Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rider
    replied
    Picked up a NOS RockShox SID RTC3 29er 100mm QR-9mm Tapered fork in all black for 50% off today. This new fork will accept the 27.5+ or 29 (guessing up to 2.8?). This will give me a fork that works with both of my wheel sets, fits the Soma B-Side & Juice and has a long uncut steer tube which will allow a much higher handlebar position. Can't wait to try it out.

In addition, I found these really neat Problem Solvers steer tube spacers that convert a 1" steer tube to a 1-1/8" steer tube. This will allow the Exotic Carbon 27.5+/29+ 465mm fork now on the eCruiser 1" steer tube frame to be used on the Soma B-Side & Juice, when combined with the Cane Creek 52/30 Conversion Crown Race 1-1/2" to 1-1/8"; which I set up for tapered forks. Right now the RockShox TK 30 Gold Solo AIr 27.5 100mm QR-9mm Straight fork is using the Cane Creek Conversion Crown Race to make it fit the 1-1/2" lower on a tapered headset.

These Problem Solvers and Cane Creek parts are wonderful to know about if you have parts you like to mix and match on different bikes. Even though one RockShox fork is Straight and the other tapered, they both can be mounted on any 1-1/2" lower frame setup for tapered. And the Exotic Carbon fork with only a 1" steer tube can now be used on any of the three styles: Straight 1", Straight 1-1/8" or Tapered with 1-1/2" lower.

Whoa!

ADDED 11-28-17: FYI those "Problem Solver" adapters are for the frame to accept a 1" headset. I thought they were for the fork steerer tube to increase it from 1" to 1-1/8". Is see some of those out there with a small lip on them that "should" work under a 1" fork race and on top with a 1-1/8" headset hole, but the ones I posted are not for that.
    Last edited by Rider; 11-28-2017, 05:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

Did you realize that when you stop pedaling the motor continues for a half second or so but if you back pedal the slightest amount it instantly kills the power...
    No, I didn't know that. I will try it out next ride. The stock lengthy shut-off delay is a big PITA. I've been meaning to play with the programming cable, but never seem to find the time to research and learn before doing. If a backpedal does the trick, that's even more reason to keep putting off learning how to use the programming cable. :-)

PS: I noticed the B-Side's rear tire was flat sitting in the rake, after returning from a ride on the eCruiser today. Found a piece of metal wire sticking out of the tire. I pulled the wheel off and might go tubeless since I have a pair of valve stems sitting around. This is the second flat with the cushy and comfortable Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires (without Green Guard, non-Plus). They are lighter and thinner, but I'm not sure it's worth the weight savings if I continue to get flats.
    Last edited by Rider; 09-16-2017, 05:36 PM.

Leave a comment:

• calfee20
    commented on 's reply
    Well of course that is true. I rarely use the throttle anyway.

• ykick
    commented on 's reply
    I do that too with my external gear train. One oddity, it doesn't cut power if you have throttle applied. At least on 2 different BBSHD's.

• calfee20
    replied
    Originally posted by Rider View Post
    The time off my Gates Carbon Drive ride sure makes me appreciate the whisper quiet belt drive and wide 33% gear spacing on the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed cassette IGH. It’s hard to tell if the shift sensor is doing anything. I still pause and wait for the power assist to kick off before shifting. I did seem to feel a slightly longer lag after shifting before the power assist kicked back in. My guess is that’s the shifter sensor holding of the power for enough time to insure a clean shift.
    Did you realize that when you stop pedaling the motor continues for a half second or so but if you back pedal the slightest amount it instantly kills the power. I have developed a slight back pedal, shift, and slight forward pedal, then pause for derailleur shifts. The forward , pause activates the motor just enough to engage the next the cog. For the IGH it is a slight back pedal, shift, and go.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    Installed a gear sensor shutoff on the shifter cable and took the B-Side for a 45 mile ride today. I’ve been riding my new Electra Lux 5i 29+ eCruiser for the last 250+ miles and it was nice to be back on a responsive “whiptastic” short chain stay 27.5+ eMTB again for a change of pace. This thing eats up sidewalk driveways, tight turns around landscaping, telephone poles, trees, etc…, curb drops at freeway on and off ramps, and dodging the homeless and no leash dogs through the Anaheim homeless encampments. The cities and county officials really need to get that situation resolved ASAP! I know they are trying...

