vs 72v 40ah please help

hello everyone and thanks for the add,ime in the proses of ordering a bike from china and would appreciate some advice on the battery pack choices, i have the option of 72v 26ah or 72v 40ah and also 3000w hub motor or 5000w motor,i don't really need extreme high speeds the main thing i require is lots of torque for the hills on the land and woods i will be riding in,ime unsure if the 3000w 72v 26ah would have enough,power and range,or would the 5000w 72v 26ah just chew through the battery to quick therefore do i get the 40ah or is this overkill,there is also a 48v 26ah 3000w choice,ive gone with the 21" motorcycle rims and tyres as i think this would help with torque and grip,just trying to get the right combo,any advice apreciated,thanks

Volts X Amps = Watts. So 72x40=2880watts. So if i'm not mistaken you can run something drawing 2880 watts for 1 hour, but you would drain the battery to zero. Bigger is always better for battery. If you want more torque you might consider a mid drive motor.

Comment

hi, maybe 3000w would be a better choice for that battery then, don't really fancy a mid-drive, thanks for the reply

Comment

Volts X Amps does = Watts (power)

But you have Volts and AmpHours, not amps - totally different thing

Volts X AmpHours = WattHours (energy)

You need to consider the battery maximum Amps in order to figure out max watts

With the large batteries you are talking about the maximum Amps is likely a function of the BMS in the battery

Comment

Originally posted by meg mog View Post
          hello everyone and thanks for the add,ime in the proses of ordering a bike from china and would appreciate some advice on the battery pack choices, i have the option of 72v 26ah or 72v 40ah and also 3000w hub motor or 5000w motor,i don't really need extreme high speeds the main thing i require is lots of torque for the hills on the land and woods i will be riding in,ime unsure if the 3000w 72v 26ah would have enough,power and range,or would the 5000w 72v 26ah just chew through the battery to quick therefore do i get the 40ah or is this overkill,there is also a 48v 26ah 3000w choice,ive gone with the 21" motorcycle rims and tyres as i think this would help with torque and grip,just trying to get the right combo,any advice apreciated,thanks
          A 5000 watt hub motor can run on say 100 watts or 5000 or maybe 10,000 watts it all depends on the controller. I have a 5000 watt Mxus motor and I set the PAS to 500 watts and can go a little over 20 MPH. If I keep it under 15 mph I will get 15 watts per mile. So 72 volts times 26ah divided by 15 watts per mile = 124 mile maximum range.

Comment

thats good range seems like the 40ah is way too much as i probably wont be gowing over 25/30 miles thanks

Comment

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              Just remember most people think 20- 30 miles of range is fine before they have their first ebike. Then they realize it is not enough. You will start doing things with the bike you had not planned on and will need more range.

My first battery was a 52V 10.5 Ahr and it was good for around 30 miles. My first time out, my first test drive I was just going to go around the block. Well I rode all over town and nearly exhausted the battery on my first trip. I knew within the first 10 miles that I would need more range.

If you are going to go with a hum motor that will need a separate controller do yourself a favor and go with 72 volts. It just opens up so many possibilities.

ive got a 500w 36v not sure about the ah its about 20 i think. had it since 2013 and the battery is on its way out now ,i did nearly 20 miles one day furtherest ive been and my back was killing me LOL, ime ready for an upgrade more range and power would be nice,looking for a nice balance between the motor and battery so i can keep the weight down,anything over my 500w 36v would be in improvement ,ill be mostly in the woods so torque is my main priority does higher wattage motor = more torque ,also do you think a higher wattage motor operating at say 60/70% is better than a lower wattage motor operating at 100% regarding heat and battery consumption,thanks

Comment

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              You mentioned "in the woods". So are you going to be riding single track MTB style or going down gravel roads. What is your first priority.

yea just gravel tracks muddy tracks,no down hill racing stuff really

Comment

Originally posted by meg mog View Post
              yea just gravel tracks muddy tracks,no down hill racing stuff really
              I don't know if this is the direction that you would like to go in but this is my bike.

Click image for larger version Name:	WP_20190521_14_57_23_Pro.jpg Views:	1 Size:	268.1 KB ID:	87246

I don't like mud and I am to old to be dodging stumps and big rocks but I do like pathways and good fire roads.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WP_20180605_12_00_56_Pro.jpg Views:	16 Size:	259.5 KB ID:	66366

Here is my build thread. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...an-electra-fat

Comment

ive had a rethink and just going to upgrade my current bike too many options and the price just keeps growing up ima going to build a battery for my bike,thanks

Comment

Working...
                X