mongoose malus BBSHD a breeze

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mongoose malus BBSHD a breeze

​Although one can never really finish something until it is lost or sold :-).

Update as of March 2021

1. Luna BBSHD Kit with 120mm bracket DPC 18 display, Thumb Throttle, 42T sprocket (include installation helpers and bafang installation tool)
    2. 48V 20AH LiFePo4 battery pack from eBay marketed as BtrPower
    3. Axiom Fatliner Bike Rack rear rack
    4. ERRLANER Bicycle Rack Rear Carrier Bag
    5. KMC EPT 116L 8S for Ebike Chain, 1/2 x 3/32 x 8
    6. Wake MTB Handlebar Riser,780mm Aluminium Alloy Mountain Bike Handlebar Bicycle Riser Bars
    7. FOMTOR Bike Stem 31.8mm 35 Degree 110mm Light Weight MTB Stem Handlebar Stem Riser for Road Bike Mountain Bike BMX MTB (31.8 x 110mm)
    8. Ergon Grips GA2 Black
    9. FSA "The Pig" 1-1/8" Threadless Headset
    10. DRIFT MANIAC E-Bike Freewheel 7 Speeds 11-28/11-34T Teeth EPOCH
    11. ROCKBROS Bike Phone Bag Bike Pouch Top Tube Bag Bicycle Front Frame Bag Waterproof Bike Accessories Bag Phone Holder
    12. Shimano lever shifter 7 speed with brake

For now I put about 20 miles on the bike. Speed tops off at 30 MPH. Shifts are crisp but need a little further adjustments. I was able to go up a steep hill from a full stop in 3rd gear. Ride is quiet but could use a little more suspension. Took it on a short beach run with no problem, felt similar to riding on the snow. One of my rides ~6 miles resulted in the motor housing being very hot to the touch. Do not know if this is something I need to worry about, following ride I was checking on it and it was only warm, wish there was a temperature sensor and on screen read out. Battery was always nice and cool.

Next upgrades on the wish list:
    relocate battery to the triangle as low as possible - problem is the battery is 6" wide and I need easy to remove bag or bracket, perhaps will custom make this one
    gun/bow holster preferably for the rear rack
    TRP SPYKE Mechanical Disc Brake set
    wheels with freehub
    aluminum or titanium frame

In other words the more I build the more I want :-). Wheels and frame are really if I find something used and cheap.

My thoughts:

So far so good. Want to build one with the cyclone kit. Want to build one with 29x2.3" wheels on a light frame. Want to find a super light dirt bike frame similar to Sur Ron and put cyclone drive on that or perhaps custom build a motor using motorcycle transmission.

Original post

Here is my current build for Mongoose Malus with BBSHD kit from Luna.

1. Luna BBSHD Kit with 120mm bracket DPC 18 display, Thumb Throttle, 42T sprocket
    2. 48V 20AH LiFePo4 battery pack from eBay marketed as BtrPower
    3. Axiom Fatliner Bike Rack rear rack
    4. ERRLANER Bicycle Rack Rear Carrier Bag
    There are other things which I am doing to the bike it self, but what is listed is what is needed to make the bike operational under power. The battery being LiFePo4 is bigger and wider than regular lithium battery, I could not find frame bag or box wide enough to hold it so must use rear rack for it or back pack. Battery is about 19 lb :-( but for $300 I will survive.

So far 25 mph on short block. No battery drain on 20 min ride at full power. From here on it is tuning time and best way to go is to get another rear wheel with cassette so that I can create a custom gear set. Perhaps 30T sprocket at the front. Well I would hope to see some recommendations
    Bike upgrades will follow with headset and handle bars as well as new freewheel gear set probably DRIFT MANIAC 7 Speed Freewheel 11-34T, but I would rather go to cassette with a new wheel.

Last edited by kostik; 03-22-2021, 08:00 AM.

Looking good! Getting ready to do pretty much this same build.

Did you need to use the Install Helpers kit?

Comment

Looks good. Did you have to use the 120 or did you just do that to make sure you had the space? Like the other person asked did you have to use or how many spacers did you need?

Did you take it through any of that snow? About 5" of fluffy snow when you know what is under it is a blast. As it gets crustier or kinda packed it takes some of the fun out of it.

Hows the chain line look? Note that if you go any smaller than the 40t Lekkie you loose about 10mm of offset which could be 3 gears worth so be sure to explore and consider that when thinking of a change.

Must have been the original chain? Looks like its just barely long enough.

Comment

• kostik
        kostik commented
        Editing a comment
        I made a few changes since this post. Waiting for better weather to update pictures and perhaps do a video. For your snow question I did go in some wet snow and it was fun. I need to move the battery down to the triangle for better balance. Chain was replaced and I still think it is on a short side. I also got the drift maniac freewheel.

Originally posted by akaSasha View Post
      Looking good! Getting ready to do pretty much this same build.

Did you need to use the Install Helpers kit?
      yes install helpers were needed for spacers. try to get everything in one shot including the install tool.

Comment

Originally posted by kostik View Post

yes install helpers were needed for spacers. try to get everything in one shot including the install tool.
        Thanks. I am still awaiting for the kit to arrive and ordered the Install Helpers a few days later. Didn't know about the tool requirement. Do you think it is doable with standard bike repair tools?

Side note: I think Luna could clarify this a bit better on their website. They have multiple options to pick from but completely unclear that the kit is 'incomplete'. They really need to clarify that AND offer these items as add-ons when purchasing. like they do with all the other items.

Comment

• kostik
          kostik commented
          Editing a comment
          yeh you will need one. if you in NY I have 2 for the same reason. ended up getting one on amazon because original order (not from Luna) turned out to be 20 day shipping deal which i did not realize.

• 73Eldo
          73Eldo commented
          Editing a comment
          If Luna has everything in stock their site does good about offering you all the options but when things are not in stock which is often lately its not on the list so easily overlooked if you are not doing a lot of research or asking on a forum like this.
      Working...
      X