Cell phone batteries

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cell phone batteries

So first off I know a bit about electronics and batteries but I'm new to ebikes and I want to build one .Has anyone ever used cell phone batteries wired together. I see so many builds with the round laptop cells. But I have about 200 new blackberry 3.7v 1500mah up to 2200mah batteries and I have about 10 PlayBook batteries 3.7 4700mah batteries I acquired for free. Should I be looking at these as an option or no? Remember I'm new and have searched the last 2 days but all I've found online is people use a bunch of cell batteries to build 10000mah portable cell phone chargers .haha. Thank you for any feedback so I can either start planning this or put them all back in a box

Well, for one thing, all the cells in a pack should be matched, so they stay balanced while loaded, etc. You don't want different types, capacities or even ages, between the different parallel groups, or they behave differently during charging and discharging, and will tend to not be at equal voltage, which is more-or-less a requirement for series packs.

You could probably set them up in a pack and get some power if you did it right, but working with those drastically different size cells, in one pack, will most likely cause problems for you. Think about ways to make each parallel group identical if you can, that would help. IF you decide to try to mix cells in a pack, at least make each parallel group the same, and test them to make sure.

Please be aware this is a rather unsafe endeavor. I'm not recommending it, and the above is nowhere near enough info to do anything.

Please be careful if you DO experiment!
    Last edited by JPLabs; 1 week ago.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Thanks. I repair phones and have my electronic engineering technician degree but it was from 20 years ago so I did learn enough about batteries but there wasn't any of these back then . I have about 100 new 1500mah all the same kind right from RIM that I was planning on using.just wish I could find info on doing it . I have accidentally blew one battery up in an iphone trying to remove it once after accidentally puncturing it and the show I got did scare the crap out of me . I'm a lot more careful handling them now. I'm just not sure what I need to buy to build this battery pack

Comment

Working...
      X