Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peter Halt
    replied
    I have an Alfine 8 IGH on a Surly fatbike with a Lexi Blingring and BBSHD and have a perfect chainline. Bike can briskly climb grades that I wouldn't want to walk up. These have a very robust gear 5 but I have had no problems in any gear because I don't shift under load. This IGH didn't like being shifted under load without a motor.
    Last edited by Peter Halt; 09-13-2016, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• marjamar
    replied
    Originally posted by Arboh View Post
    Thanks Marjamar.... How would a Di2 electronic shift version of the Alfine work? There is no moving cable to trigger the shift sensor?
    I really have limited knowledge on a bunch of this electric bike stuff yet, but I was looking for something else besides using the gearsensor I ordered with the kit. I was a bit hesitant to start cutting cables without knowing for sure the gearsensor was what I really wanted. Didn't find anything I liked, and was getting tired of letting up on the pedals to shift, so I just did the gearsensor. Very glad I did, it really works well.

Leave a comment:

• CPG
    replied
    8 th gear eh?? I'll remember that... and try and hang out there more. 11 th seems to be my sweet spot for paved rode travel, 18 mph, easy pedaling, and about 3.5 AH draw.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Thanks Marjamar.... How would a Di2 electronic shift version of the Alfine work? There is no moving cable to trigger the shift sensor?

Leave a comment:

• marjamar
    replied
    You will need a gearsensor to shift under power with the Alfine 8.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Can the Alfine 8 be shifted under power? Or should a gear sensor be used to reduce pressure during shifting?

Leave a comment:

• g725s
    replied
    making things kid friendly
    Last edited by g725s; 09-13-2016, 05:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• spinningmagnets
    replied
    That makes sense, I appreciate that kind of trivia. I wish Rohloff would make a robust 5-speed, or 8-speed. Just had an idea...3-speeds are inherently more robust, they could make a 3 X 2 = 6-speed? (We can dream?)

Leave a comment:

• g725s
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by spinningmagnets View Post
    Just for the record, inside the Rohloff is a close-ratio 2-speed, alongside a wide-ratio 2-speed, and 8th gear has the most efficiency, with least friction. All German case-hardened steel, much stronger than human legs could possibly stress it. Intended to be a lifetime purchase, then passed on to the kids...
    It might even make you feel like a kid too ;-)  I want one...

• Alan B
    replied
    I read somewhere that the Rohloff was designed to handle two professional racers on a tandem, that would be over 4KW peak.

Leave a comment:

• spinningmagnets
    replied
    Just for the record, inside the Rohloff is a close-ratio 7-speed, alongside a wide-ratio 2-speed, and 8th gear has the most efficiency, with least friction. All German case-hardened steel, much stronger than human legs could possibly stress it. Intended to be a lifetime purchase, then passed on to the kids...
    Last edited by spinningmagnets; 09-13-2016, 04:22 PM. Reason: speling

Leave a comment:

• marjamar
    commented on 's reply
    Just can't spend that kinda money on a IGH. Other than price, heard nothing but good things about the Rohloff.

-Rodger

• CPG
    replied
    I realize most don't consider the Rohloff because of it's cost, but when I hear that "you only need 3 speeds," I have to chime in.

True, the torquey BBSHD can make it work just fine, but the main reason I got a Rohloff was NOT for the 14 gears, but for the extremely wide range from low to high. Just a few hours ago in fact I had reason to re-appreciate this yet again. I had spent the night in a small town, 5 miles down a dead straight and level road from the airport, where my plane was. Pulling my Travoy trailer with 6 gallons of gas loaded on it for the plane, plus some other stuff, and still pretty dusky, so I really wanted to minimize my time on the no bike path or shoulder road. No lights or even rear reflector! I just stopped and got clear off the road when the 3 cars came by me, but the rest of the time it was great to be able to easily cruise in the mid 20's. I could have gone faster, over 30, but I was thinking of my amp draw of course.

2 hrs later, and 80 miles away, I got the bike out again and on the spur of the moment decided to see where a trail ended that started by where I had just landed, in a big remote valley with 12 K mountains surrounding it. I followed the trail for 4.5 miles, gaining a bunch of altitude also. The last 1/4 mile was so steep I was having a real hard time keeping the front tire down and not breaking the rear tire loose. So steep, I walked it back down on my return, finding it hard to believe i was able to ride up it! Point being, I had the very low gearing needed for as extreme as trail riding as it gets, but still have the 35+mph top speed. I am super happy with the Rohloff, it is all they say it is.

Leave a comment:

• limhrod
    replied
    makes sense to use that many gears if you are loading so many pounds-but then again, i would think it would call for the strongest solution (the 3 speed?). glad to hear that its robust enough for the kind of cycle camping you are doing

Leave a comment:

• marjamar
    replied
    When I ordered my Motobecane Cafe Express 8 online, it came with a Shimano Nexus 8 IGH. I road this bike for a couple of years and never had any issue except it pedaled a bit harder then my other derailleur bike did. Reason for buying this bike at all was to get out of a derailleur bike as I love breaking derailleurs for some reason -- Maybe because I am big and pedal hard, HA! Anyways not had any issues to speak of and it is very nice to shift IGH, running or stopped.

Electrified this bike a few weeks back with the BBSHD kit from Luna Cycle and it only got better. Took a week or more before I decided to install the gear sensor that I had ordered with the kit, but when I did finally install it, again, it only got better. Now I have what I have been telling others, "an automatic" shifter as it feels like what an automatic transmission feels like when shifting gears. Work quite nice, but still have a bit of "hard shift" on occasion and a bit of a problem at times downshifting. In every case it's because of the road conditions (uphill mostly) and my need to keep pumping harder then optimal during a shift. Most of the time, it "just works" and there have not been any real side effects I have seen with the "clunks" I sometimes get when pedaling hard during a shift up a hill.

Was interested in the Nu Vinci, but I really don't think it would suit me to have to let off the throttle while shifting as this is the very reason I finally decided to install the gear sensor.

As to a 3 speed, that would work even less well, as I am setting this bike up to pull a 100 lb loaded BOB trailer and will have 450 lbs. on the bike itself, so I need all of my gears. Also, even empty, the higher the gear jump the more battery it takes to get up to speed in that gear. So, you would have to see a greater drain on a 3 speed hub, verses an 8 speed, everything else being equal.

-Rodger

Leave a comment:

Working...
X