Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough about the battery, how about the box?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enough about the battery, how about the box?

I have been electrifying my wife's bike as a birthday present and popping some big old box on it for the batteries seemed a little crass so I looked around for options and there did not seem to be many battery boxes that make much of a statement. I was inspired by Lunacycle's engineering and attention to detail right down to the symbolic names like "Wolfpack" and "Shark Pack" but thought I could take it a little further. We are patriotic Canadians so I am going to surprise my wife by powering her bike with our hard working national animal, the beaver! The ample proportions of this majestic creature are perfect for hiding 52V worth of cylindrical 18650 lithium cells and I was able to integrate a mounting system that provides a powerful clamping force onto the bottom tube. Those precious cells will be securely held in the middle of this beaver. It has been my experience that when people see a large mysterious box on a bike they would ask: "hey what do you have in your box?" which my wife finds very rude. My solution would be greeted with a much friendlier and less probing "Hey! nice beaver!" and she can conceal the fact that her beaver also powers the bike because putting such a beautiful creature on a bike is reason enough by itself.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	420.3 KB ID:	61896

Printing it is going to take a while though. I was going to do it in TPU as this tough flexible material is waterproof, absorbs shocks and the layer to layer bonding in awesome! I have a lot of blue TPU plastic ready to be used and even though it is not a beaver's natural color, I figure it can represent the icy north where we live. Hopefully people will get that connection when the see the big blue beaver? Anyway, it appears there is useful volume in the head of the model so I might try and put some lights in the eyes and integrate a loud compressed air horn. In any case I have found 4 layers in the outer shell supported by a triangular infill provides the right amount of strength and flexibility allowing this beaver to take a mighty pounding without cracking and it also isolates the battery from shock. Here is a peek inside the beaver parts showing the engineered structures that achieve this.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	1 Size:	1.42 MB ID:	61897
    Last edited by cspanza; 04-16-2018, 10:48 AM.

I love this. How many cells can you fit? Are you going to run the discharge wires through the butt because that would be hilarious

Comment

• cspanza
      cspanza commented
      Editing a comment
      Well this is designed for the luna mighty mini 52v pack (28 cells I think) which slides up the backside of the beaver and yes the wires also come out there. It is somewhat of a design in progress though and it perfectly fits the angles and tube sizes of one particular bike. I am doing a test print of the tail and clamp now. :)
      Last edited by cspanza; 04-16-2018, 07:10 PM.

That's a dam nice pack.

Comment

as you can see the battery is a tight fit into the beavers backside and it tightly clips onto the bike frame. another 14 hours to print the head (which for some reason fusion360 did not want to hollow out so I had to manually do it... PITA)

Comment

Hilarious and looking good so far! I think you just made the first 3D printing customization build, here. Prints look great. Kudos.

I have a printer kit on order (backorder) but will hopefully soon be looking for applications. I'm envisioning a controls cluster, light housings for bike and helmet, bar ends, etc. Will be real interested to see how the wife's power beaver turns out, and anything else you do with it.

LEDs inside the beaver body could make the whole thing glow a cool blue....
        Last edited by JPLabs; 04-15-2018, 07:59 AM.
        Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Well I have tested it and the clearances are good (no chafed calves). I went into this using my cheapest filament ($15/kg) fully expecting to have to redo the design because this is my first BBSO2 installation. Well it is rock solid (when I thought it would crack) and it holds amazingly well. The only design change I would make is to close off the rear end, load the battery when the head is off and make a hidden channel through the body so I can make all the wiring connections inside the hollow head. I would reduce the 1mm gap between the two clamping shells and capture the nuts in the model to make it easier to bolt together. Getting the head hollow took way to long so but the head is printing now. Dam this kit runs quiet!

Comment

And the final assembly. It turns out that the two water bottle mount holes had bumps that caused a misalignment between the body and the head making the seam at the back much larger than it should be. When my wife lets me have the bike back I may undo the 8 bolts and carve out some pockets for those nubs so the beaver lines up again.

Comment

The tail's even helping brace it, nice. Now, wrap that sucker in fur! (JK, don't hide the nice print. Brown flocking, maybe.....)

Yesterday, I saw an honest to goodness real beaver on my ride. In BC, that may be common. I'm in SE Michigan, so pretty darned rare here. Thought of this immediately.
              Last edited by JPLabs; 04-21-2018, 06:41 AM.
              Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Working...
              X