possibly using chainsaw battery PN 548208 - 40v 4ah LiPo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

possibly using chainsaw battery PN 548208 - 40v 4ah LiPo

I recently got an Oregon electric chainsaw.... really nice battery: PN 548208 - 40v 4ah LiPo and it got me thinking it could be great as a eBike pack. It looks like replacement packs can be had on eBay for $130 or so, which really isn't too bad!

I am wondering what the pin-outs on the battery are, so I could reverse engineer using it on a bike. From left to right the pins are labelled:
    -, C, TH, ID, +

I do not know the specs on the chainsaw motor/controller/throttle... so I am wondering how much smarts they put in the battery case, and whether I need to feed signals into the middle three pins, or if I could use just the - and + and let it rip with 'regular' eBike stuff?

The chainsaw throttle is basically on/off, so it would be nice to use a throttle with a little more modulation. ;) Heck it might even be a good base for a DIY motor/controller since the whole chainsaw was under $400. But it would have to be a chaindrive or tire-friction drive and not a hub motor.

Some people go to Loews or the recycle center and harvest the old power tool batteries so it can be done but it really becomes a DIY project.
    Last edited by max_volt; 1 week ago.

Comment

It's only a 160Whr battery so will give very limited range than most ebike batteries folks around here are using

It's a LiPo which have much greater propensity to explode and catch on fire

It just doesn't sound like a bargain at all to me.... For just a slightly more $ per Whr you could have a much larger, much safer battery...

YMMV

Comment

They are calling it a 40V pack, but...it is ten cells in series (10S), which is usually cataloged as a 36V pack. So, it has a 36V system, and if you buy just the 6.0-Ah pack by itself with no charger, it is $192 plus tax https://www.amazon.com/Oregon-Cordle...KZM8X0GX5N8BBY

Comment

Working...
        X