Ruff Cycles Tango V3 Custom build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ruff Cycles Tango V3 Custom build

This is the first time I've ever posted a build for others to follow.

I'm still waiting on parts, but I'm going to start my battery incloser here soon, Not exactly sure if I'm going to go with sheet metal, aluminium, fibreglass or buy a custom made leather bad from a guy on the endless sphere who does some nice custom made ones. I will be using leather and wood throughout the bike since I have old hardwood flooring from a barn find, I want to incorporate some on the bike, like on the battery inclosure side covers to access everything. I have a few weeks before my forks are done, have to lace a front wheel. I laced the hub motor with a fat wheel 80mm wide, as for rubber I'm going to use WTB Thickslicks 26 x 2" Some people hate that look, I love that look. I would like to go with a rootbeer colour powder coating but I'm not 100% set on that colour just yet. This is my first build post but I have been reading the threads on here for a long time now. This will be my second e-bike build.

As for the parts I'm using:

NBPower QS 205 50H pre-drilled for ferrofluid by NBPower in Korea, they have been very helpful with some of the best aftersales support. I've ever experienced buying internationally. I have been buying from them for a long time now especially stull for my solar-powered Garage/Workshop,

NBPower 150a Sabvoton Controller TFT Color screen w/Bluetooth. The Controller is Modified with the help of a buddy on YouTube. Hopefully, he will join us here.

NBPower Thumb throttle, I love their thumb throttle it's very linear and silky smooth

NBPower Alarm system

NBPower 12v step down

Ruff Cycles 144mm crankset with BB and 190mm spindle

Ruff Cycles offset rear sprocket

Ruff Cycles Basman Seatpost cut down to meet the upper tube on the Tango frame

Ruff Cycles Skully Aluminum Saddle, going to cover it with leather or use it as a templet to carve it out of wood.

Ruff Cycles Skully Chainring

Ruff Cycles Z drag bars

125cc front non-inverted forks, my friend still working on it.

Hope headset

NPower front & rear 4 piston hydraulic disc brakes with Re-gen switch built-in

203 front Hope rotor 160mm rear Hope rotor w/SSC rear bracket "it's for bikes that are not tabbed to mount callipers and only has coaster brakes" Stay away fro the cheap black ones on eBay

I haven't decided if I'm going to us my lipo's or build a 18650 lithium-ion pack. 84v 20ah

I will add more in as I go on. I'm super excited to get this one done. Spreading the chainstays from 135 to 155mm should be easy, then i will get to work on the battery encloser or might buy the custom made leather one.

Thanks for stopping by, I will post my progress on here every chance i get. hope my pictures upload.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Farmer Fpv; 4 weeks ago.

Love the build bud will be a cool ride and still have good power,I'll be watching this one closely

Comment

• Farmer Fpv
      Farmer Fpv commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey bud, I hope to learn more about your build. I should have more up soon as parts come in but I'm definitely going to start on the battery box but the first thing is to spread the rear chainstays from 135 to 155mm spacing so the hub motor will fit.

Cheers bro
      Last edited by Farmer Fpv; 4 weeks ago.

Have seen come cool completed e-bikes like this. Can't wait to see your build! I'm int he motorcycle industry so I may end up doing a build like this myself!!!

Comment

• Farmer Fpv
      Farmer Fpv commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey bud, yeah they are nice bikes. If you decide to build one I don't think you'll be disappointed. Do you happen to have the links of the bikes you saw? It would help to see what others have done.

Thanks
      Last edited by Farmer Fpv; 3 weeks ago. Reason: typos

Just got done spreading the chainstays from 135 mm to 155 mm that was a piece of cake, before that I switched all the bearings in my Hub motor to Boca bearings, not the ceramic ones because I doubt it gets hot enough to consider using ceramic bearings as they are not as smooth as steel ball bearings. it's amazing how much smoother Boco bearings are compared to the OEM bearings you can tell a big difference any little

Next thing I'm going to do is install my bottom bracket American to English adapter conversion that way I can use a longer spindle and still use my Ruff Cycles 145 mm crank arms. Also, the flat bar washers work perfectly as beefy torque arms on the Ruff Cycles frames. You slide it on and then put another Nut and Bolt through the flat bar tighten it down I'll post a close up of that when I get there. I'm going to have to figure out how to mount a disc brake calliper on the rear as Ruff Cycles frames only support coaster brakes, what a bummer...

​​​​​​Here are some pics of the Hub motor installed.

Cheers.
    Last edited by Farmer Fpv; 3 weeks ago.

Comment

I'm coming along on my build, my aluminium sheet has come in to build my battery and controller encloser. I ordered in from onlinemetals.com they have great prices and custom cut the sheet for free.

Here is where I'm at so far. I went with the WTB 26x2 tires on my fat wheels I think it looks great and the rolling resistance is minimal with these slicks. Click image for larger version

Name:	20200207_042938.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	1.49 MB
ID:	101370Click image for larger version

Name:	20200209_164533.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.58 MB
ID:	101371Click image for larger version

Name:	20200207_133810.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	101372Click image for larger version

Name:	20200207_133820.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	2.09 MB
ID:	101373Click image for larger version

Name:	20200207_133845.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	101376
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the design of the battery box out of foam board. I got my slip roller ready to roll my pre-cut aluminium, will try to get it done this week. The display fits perfect right in the middle of the bars over the stem, I went with a thumb throttle. The grips are temporary as I'm going to make my own. once I get the box built I need to decide what colour to powder coat. i don't want it too flashy. I'm thinking gunmetal grey? Any suggestions? Click image for larger version

Name:	20200209_233551.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	101378Click image for larger version

Name:	20200209_233551.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	101382Click image for larger version

Name:	20200209_233640.jpg
Size:	1.62 MB
ID:	101379Click image for larger version

Name:	20200209_233703.jpg
Size:	1.65 MB
ID:	101380Click image for larger version

Name:	20200209_233543.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	1.68 MB
ID:	101381

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200210_041001.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.25 MB ID:	101389Click image for larger version  Name:	20200210_041018.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.30 MB ID:	101390Click image for larger version  Name:	20200210_041810.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.26 MB ID:	101391Click image for larger version  Name:	20200210_042021.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.27 MB ID:	101392 I'm doing a test bend with the piece of cold rolled steel. Making sure I get it perfect with my template before I move on to my aluminium.

Once I get the aluminum all welded up, I'm not sure how I'm going to brace the corners, I'm also going to have to put some angle bar to put rivnuts so I can screw on the side covers. I guess it's hard to explain until I have it all welded up.

Any tips or better ideas.?
          Last edited by Farmer Fpv; 1 week ago.

Comment

This place is not very active, I guess that's better than Facebook drama, lol.

So I'm having problems with the aluminium on the slip roll it has flat spots at the ends that I cant roll out, glad I had them cut longer than i needed as i can cut the flat spots out. I would rather try to roll them out if possible as that means less cutting and waste. I didn't get the flat spot on the steel which is weird I would think the steel would be harder at the end of the sheet. They are 4 inches wide and I believe 2.5 or 3 mm thick. Maybe it's to thick for the roller as the steel is only 20 gauge I think, I don't remember might be 16 gauge I just know it's a lot thinner than the Aluminum. I just want to be done and start to tig everything together. Sorry, my run-on sentences are about 50 words longer than they should be i talk a lot. :)

Comment

Any reason why you decided on a hub motor rather than a mid drive motor?

Comment

Working...
              X