X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by DukeOfWellington View Post
    The same thing happened with my bbs02 the derailleur bracket got ripped off when the derailleur got caught in the spokes. I have an Alfine 8 IGH on order and I'm hoping it will solve all my gear shifting woes and I finally get a smooth ride.
    I have a S-A hybrid drive and an Alfine 8. They are both very nice but I will give the edge to the Alfine.

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    There are SA 3 speeds with derailler hubs. The 3 speed IGH replaces the front triple chainring basically.
    http://www.sturmey-archer.com/en/pro.../cs-rk3-silver
    Surly makes some tough derailer splined cogs. Supposedly they can be shifted, but I imagine it would be more like choosing a speed range, than a transmission type of shifting.
    https://www.modernbike.com/surly-sin...gaAnUfEALw_wcB
    You could probably make a 9, 12, or15 speed setup out of these.
    The Sheldon Brown Gear Calculator has IGH hubs in it so you can see what cogs will suite your purpose.
    https://www.sheldonbrown.com/gear-calc.html
    Last edited by Retrorockit; 08-24-2019, 05:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• DukeOfWellington
    replied
    The same thing happened with my bbs02 the derailleur bracket got ripped off when the derailleur got caught in the spokes. I have an Alfine 8 IGH on order and I'm hoping it will solve all my gear shifting woes and I finally get a smooth ride.

Leave a comment:

• Reddy_Kilowatt
    replied
    Calfree20, "THIS HUB'S FOR YOU".
    i found that old 3 Speed you were looking for, so let's take it apart.

https://youtu.be/e2YDcLF_CNI

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    Well it is not in the barn. He was making garden carts with bike wheels for my sister and a few bikes got scrapped. I found a dozen wheels laying around but no 3 speed. LOL maybe I should start visiting the dump............calfee

• calfee20
    replied
    I liked the video you posted. From the video you posted there is only one set of gears and a lot of wasted space on the left side of the hub. There should be plenty of room for additional gears in this wasted space. I really don't know I need to take one apart. Now that you have me thinking my father had a 3 speed and I don't know where it is. I will have to look around the barn.

Leave a comment:

• Reddy_Kilowatt
    replied
    Originally posted by spinningmagnets View Post
    The middle gear on the Sturmey 3-speed and 5-speed are as strong as anything made in any IGH, due to the way it's constructed. The middle gear locks the input sprocket carrier to the shell, and doesn't actually pass any power through any gears. It's 1:1...

Since the shells are similar in size, then we are limited in the size of the gears inside. In a 3-speed, first and third gear are pretty strong, but nowhere as strong as 2nd gear.
    What You Said:
    https://youtu.be/K3QJTTcDXJo
    I thought Fat Tire Bikes were a kinda new thing. <]:~)
    Last edited by Reddy_Kilowatt; 09-20-2016, 12:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• CPG
    replied
    Yesterday I found myself passing a car that was going too slow to my liking, on a slight downgrade, 39 mph! And I could still feel resistance/keep up when pedaling! The day before that I rode the "Boundry Trail", a super steep and rocky dirt bike trail nearby, which involves mostly trials bike type riding: 3 or 4 mph, standing on the pedals, and picking your way through and over rocks the size of watermelons in places, mostly cantaloped sized! This requires a very low gear of course. I am really enjoying, and using, the extreme spread I have with the Rohloff, just what I had hoped, fast AND slow. Coming up on 500 miles of hard riding on it, mostly trail riding, so far so good.

Leave a comment:

• spinningmagnets
    replied
    The middle gear on the Sturmey 3-speed and 5-speed are as strong as anything made in any IGH, due to the way it's constructed. The middle gear locks the input sprocket carrier to the shell, and doesn't actually pass any power through any gears. It's 1:1...

Since the shells are similar in size, then we are limited in the size of the gears inside. In a 3-speed, first and third gear are pretty strong, but nowhere as strong as 2nd gear.

In their 5-speed, second and third are about the same strengrh, but first and fifth are a little weaker, because the smaller of the two gears that mesh to change the output ratio have to be thinner.

In a 5-speed, the gears are also shorter, when looking at them from above, in their left to right width. There is simply less meat in each gear.

The 5-speed is strong (the steel is likely a higher grade than the common 8-speed). My dream IGH is a 5-speed built by Rohloff, with the shell a little larger in diameter to allow more meat on each gear.

Leave a comment:

• g725s
    commented on 's reply
    I had read a thread over at endless-sphere.com and a poster made a good observation.

These internal gear hubs have more friction inside and don't roll as effortlessly as a hub without gears inside.

But there was a thread over there that give the 5 speed praise.

• Arboh
    replied
    Amazon has Nuvinci 360's for $197... I came right up out of the water on that one. Just like a hungry bass. I'm planning to use a shift sensor as I like it and have grown accustomed to it on my derailleur setup.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    I really like my Sturmey-Archer 3 spd. On the SA site they say their 5 spd is made for heavy duty use. They don't say that about any other hub So is the 5 spd stronger than the 3 spd? If I build another bike I am going to try that 5 spd. They are very affordable.
    Last edited by calfee20; 09-17-2016, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    replied
    Actuallly the 3 speeds are stronger than the 8 speeds with the igh...even stronger than the nuvinci.

I would recommend the nexus 3 speed.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Halt
    replied
    I don't have a shift sensor. On all my builds, I have a brake sensor on my rear disk that I keep a bit loose so I can use brake lever as sort of a clutch. I do slow my pedaling down when I shift. You can feel and hear when motor is not on. Alfine is made to shift best when not under load with or without motor. It is a great solution, especially if you have horizontal dropouts.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Do you have a shift sensor, or just easy on the pedals when you shift?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X