Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rider
    replied
    Rejigged the Soma B-Side cockpit by returning the S-T Thudbuster and ISM Sport saddle, as the L-T Thudbuster and ISM Urbaine will move on to my new upcoming Surly ECR build. Added some narrow ~600mm Ritchey alloy flat bars off a early 1990's Schwinn Crosspoint I still have, but is now setup as a more upright hybrid commuter bike. Gloved it with the Ergon GP5 grips with ESI covered long bars ends that I was using as inner bars prior. The Fouriers Trailhead 35* sweep bars with two pairs of ESI Extra Chunky grips will go to the Surly ECR as well. I held off installing a new set of Tektro E350 Bafang cutoff hydraulic brakes and rotors on the Soma B-Side, as they will now go to the new Surly ECR. I cut off the ends of the Bafang manual levers attached to BB7 brakes to make them 2-3 finger levers, giving me more handlebar control while braking and further lever pull. The new setup fits this ride well, as it has become the closest thing I will ever own to a drop bar road bike again. The large comfortable ESI covered bar ends are just the right "old school" width for comfortable city ripping without as much of a possibility of catching a handlebar end on a pole, fence, wire, trashcan, bench, etc... that you have to maneuver around here when sidewalk hoping. Pictures are of the new setup. I'm still considering bumping the front belt ring up to a 55T to get a bit more speed out of the S-A 3spd IGH. Absolutely loving this bike and the way it has evolved over its' 3,000 mile life so far.
    Last edited by Rider; 05-25-2018, 03:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I think the Gates 50T is the smallest front belt ring that will clear the gear reduction housing bump. Not to worry though, Gates makes some big rear belt cogs to make up for the extra teeth up front. If you have the money the Rholoff 14spd IGH hubs have a huge offset that works with a BBS02 too. Search for the "Surly ECR BBS02" build on this site.

Here it is:
    I decided to pull out all of the stops with this E-bike build and use all top shelf components which have proven to be tough and reliable. The end result, in
    Last edited by Rider; 03-19-2018, 03:13 PM.

• freebike
    commented on 's reply
    rad! I see that you've installed the belt ring on the inside of the adapter/spider. I just got my french-made adapter in the mail this week. I mocked up a smaller CHAIN ring to the spider and it doesn't clear the screws and/or face place of the motor controller. really bummed about that. not sure what to do about the spacing... so rad that this project came together for you tho!

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    It sure looks like it:

I bought it on eBay.

This S-A 3spd Cassette setup has been working great for over 2,500 miles now. Did a quick ride today from Anaheim, CA to Seal Beach Pier and back in 1-1/2 hours. About 25 miles with average speed ~16.67mph. Current gearing is 50T X 24T. Now that this bike is a dedicated cement and hardpack dirt ride I'm considering going 55T up front. No worries what so ever regarding the Gates Carbon Drive belt. Best thing ever invented after IGH hubs!

• freebike
    commented on 's reply
    Such a great build story, thanks for sharing!!! I was inspired before. and now I have even more confidence in a belt drive. is this spacer/spider/adapter the same on from the precialps web site?

Last edited by freebike; 03-07-2018, 05:30 PM.

• Rider
    replied
    Getting close to 2,500 miles on this bike now. Wonderful trail bike and commuter ride setup like this. I'm now thinking about increasing the front belt ring to a 55T; the same path APailthorp followed...
    Last edited by Rider; 02-18-2018, 03:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    Got the Soma B-Side back on the road today. What a difference the higher gearing, rigid carbon fork and tubeless WTB Byway tires made. The bike has a whole new feel. The tires even at 50psi have forgiving sidewall cushion. The rigid carbon fork is super responsive; none of that full suspension sluggishness. The new 50T x 24T gearing mated with the S-A 3spd IGH makes a wonderful match of power, speed and ease of use. At level 6 of 9 with speed limiter set to 28mph, it cruises at about 21mph at a nice cadence. Bump that to 7 of 9 and it speeds along at about 23mph with a faster, but doable cadence. With this gearing and the 3spd IGH I now start in 1st gear from a stop light (not 2nd) and normally hit 3rd gear about the time I reach the other side of the street. Then it is a simple pedal cruise at 21mph... Fast enough and safe enough for most riders.

I did one of my normal rides from my home in Anaheim to the Queen Mary in Long Beach and back in about 2 hours! Logged 41 miles, averaged 18.3mph with all stops included and hit a top speed of 29.3mph. Only used 6 volts (Start = 53V / End = 47V).

Here's the new look. I'm back in speed demon mode and can easily hang with the roadies. Whisper quiet belt drive is so sweet! Nobody knows you're coming.
    Last edited by Rider; 01-04-2018, 02:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• APailthorp
    commented on 's reply
    That's a valid point. The manufacturer had this to say:
    Hi what did the chainline look like on this? Only way I could see how this would happen is if it was being pulled laterally or it was being lugged.

-Gary
    Luna CS Mgr.
    Later in the conversation they gave me a 50% discount coupon after I'd had the part for nearly a year, so no complaints, but there are other alternatives. California E-Bike has one that is much more burly.

The cheap SA 3 speed hub I'm running does seem happier (less likely to skip on hard pulls) with the lesser tension of a chain, but that's not an empirical evaluation, just a subjective impression.

• Rider
    replied
    I don't think this baby on my B-Side will be failing anytime soon...

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    Once again, it's not the Gates belt, it's the part you bolted to the BBSHD pulling the chain/belt-line in that failed. It would have failed with a chain too. Don't buy anymore of those! Buy/make something stronger and better designed; no matter if you run a belt or chain.

• APailthorp
    commented on 's reply
    I've been using a waxed chain set up with this kit, which has been working well: https://www.runawaybike.com/products/hot-tub

• ykick
    replied
    For low cost, efficiency and simplicity it's hard to beat a chain. Clean and dry might wear out a little faster but only $12 to replace? Wax based lube is interesting and tends to be fairly clean but I've been experimenting with pristine clean and dry chain/sprockets on a folding bike and it's holding up remarkably well.

Leave a comment:

• APailthorp
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, this set-up might be okay with lower power levels of a BBS02. The Rohloff is not only pricey, but servicing is not nearly as nice for me. We have a local shop, http://www.rideyourbike.com that fully services most IGH, including Alfine but not Rohloff. Those have to be sent out. Generally regarded as very reliable, but I just don't want/need to go there. Chain is not terrible, just not as nice as belt. It would nice if Gates would sell a dedicated e-bike set, somewhat wider belt and Luna Eclipse drum style cogs to get the belt line in... Or maybe I just need to buy one of these: https://www.kalkhoff-bikes.com/en/bi...speed-i11.html

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    Holy smokes! I'd say the belt held up pretty well, considering the "metal" parts are what broke. You must be running a BBSHD, right?

I've had zero belt issues, but my belt is perfectly aligned like it is supposed to be. I even got so used to pulling the rear wheel for various other reasons that I set the tension by feel now. Originally I always set it with the Gates harmonic phone app, then checked the tension with my hand. Over time I felt comfortable setting it by hand without the app.

A Rohloff 14spd IGH is my "Holy Gail!" I watched a set of 29er rims with a rear Rohloff with 4,000 miles on it start at $750 and sell for $820 with about $90 shipping from HI. Still a good deal, but I too haven't found the monetary stomach to shell out the doe, yet. The Rohloff gives a great wide beltline for BBS02 use. It's the only IGH that does that, besides the S-A 3spd cassette IGH hub.

I think your mishap is most likely BBSHD and beltline related...

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    Very important feedback....Thank you.
Working...
X