spot welders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

spot welders

Contemplating building a bigger pack. Can anyone recommend a good welder or a good DIY project welder?

Mahalo
    Renn

I got this one,SUNKKO 737G 1.5kw spot welder machine led light welding machine for 18650 battery pack off aliexpress. Cost $110. It works but probably could make one that works just as good for cheaper.

Comment

Those lower priced machines require you to lift the battery pack up to trigger each spot. Seems like a drag. I would much prefer the pen type, with a foot switch.

I am working on putting together a DIY spot welder from a 12V motorcycle battery, motorcycle starter relay, momentary button, and solid copper wire for contact ends. I'll post to this thread when it's done, and report results.

Jose

Comment

I finished putting together my 12V DIY welder, and found that I will would have to buy another battery of at least 350CCA to have enough energy for welding .2mm strips. I also found that the welding pen connections heated up really fast, even with my little 150CCA battery. Given the heat issue and cost of buying a battery, I ended up buying one of those little Sunkko 737 110V welders with a foot switch, and my results are mixed. IT doesn't have enough power to weld .2mm strip, but it works really well with .1mm strip. Pliers are needed to remove strips once tacked down, and they will tear at times. I would check welded strips periodically as I was assembling the first part of my pack, and I am confident the welds are all solid. I looked around, and find videos of folks who replace the inner wiring from transformer to welding probes/pen, and they report 100A increases in power. That might be enough to let the Sunkko units weld .2mm strip reliably. I also understand that the 220V version of the welder is more powerful and might be better for welding the thicker strips.

I am half way through welding my pack, and multi-layering the .1mm strips on my cross battery, and cross parallel group connections should be good to feed the theoretical peak 30A my controller could pull. For home users that don't weld many batteries on a regular basis, I think the Sunkko units are probably the most convenient solution.

Jose

Comment

Working...
        X