Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stts
    commented on 's reply
    I love the idea that this is all aluminum, but it's 29 inches. No wonder it looks like giants ride this. I think I would be on tippy toes to touch the ground. I just woke up so I have not seen it in daylight yet, but I didn't see anything wrong except flat tires. Obviously not very used. The fenders are bent for 29" wheels. So it's not practical to mash them down for 26" wheels. I'll try out the free seat to see how it suits me. Amazon reviews note chaffing discomforts with these big seats, so it's outstanding that I can check it out myself without buying one. But I have a feeling that I may end up fixing the flats and just selling it to somebody that can use it. That all aluminum should make it easier to sell. And I got tons of stuff to sell as I down size for my great escape.

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    Maybe look for a touring bike fork. Something with some actual structural purpose.

• ncmired
    commented on 's reply
    48-spoke wheels too? I wonder why they did that. If you ever decide to go with this bike, I'd go with a replacement disc fork Retro has mentioned if the current one is 1 1/8 threadless - or maybe even try the adapters: https://www.amazon.com/DQITJ-Bracket...&ts_id=3494221
    Last edited by ncmired; 3 weeks ago.

• stts
    replied
    Hmmmm, When you don't really need a bike, people all around are throwing them away. I already bought and installed fenders on my other bike. Now I got them for free. This whole bike is aluminum. It seems bigger than my white one. I don't like that idea since Im only 5'10. It's got a rotary shifter all shimino, and it's only 6 speeds. Its got the larger 2 inch tires and it's built for them. It's only got those u brakes though, so I would have to weld aluminum studs on this for V-brakes. I'll take that wide seat and immediately put it on my white bike. It will give me an idea how comfy the wide seats are. Its got battery powered led lights that are leaky. Flashlights with bike clips on them. So Ill just keep them as home use lights. My other bike does not stick out beyond my car. So this is certainly bigger. I have a spare set of 26 inch rims. Maybe they will make this bike abit smaller. But for now I'll stick it in the shed. I got too much to get done already.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20230109_053231[1].jpg
Views:	41
Size:	2.11 MB
ID:	158837

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    It rains a lot in Florida

• stts
    commented on 's reply
    You know, I was already setup for twin brakes in the rear. Hah. But I already ground one down to be mounting studs. I think the brakes will do ok. The heat will go into the rim and there is so much metal that they will at most get warm. But I'm committed to this Huffy as my first eBike. When I started all this I had the idea of a stealth electric bike. Like the motor in the tube variety that Tour De France racers got caught with. One a cop couldn't tell just driving by. There have been no eBikes in our city because cops have been iron fisted about them. But that idea had to back track abit for practical reasons. So it's a regular bike with a motor painted the bike color. Not so stealth but maybe not so obvious either. At least without the trailer. That and taking routes less cop traveled will hopefully get me by. Because another year has past and there is still no eBikes visible on our city streets. Just those rental scooters. And they don't travel out to the suburbs. They are only used by the city dwellers. Most of the gear will be inside the vault, and the battery will be hidden by a saddle bag setup than can carry locks and repair accessories. That's the evolved first eBike plan. It wont look like a motor bike or any kind of moped as cops pass by. So hopefully I will avoid trouble till eBikes finally catch on in this city. Then I can always upgrade to a "thicker" bike and even move the bulk of the stuff I make to my new bike. It's possible I may even be gone from this city before then. My time here is certainly running out. Then I can build an eBike better suited to where I end up.

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    McMaster Carr can provide shafting material if you can use cut threads. I bought the 10mm stuff from Loose Screws, but needed the full 10mm shank for the sealed bearing so went McMC for that. I needed an extended threaded axle to hang a Rapid Rise Saint derailer off the end of a mag wheel with freewheel layout. That's on hold while I sort out the zip tie mod.
    I think your brakes may be trailing smoke coming back down that 8 mile hill.At the end of the day a 20 year old 3x8 26" MTB with Avid BB7 cable brakes is hard to beat for a donor bike. My bike originally didn't have discs. They were the latest thing back them. By the time I added them I had spenat 1/2 the cost of the new bike, and thrown 1/2 the bike away. 20 years on and +1500W later it' was money well spent. Now a bik like my Gary Fisher can be found for cheap.
    Starting with Avid BB7s i still had to add 200mm rotors and metallic pads to reel it in.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 4 weeks ago.

• stts
    commented on 's reply
    Hah. Hub motors that small with our 8 mile long hill would be trailing smoke. And besides, I already have the mid drive kit. But need lots more parts to do the install. I couldn't find anything workable at loose screws, since they were all metric. But I did find BMX sealed bearing axles of Moly that look Iike I can make work. Lotta moly stuff for freehub, but freehub doesn't need it near as much. All that will be dealt with after florida. The straitened axle will be good enough for now. I already lubed it up and reassembled. I had to cut the chain off since there was no master link so now I'm hunting for one of those. I got a link at Menards because they really wanted to sell it to me. But sure enough, its no good for bikes with cassettes.

