kWeld - "Next level" DIY battery spot welder

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kWeld - "Next level" DIY battery spot welder

It originally started as a one-off, but through continuous support from https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...p?f=14&t=89039 and http://www.eevblog.com/forum/project...tempting-here/ , I am now able to offer my solution as a kit for purchase.

https://www.kicksurfer.de/index.php/...ot-welder-kit/

Here are some key specs of my system:

Hardware:
    Input voltage for welding: 12V – 30V
    Extremely rugged MOSFET-based power switch and mechanical current bus design
    Maximum switch current: 2000A
    Power switch internal resistance: 120µOhm
    Logic supplied directly from battery – no need for a separate auxiliary power supply

Software:
    Central weld control algorithm uses a Joule metering approach instead of a simple timer, eliminating the need for two-pulse firing and providing more consistent welds – the amount of energy that is deposited into the weld spot is always kept constant
    Ability to detect a failed weld, and acoustic feedback to the user
    Manual mode, triggered from external switch
    Automatic mode, accompanied with a warning sound and triggered with a 0.5sec delay, once the system detects that both electrodes are in steady contact with the weld material
    Audible feedback of weld process completion
    Numeric feedback from an executed weld, assisting the user to achieve best results: deposited energy amount, required pulse time for this energy, measured current flow, measured ohmic resistance of weld spot

It is not the cheapest solution on the market, but it has shown bullet proof stability. It is more than capable of welding 0.3mm nickel strips.

These videos show the system in action:
    https://youtu.be/Ceos88VO6p4
    https://youtu.be/fWXphoDE_H8
    https://youtu.be/JR3GJYScquc
    https://youtu.be/9-CQd02EDIs

Cheers
    Frank

Man, that is a nice spot welder! Your videos are very informative.

So how do you think it would go shipping a complete system (less battery) to the USA? How much for a complete system shipped to, say, 95407 in California?
    Last edited by commuter ebikes; 07-16-2017, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post
      Man, that is a nice spot welder! Your videos are very informative.

So how do you think it would go shipping a complete system (less battery) to the USA? How much for a complete system shipped to, say, 95407 in California?
      Thanks!

Just put into the basket what you like to purchase, and go to the checkout page. The shop has an automatic rate calculator, you don't need to make a purchase to access that. It has a small glitch yet, it displays 999€ when a service is not available to a specific country. Just ignore that, that'll hopefully be fixed soon.

Comment

I am happy to announce that the next batch of kWeld is in production. I accept pre-orders through my shop: https://www.kicksurfer.de/index.php/product-category/kspot-welder-kit/ All pre-order products are on sale with a 10% discount until Nov 30!

New major features in revision 3:

• replaceable electrode system with minimum assembly effort

• extended input voltage range from 4V to 30V allowing the use of ultracapacitors without an auxiliary power supply

• improved protection against inductive kickback of both power switch and voltage regulator, tested to survive currents in excess of 2500A

• enhanced user interface featuring a rotary encoder with push button

Cheers
        Frank

Comment

I'm trying to pre-order, but I'm getting an error. Basically, I can't add to cart to complete the pre-order. Have you closed the pre-order?

Thanks,

Casey

Comment

kicksurfer.de | Innovative motion-sensing electric scooters.

Comment

Yeah I've tried ordering the assembled kit you linked to but I'm still getting an error message. See screenshot.

​​​​​​ Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20171116-190236.png
Views:	1
Size:	838.8 KB
ID:	50723

Comment

Yeah no it's nackered. Hopefully tatus updates his sales page.

Comment

He is sold out on this run, but planning another soon

Comment

I ordered ten complete sets of the kWeld spot-welder as soon as they were avaialble. I am located in Kansas (central USA), and I am accepting reservations for them on a "first come first serve" basis. There is no financial deposit required, and there is no obligation to actually purchase.

When the kits arrive in Kansas, I will go down the list and starting from the earliest, I will email you to ask if you still want a kit. If you have changed your mind, no problem. If you do want a kit and then paypal me the money, I will ship it to you with your choice of postage, either an affordable 3-day USPS, or a more expensive 1-day shipping. Once I hand the package over to the shipping company, I have no control over the actual number of days until it arrives.

I am hoping that by doing this, we can get serious DIY battery pack builders to publish info on what works. Once these ten kits are gone, I will have to wait and see what to do next. Shipping time and the fear of buying a product from a new company that is located in a faraway country can limit the the product from getting into the hands of the best possible builders, so...by hosting this purchase, I think there will be more interest from US customers. For those that are interested, please PM me here in the Luna forum and put "kWeld" in the title, with the name and shipping address you want me to use in the message, plus the email address you want me to contact you through.

Comment

• Rix Ryds
                      Rix Ryds commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Any ETA on those welders?

Originally posted by spinningmagnets View Post
                    I ordered ten complete sets of the kWeld spot-welder as soon as they were avaialble. I am located in Kansas (central USA), and I am accepting reservations for them on a "first come first serve" basis. There is no financial deposit required, and there is no obligation to actually purchase.

When the kits arrive in Kansas, I will go down the list and starting from the earliest, I will email you to ask if you still want a kit. If you have changed your mind, no problem. If you do want a kit and then paypal me the money, I will ship it to you with your choice of postage, either an affordable 3-day USPS, or a more expensive 1-day shipping. Once I hand the package over to the shipping company, I have no control over the actual number of days until it arrives.

I am hoping that by doing this, we can get serious DIY battery pack builders to publish info on what works. Once these ten kits are gone, I will have to wait and see what to do next. Shipping time and the fear of buying a product from a new company that is located in a faraway country can limit the the product from getting into the hands of the best possible builders, so...by hosting this purchase, I think there will be more interest from US customers. For those that are interested, please PM me here in the Luna forum and put "kWeld" in the title, with the name and shipping address you want me to use in the message, plus the email address you want me to contact you through.
                    How is this going. I didn't throw my hat in the ring because building batteries never appealed to me. I also have been known to start projects and abandon them. I didn't want to take a spot from some one who would get more use out of it.

It seems I will be building a battery now because I can't find one to fit where I need it to. Even though I think I have figured out how to build a pak without welding this maybe handy to have for an occasional build or repair

Comment

How much are these kits? Can't find the info anymore in the links.
                    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Originally posted by JPLabs View Post
                      How much are these kits? Can't find the info anymore in the links.
                      http://www.kicksurfer.de/index.php/p...ot-welder-kit/

Comment

Yeah, I saw that, I thought there was a full kit option. Just add all the part up, I guess...

Seems reasonably priced.
                        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Lots of options and great support. I just saw on ES that he is updating for a fellow and shipping back free. Just for cost of parts!
                          https://www.keenlab.de/index.php/pro...d-electronics/
                          "This is the brain of the kWeld battery spot welder. You purchase a professionally reflow soldered, tested and programmed electronic module."

"This article is already included in the full kWeld kit and sold here separately to allow purchasing only specific components of the kit. You decide which parts of the complete system you want to purchase and which parts you want to source yourself locally."

Comment

Working...
                          X