Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• g725s
    commented on 's reply
    I had read a thread over at endless-sphere.com and a poster made a good observation.

These internal gear hubs have more friction inside and don't roll as effortlessly as a hub without gears inside.

But there was a thread over there that give the 5 speed praise.

• Arboh
    replied
    Amazon has Nuvinci 360's for $197... I came right up out of the water on that one. Just like a hungry bass. I'm planning to use a shift sensor as I like it and have grown accustomed to it on my derailleur setup.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    I really like my Sturmey-Archer 3 spd. On the SA site they say their 5 spd is made for heavy duty use. They don't say that about any other hub So is the 5 spd stronger than the 3 spd? If I build another bike I am going to try that 5 spd. They are very affordable.
    Last edited by calfee20; 09-17-2016, 04:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Eric Luna
    replied
    Actuallly the 3 speeds are stronger than the 8 speeds with the igh...even stronger than the nuvinci.

I would recommend the nexus 3 speed.

Leave a comment:

• Peter Halt
    replied
    I don't have a shift sensor. On all my builds, I have a brake sensor on my rear disk that I keep a bit loose so I can use brake lever as sort of a clutch. I do slow my pedaling down when I shift. You can feel and hear when motor is not on. Alfine is made to shift best when not under load with or without motor. It is a great solution, especially if you have horizontal dropouts.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Do you have a shift sensor, or just easy on the pedals when you shift?

Leave a comment:

• Peter Halt
    replied
    I have an Alfine 8 IGH on a Surly fatbike with a Lexi Blingring and BBSHD and have a perfect chainline. Bike can briskly climb grades that I wouldn't want to walk up. These have a very robust gear 5 but I have had no problems in any gear because I don't shift under load. This IGH didn't like being shifted under load without a motor.
    Last edited by Peter Halt; 09-13-2016, 07:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• marjamar
    replied
    Originally posted by Arboh View Post
    Thanks Marjamar.... How would a Di2 electronic shift version of the Alfine work? There is no moving cable to trigger the shift sensor?
    I really have limited knowledge on a bunch of this electric bike stuff yet, but I was looking for something else besides using the gearsensor I ordered with the kit. I was a bit hesitant to start cutting cables without knowing for sure the gearsensor was what I really wanted. Didn't find anything I liked, and was getting tired of letting up on the pedals to shift, so I just did the gearsensor. Very glad I did, it really works well.

Leave a comment:

• CPG
    replied
    8 th gear eh?? I'll remember that... and try and hang out there more. 11 th seems to be my sweet spot for paved rode travel, 18 mph, easy pedaling, and about 3.5 AH draw.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Thanks Marjamar.... How would a Di2 electronic shift version of the Alfine work? There is no moving cable to trigger the shift sensor?

Leave a comment:

• marjamar
    replied
    You will need a gearsensor to shift under power with the Alfine 8.

Leave a comment:

• Arboh
    replied
    Can the Alfine 8 be shifted under power? Or should a gear sensor be used to reduce pressure during shifting?

Leave a comment:

• g725s
    replied
    making things kid friendly
    Last edited by g725s; 09-13-2016, 04:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• spinningmagnets
    replied
    That makes sense, I appreciate that kind of trivia. I wish Rohloff would make a robust 5-speed, or 8-speed. Just had an idea...3-speeds are inherently more robust, they could make a 3 X 2 = 6-speed? (We can dream?)

Leave a comment:

• g725s
    commented on 's reply
    Originally posted by spinningmagnets View Post
    Just for the record, inside the Rohloff is a close-ratio 2-speed, alongside a wide-ratio 2-speed, and 8th gear has the most efficiency, with least friction. All German case-hardened steel, much stronger than human legs could possibly stress it. Intended to be a lifetime purchase, then passed on to the kids...
    It might even make you feel like a kid too ;-)  I want one...
Working...
X