• Retrorockit
    replied
    At that level I would just put a 350W hubmotor kit. Set it a 20mph, and fix whatever happens next. You could probably ride pretty far with a 12Ah 48V. battery. But here in FL they steal anything they can. Walmart bikes get stolen all the time. Most bikes in Miami have probably been stolen twice.

Leave a comment:

• stts
    commented on 's reply
    Cool. Loose screws. I get called that alot these days. From outside of Trumpworld, hah. Yea Ill have to hunt thru their wares for a suitable replacement. I could make one up but we don't have a thread die for that and even if, threading 4130 is a pain as the cutting action hardens the metal and risks the die getting stuck mid cut. Kinda why they roll hardened threads. So a rolled thread look is one sign you may have a hardened shaft. But they can also roll pot metal, hah. Anyways, yea I'm sticking with Huffy American made. It's got a flag on the front of it. Pre bankruptcy. It's good for a first eBike that doesn't have to go very fast. I assume the crank tube diameter is good enough. It would be a surprise if it's too small. Then I would be stuck with boring it out bigger or welding a bigger diameter tube to it. Hopefully it don't come to that. You know, it was Walmart that put Huffy out of business. Ohio had the biggest factory. But Walmart kept pressure up to get the Chinese bikes even cheaper. And Huffy couldn't compete. So Huffy is now Chinese. The headquarters is still down the road aways from me. When I get this ellictrified, I may take a trip over to the headquarters and make a few selfies. Hopefully the building isn't full of Chinese people. Maybe it's actually one of those secret Chinese police stations like they found in New York, Hah. I will get to the bottom of it. But it's kinda par for the course in my city. It's a sanctuary city in all but name. Anybody welcome that will clean out the septic tanks so the welfare masses can continue collecting the welfare checks from their musty bed bug couches. Yup, we are bed bug central. I even have a pic of an Ohio bedbug plate. Hah.

Oh yea. And can't forget that thieves will not be impressed with a bike with no disc brake hubs. Makes even the wheels not worth swiping. Hah.
    Last edited by stts; 4 weeks ago.

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    You can try these guys.

But the freewheel layout has the RH bearing too far in from the frame.A Freehub MTB wheel would be better. A whole disc brake wheelset makes even more sense.
    I'm having to fix the bent axle issue,but at least I'm getting some mag wheels out of it.
    Also the one piece crank will go away with the mid drive. But will the mid drive fit in the gaping hole there?
    Hubmotor guys live with the freewheel layout. But the bearings in the freewheel can be sloppy and affect shifting with over 7 speeds and mid drive power.
    The solution to all of these problems at once is to start with an old 3x8 disc brake MTB. Threadless headset, 3 piece crank, disc brakes, tough wheels. Not a Walmart look alike. A Trek, Giant, Gary Fisher, KHS, Diamomgback,GT or other actual trail bike.
    TBH I don't think that bike is up to much more than the smallest rear hub motor kit.

• stts
    commented on 's reply
    Yup, those Jagwires is what I will end up getting. They should do those V brakes proud. I also ran into another little surprise. Seems the rear axle was bent pretty bad. Both on my bike and the junk bike somebody threw away. These axles are bending under load. Its not like the wheel wobbles all the sudden, it just throws the spacing off so the tire will rub on things. That's what happens with these freewheel designs. The bearing is on the other side of the cassette so over an inch of shaft is unsupported by the dropout. I unbent it easily. Unfortunately. So it's likely to bend again. So I will add a new hardened axle to my growing parts list. It looks like they make Chromoly rear axles with rolled threads. I have crap metal with die cut threads. On Huffy and Murray bikes. Ill have to look hard to make sure it's a quality shaft, since there are a million of them and half could be fake junk. The freehubs with the removable cassette sprockets don't have this bending issue since the bearing is right up against the dropout.

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    I think Jagwire makes colored cable housings.Including some alloy bead type kits.

Brooks and probably others made some coil, and hairpin sprung saddles.

• stts
    commented on 's reply
    Yea this bike has an extra small tube diameter and I didn't find any seat shocks that would fit it. Ill give it a harder look at a later date. For now just wrapping up this latest upgrade for my Feb trip. Still got to get my car cleaned up too. And every other detail that needs worked out for the trip. It's Huffy original, but I don't get the pink colored cables on this thing. I did have white ones on order from Aliexpress but they were in the part that was canceled. Good thing because now I will get the stiffer brand of cables. These cables are sooo spongy.

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    The Tannus actually have some give to them, and provide some damping also. With a motor to drive the extra weight they will be nice. They can smooth out the surface noise, but a linkage type suspension seat post will help with the bigger stuff.
Working...
X