X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZguy
    commented on 's reply
    That brake sure is sexy

Regarding the left side - have you considered a half twist throttle? For me it's the best solution

I've got a shimano M8000 (deore xt) shifter that I put upside-down on the left side and it works great - actually prefer the triggers up on top instead of below the bar... understand it won't work for all shifters and the display won't be easily seen (I don't have one in the first place so not an issue) but sure do like it on the left... I also put the front brake on the right - I do this on all my bikes tho

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    SRAM made some Rocket, and Attack Shimano compatible gripshifters that could probably go LH..I prefer therm anyway. maybe because I can teach them new tricks.

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    Normal Ebiking with a BBSxx is faster than bike racing. Fortunately we have bigger tires. The problem with small hydraulic brake is they feel wonderful.
    You can ride around for a long time and not realize you have a problem until it's too late.

• Maxxim
    commented on 's reply
    Yea, will thest them. My cycling will propably not be very hard, no racing or anything... I would like to think these hyraulic brakes would be ok, but the usage will tell.

• Maxxim
    commented on 's reply
    Brakes are left/front and right/rear, which also was orginally on this bike. Would have liked the gear shifter on the left hand, but couldn't find a lefty 8-gear shifter.

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    With a RH thumb throttle, and RH thumb shifter power shifting won't be an issue.Which way are the brake levers? US and EU disagree on this for bicycles. Motos I think are the same.
    I'm running a bunch of stuff nobody else uses. I'm also getting results no one else is getting.
    I just thought this deserves a thread. The old 26" MTBs with 3x drives are good bikes for conversion. 29ers came out in that era also. There are a lot of new parts becoming available for this. Wide range cassettes, and matching derailers with clutches and capacity up to 50t. Shimano and SRAM have moved on to 1x 11-12 speed

and then there is this
    I've got enough seat time on this mod. I think I can bring it forward on it's own. It came out of another discussion here which rambled around some. https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...ed-a-freewheel (https://electricbike.com/forum/forum/main-forum/diy-discussion/155141-does-a-mid-drive-really-need-a-freewheel) The mod

• Retrorockit
    replied
    When you get the front brake on be sure and do some testing in a safe place. Test stopping from high speed for the organic linings getting slippery. Then do repeated stops from high speed to see if the fluid boils. Then stop for a bit and see if the fluid has boiled with no braking pressure, and heat soak. If you have number 1, and install metallic pads it can cause number 2 on hydro brakes.
    A stop from 30mph produces 2.25x as much heat as a stop from 20mph. Add in the extra weight and maybe 2.5x. There's no weight on the rear wheel when stopping from high speeds, but if you use the rear brake to control your speed going downhil it becomes important too. Brake piston material, fluids, and even hoses are all over the place on bike brakes. No standard like cars have. You can't assume everything will be good for this purpose.
    if you go to TRPs website and see what they did to upgrade their 4 piston DH racing brakes to street legal 50kph Pedelec brakes you will see what I mean. The DH racers who tested them refused to give them back. Linings, hoses, fluid, and rotors all got upgraded from their high end racing parts.
    if you have to add presssure to the levers as the bike slows you have a problem. It should be the opposite. Less speed , less pressure.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 02-08-2023, 12:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Maxxim
    replied
    Finally the brakes arrived. Bought also a 203mm brake rotor for the front and a adapter for the caliper. Well it didn't go as planned, it was a 180 to 203mm adapter and my front fork is for 160mm rotors, so I will need a 160 to 203mm adapter. Well have to buy the right one...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230208_204912.jpg Views:	0 Size:	975.1 KB ID:	159937

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230208_200950.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.04 MB ID:	159938

The rear got a 180mm rotor, the adapter was right but the other hole in the frame bracket was threaded for some reason, so will need to drill it open.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230208_211501.jpg Views:	0 Size:	706.7 KB ID:	159939

Also the right side hande was difficult to get right, would had liked to get the brake handle more closer to the center, but the throttle and shifter was hard to get working right. This was the only order for everything functioning, the shifter just works, the upshifting hits the brake handle braket but it shifts.

And a left side throttle isn't a option, right hand throttle is the only right :)

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20230208_201652.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.03 MB ID:	159940
    Last edited by Maxxim; 02-08-2023, 11:32 AM. Reason: Typos

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    I had to edit my question form six to five because my retro eyeballs were playing tricks on me. LOL

• Maxxim
    commented on 's reply
    Good eyes there. Those are Audi I5's. The only and the right engine ever made haha :D And yes, twin cam 20 valve heads.

• Maxxim
    commented on 's reply
    You are right, car things are very expencive. Havn't done lot in few years... Main interest lately has been mostly in boats and fishing. Lithium battery build things are familiar from this boating experience. Electric bike on the other hand is a totally new thing for me and I really appreciate all the hints and advices you guys give here. :)

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    What sort of inline fives are those? The heads look twin cam and maybe 4 valve? Volvo and Audi both did 5s I think.
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 02-03-2023, 12:00 PM.

• Maxxim
    replied
    Some pics of the garage machines and my passion... Well the Colchester lathe is older than me, but gets the job done. :D
    Click image for larger version

Name:	colchester_lathe_and_varnamo_mill.jpg
Views:	436
Size:	141.2 KB
ID:	159806

Name:	mill_audi_block_idea.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	159807

Name:	bench_press_drill_400v.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	581.4 KB
ID:	159808

Name:	parts_choise.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	137.4 KB
ID:	159809 Click image for larger version

Name:	rod_radar_bracket_welding_01.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	159810

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    commented on 's reply
    Even if got the machinery for free I couldn't afford a place to put it in my area.I stopped working on my own cars and switched to bicycles due to that.
    I spent some money having an offset single speed chain ring made for a TSDZ2 IGH project to get the chain line just right.Then realized a multi speed chain could run out of line and solve the "problem" that way. It looks like it's easier for you to fabricate a custom chain ring than to short stack a cassette.

• Maxxim
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks. Yea, it's not cheap to pay for some machinery these days. Have done a lot with car engines. We have very good machines at work, but I also have some old machining equipment in the garage. Could make almost anything out of metal, the most difficult and expencive thing is to get the material(stainless and aluminium). Will post a couple of pics of the machines... :)
Working...
X