No announcement yet.

rear hub, internal gear options.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read somewhere that the Rohloff was designed to handle two professional racers on a tandem, that would be over 4KW peak.
    Alan B

Comment

That makes sense, I appreciate that kind of trivia. I wish Rohloff would make a robust 5-speed, or 8-speed. Just had an idea...3-speeds are inherently more robust, they could make a 3 X 2 = 6-speed? (We can dream?)

Comment

making things kid friendly
        Last edited by g725s; 09-13-2016, 05:57 PM.

Comment

Can the Alfine 8 be shifted under power? Or should a gear sensor be used to reduce pressure during shifting?

Comment

You will need a gearsensor to shift under power with the Alfine 8.

Comment

Thanks Marjamar.... How would a Di2 electronic shift version of the Alfine work? There is no moving cable to trigger the shift sensor?

Comment

8 th gear eh?? I'll remember that... and try and hang out there more. 11 th seems to be my sweet spot for paved rode travel, 18 mph, easy pedaling, and about 3.5 AH draw.

Comment

Originally posted by Arboh View Post
                  Thanks Marjamar.... How would a Di2 electronic shift version of the Alfine work? There is no moving cable to trigger the shift sensor?
                  I really have limited knowledge on a bunch of this electric bike stuff yet, but I was looking for something else besides using the gearsensor I ordered with the kit. I was a bit hesitant to start cutting cables without knowing for sure the gearsensor was what I really wanted. Didn't find anything I liked, and was getting tired of letting up on the pedals to shift, so I just did the gearsensor. Very glad I did, it really works well.

Comment

I have an Alfine 8 IGH on a Surly fatbike with a Lexi Blingring and BBSHD and have a perfect chainline. Bike can briskly climb grades that I wouldn't want to walk up. These have a very robust gear 5 but I have had no problems in any gear because I don't shift under load. This IGH didn't like being shifted under load without a motor.
                    Last edited by Peter Halt; 09-13-2016, 08:25 PM.

Comment

Do you have a shift sensor, or just easy on the pedals when you shift?

Comment

I don't have a shift sensor. On all my builds, I have a brake sensor on my rear disk that I keep a bit loose so I can use brake lever as sort of a clutch. I do slow my pedaling down when I shift. You can feel and hear when motor is not on. Alfine is made to shift best when not under load with or without motor. It is a great solution, especially if you have horizontal dropouts.

Comment

Actuallly the 3 speeds are stronger than the 8 speeds with the igh...even stronger than the nuvinci.

I would recommend the nexus 3 speed.

Comment

I really like my Sturmey-Archer 3 spd. On the SA site they say their 5 spd is made for heavy duty use. They don't say that about any other hub So is the 5 spd stronger than the 3 spd? If I build another bike I am going to try that 5 spd. They are very affordable.
                            Last edited by calfee20; 09-17-2016, 05:33 PM.

Comment

• g725s
                              g725s commented
                              Editing a comment
                              I had read a thread over at endless-sphere.com and a poster made a good observation.

These internal gear hubs have more friction inside and don't roll as effortlessly as a hub without gears inside.

But there was a thread over there that give the 5 speed praise.

Amazon has Nuvinci 360's for $197... I came right up out of the water on that one. Just like a hungry bass. I'm planning to use a shift sensor as I like it and have grown accustomed to it on my derailleur setup.

Comment

The middle gear on the Sturmey 3-speed and 5-speed are as strong as anything made in any IGH, due to the way it's constructed. The middle gear locks the input sprocket carrier to the shell, and doesn't actually pass any power through any gears. It's 1:1...

Since the shells are similar in size, then we are limited in the size of the gears inside. In a 3-speed, first and third gear are pretty strong, but nowhere as strong as 2nd gear.

In their 5-speed, second and third are about the same strengrh, but first and fifth are a little weaker, because the smaller of the two gears that mesh to change the output ratio have to be thinner.

In a 5-speed, the gears are also shorter, when looking at them from above, in their left to right width. There is simply less meat in each gear.

The 5-speed is strong (the steel is likely a higher grade than the common 8-speed). My dream IGH is a 5-speed built by Rohloff, with the shell a little larger in diameter to allow more meat on each gear.

Comment

Working...
                              X