X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APailthorp
    replied
    Originally posted by Rider View Post
    The B-Side is well into getting its' "redo" with new: gearing, tires, forks, bars, seatpost & saddle. The "redo" is going to make it more of a street ride with less aggressive tires and faster speed.

APailthorp - I'm following in your footsteps. Making a move from 50Tx28T to 50Tx24T. Until I try it out, I won't know if I go all the way to 55Tx24T like you did...
    With regrets, I recently converted back to chain, 42x21 to the same three speed hub for now. I broke my spider. It may well be my fault, as more than once I walked the belt on (causing significant lateral strain and against all recommendations, but I was lazy and didn't want to pull the wheel out to set the belt back on properly). There were other reasons besides the broken part. On a really steep hill (ramp out of parking lot) I could get belt skip. For a while I thought the hub was skipping teeth, but it was the belt. It can help to run at very high belt tension, but that can introduce other issues. I don't think my cheap 3 speed hub liked being pulled that hard.

I was getting some trouble with the hub as well (actually have replaced internals twice). With the reduced tension on the hub, I'm no longer getting the occasional skips from chipped teeth in the hub (what we found in the first two hubs). Eventually I'll go to an Alfine hub, since belt line isn't an issue having converted to chain.

I still really like belt drive, have another bike with belt and 11 speed Alfine but no electrics that I think is great. But pushing 1500W/2HP through the bike belt didn't work as well as I wanted it to. Also, for the hills here in Seattle I'd like to have greater gear range than I can get from the 3 speed and I'm not inclined to spring for a Rolhoff.

YMMV, good luck!

Last edited by APailthorp; 12-15-2017, 06:22 PM. Reason: Clarifications

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    Work in progress pictures...
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    The B-Side is well into getting its' "redo" with new: gearing, tires, forks, bars, seatpost & saddle. The "redo" is going to make it more of a street ride with less aggressive tires and faster speed.

Originally posted by APailthorp View Post
    Running my belt and CS-RK3 off the BBSHD with 55x24. Cruises real nice, have about 150 miles on it so far. With this gearing, the bike definitely needs the motor. I rode it 50x28 for a bit, then electrified it, then tried 50x24. Finally I decided to go to 55x24, although that means keep your battery charged for sure. Cruising in third with a nice cadence at about 24MPH, stop pedalling at about 27 MPH, tops out motor only about 29-30 MPH on the flat.
    APailthorp - I'm following in your footsteps. Making a move from 50Tx28T to 50Tx24T. Until I try it out, I won't know if I go all the way to 55Tx24T like you did...

Here are the changes in the works (pictures in next post):

1) Exotic Carbon Disc Brake 46.5 fork
    2) WTB Byway 27.5x47c tires setup tubeless with Stan's sealant
    3) Fourier Trailhead handlebars with customized Ergon bar end horns and triple ESI Extra Chunky grips
    4) Thudbuster LT seatpost
    5) ISM Urbaine saddle
    6) BB7 manual disc brakes with power cutoffs

I'm hoping the new gearing will cruise in 3rd at 20-22mph. The WTB Byway tires have a road bike center tread with small lugs out on the sides for off-road grip. They should roll faster and easier on the pavement, gravel and mild dry hardpack we have here on my local SoCal trails. This ride will now be my 90% pavement and 10% dirt rig.
    Last edited by Rider; 12-14-2017, 04:20 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    Mine arrived early! Here they are over the top of the Fourier Trailheads with custom Ergon horns. I'm going to try them on the Niner Jet 9 build first, as I just setup the Trailheads of this B-Side "redo" project. Go there to that build to see them mounted up soon...

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    Will do.

• Rider
    commented on 's reply
    Let me know what you think. Do you know what "SG" aluminum means? Is it heavier than whatever the 0.5" rise standard Jones H-Bar are made of?

I think Santa has a 2.5" riser (actual 2" rise) in his bag for me! :-)

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Rider View Post
    The new 2.5" RISER H-Bars give you additional rise which is what this old guy with a long upper body needs!
    LBS is holding one for me. I'll go look at it next week.

Leave a comment:

• theronchaplin
    commented on 's reply
    I bought those Jones bars the day they came out, they're awesome! I have only good things to say about them, multiple hand positions, space for accessories, the 2" of extra rise... all good. I've got it on a Paratrooper that I plan to electrify next year.

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    I like that. I have not seen a side view before. I like them even more now.

• Rider
    replied
    The new 2.5" RISER H-Bars give you additional rise which is what this old guy with a long upper body needs!

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    replied
    Hi all! This is my first E-bike build. It was quite a challenge but had a blast doing it. I started with a Marin Point Reyes 22" 26" hybrid frame.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    I was reading about those handle bars last night. There is a dealer somewhat near me but I haven't called to see if they have any in stock.

• Rider
    replied
    I have got my eye on the 2.5" RISER Jones H-Bar for my next adventure bike build. This B-Side was disassembled a while back while I build up a 2013 Niner Jet 9 with this SA 3spd cassette IGH wheel set. I put the B-Side and 27.5 RockShox fork up for sale, but haven't got any takers yet. I'm not willing to give it away because I really like this ride and if it did sell I'd have to come up with the additional cash for a Juice 27.5+/29 frame. If it doesn't sell, this ride will probably get a full makeover.

Here's my plan:
    - Exotic 46.5 carbon fork from the disassembled eCruiser (just the right length)
    - New Jones 2.5" riser H-bar handlebars with extra long ESI extra chunky blue grips
    - Thudbuster L-T with Urbaine saddle (the S-T can go on the Electra Coaster 3 pedal cruiser)
    - Bring back the SA 3spd IGH 27.5 Halo Vapour wheel set (put the 29er wheel set onto the Niner Jet 9 with a smaller 2.2 rear so they fit)
    - New pair of WTB 650B 47C ByWay tubeless tires
    - Reduce the rear Gates Carbon Drive cog from 28T to 24T (hopefully the same belt will still work with the drops slide back)
    - Put the BBS02B back on with the 21Ah/1008Wh battery in the Ibera commuter bag with custom rack

Setup like this the reconfigured B-Side will be 20% faster at about 22mph and be more pavement oriented, yet with the ByWays I can still hit the hard dry SoCal trails with the side knobbies these tires have. It's just a thought right now, but the Specialized Compound Control 29x2.2 that arrives soon should allow the 29er wheels to fit the Niner or Soma, so my options are open...

Last edited by Rider; 11-28-2017, 05:11 PM.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    I had a local bike shop mechanic shorten the steerer tube on my Surly Moonlander fork, only to have the handlebars too low even with a tall stem. I fixed the problem by buying a new fork and not cutting it, using headset spacers to raise my handlebars as high as possible. I hate it when anybody cuts a steerer tube; I have no idea why they wouldn't just leave the steerer tube alone and use headset spacers.

• Rider
    replied
    Installed the new SID fork with uncut steer tube adding over 40mm of additional handlebar height adjustment. I don't think I will ever cut a steer tube again on a new fork. You can always put spacers on top of the stem if you want to run it lower and the little additional weight isn't a concern for this long upper body Clyde. Lol...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X