Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

3 x 18V PowerTool Battery Packs

Hello,

I'm looking at getting a BBS02 or BBSHD and looking at using 3 x 18V power tool batteries to power it. ( 3 x 6ah Milwaukee M18 batteries)

I'm a bit confused as to how this would work.

I would wire the batteries in series, getting 54V+. (I know they are slightly above 18V ea fully charged)

Am I then able to then just wire the positive and negative straight to the BBS02? Do I need a current limiter or anything like that?

Thank you for any help.

Fully charged most likely will be too much voltage for BBSxx

Presuming not lithium iron which have lower voltages, an 18V would likely be 5s - 5 × 3.7V (nom) = 18.5V

At full charge, 5 × 4.2V (full) = 21V and 21V × 3 = 63V

Comment

I just tested my Ryobi One+ 4AH batteries at 20.33 - 20.45 V fully charged.

Comment

I'm all for finding a deal on batteries. I just saw on Home Depot's web site that the 5ah Milwaukee M18 battery was $129. Three would be ~ $360. A Luna Might Mini 52v, 6ah battery is $300. It's made for this use and doesn't require hooking up multiple batteries. Is the advantage of using the Milwaukee ones that you already have them or could use them in your tools when not riding the bike?

Comment

For me it would be because I have already bought into the product line, but also that each pack has it's own BMS and could conceivably end up more reliable (but only the legitimate name branded ones from what I have seen).

Comment

I've been looking at things about the same way, only wondering about other uses for the mini battery pack. For a work project I just got an adjustable voltage regulator that will take in 90v and let you output 5v or anything in-between. I was thinking of making it a portable 12v power supply, with a box that fits the battery, 12V outlets and maybe a few USB ports, both A and C type. it's lighter weight and smaller than a 12v gel cell of the same capacity. I probably wouldn't make one of these if I had to buy the Li-Ion battery, but since I already have the battery I might as well have a handy power pack.

Comment

I have ended up purchasing a couple 2-packs of the 6Ah batteries along with the 6-port Supercharger / 2-6Ah combo kit for a total of six of batteries. Even if run at just 36V, that's 18Ah or 648Wh, or double the range for just a little more, including the charger.

Comment

So I finally got everything put together for my DIY Ryobi kit, and I can confirm that the controller does not like the high voltage of 3 packs in series. Together, they show 58.4V on my multimeter, but it won't power on anything but the LCD, throwing the over voltage error. Seems to work okay with 2 in series, but performance is not overly impressive. I did clock over 20 mph on a flat with it however, so not too disappointed with that regardless.

Even so, I'm going to do something different. I didn't buy the hot-rod program for nuthin!

Comment

If your controller is 48v, it should handle up to 60v. Usually the capacitors in their are like 60v. I run my battery pack between 54-57 volts fully charged.

Comment

That's what I thought when I ordered everything, but it's looking like a worse idea to use these packs the more I monkey with it. With just 2 in series, it seems to sag the battery low enough to trigger a cutoff after very little run time.

I think I'm going to abandon the idea completely at this point.

Comment

For me my battery runs at 56 V..Its normal range is 58-60 v..It entirely depends on value of capacitors though MYBKEXPERIENCE
                      Last edited by lvery9980; 1 week ago.

Comment

Full charged both the batteries and add into a slot in the opposite manner. It would be worked. I have good experience to use such type of batteries.
                        1st capital title loans provide the car title loans from one of the most convenient offices. We offers the title loans, semi-truck loans and so on.

Comment

Working...
                        X