The time off my Gates Carbon Drive ride sure makes me appreciate the whisper quiet belt drive and wide 33% gear spacing on the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed cassette IGH. It’s hard to tell if the shift sensor is doing anything. I still pause and wait for the power assist to kick off before shifting. I did seem to feel a slightly longer lag after shifting before the power assist kicked back in. My guess is that’s the shifter sensor holding of the power for enough time to insure a clean shift.

Wonderful weather and ride today. Did 45 miles total. Average speed was 15.2mph. Top speed was 28.8mph (downhill after sparing with a couple strong roadies up hill on coast HWY). Started with a full 54.3 volts in the tank. Ended with 49.1 volts left. Used 5.2 volts during the 45 miles or an average of 0.1156 volts per mile. Battery shutoff is set to 42 volts, so 7.1 volts left in the tank. All else being equal, there are still about 61 miles left in the tank. Sweat!

Today’s ride really makes me want to put my 29+ Sturmey-Archer 5-speed IGH wheel set that’s currently on the Electra eCruiser on a Soma Juice frame and figure out some way of getting a Gates Carbon Drive to line up with the RX-RK5 rear hub. Once you go belt drive it’s hard to go back.

I think a pair of his (Juice 29+ 5i) and hers (B-Side 27.5+ 3i) Soma belt drive eMTB's are in order! ;-)
    Last edited by Rider; 09-14-2017, 01:51 PM.

Leave a comment:

• commuter ebikes
    commented on 's reply
    I put seven tire liners and 26 ounces of slime in my rear tire. I run over broken glass and hardware quite often and rarely get a flat. Armor up and you can roll over that debris.

• Rider
    replied
    Riding her like a madman now that she let me back in the saddle. Rolled over the 2,000 mile mark...

Taking a break at the end of the Belmont Peninsula in Long Beach near the harbor entrance.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    Got my first flat this weekend in my over two years of returning to riding. Took a nice ride from Anaheim to Long Beach and happened to catch the Long Beach to Catalina and BACK water skier races. Can you imagine 62 miles back on about a 150 foot rope behind a crazy fast speed boat with a drive, throttle guy and spotter up front ripping you at super fast speeds through the open ocean water?. CRAZY! If interested take a look at this site:

On the way back after existing the bike only trail I was ghost pedaling at 22mph on the street when I heard a little pisst, pisst, pisst... Wasn't really sure what it was. Thought I might have picked something up in the tread, but then it got louder and sounded more like air leaking out. I quickly pulled over and by the time I stopped the rear tire was completely flat. This little shard of glass is what did me in.

I was only about one city block from home, so I got the cell phone out and called for a ride. Stopped right in front of a liqueur store with a shaded walk. Just in case it was a sign, I went in and bought a Power Ball lotto ticket that is currently at about 350 million. I'd like to say I woke up this morning 350 million dollars richer, but... :-(
    Last edited by Rider; 08-13-2017, 03:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    Super quiet and virtually maintenance free, plus no greasy mess to deal with.

Logged 40 miles today and still no slipping/skipping. Whoa!

Leave a comment:

• Zippy
    replied
    Gotta say that looks beyond awesome with the 2.8's on there. Beautiful cycle and the Gates drive must be really quiet.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    Finally got her back on the road with some homemade parts until the proper Sturmey-Archer parts arrive. Did 25 miles round trip to the beach and back. No slipping and the new Schwalbe Super Moto-X 2.8 on the rear has the bike riding on a cloud. Here's a shot of the bike with both new shoes on Seal Beach pier.

Beautiful day and wonderful to be back in the saddle!

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    You've got to go read the trouble shooting post referenced above. OMG! What is Sturmey-Archer making their axle nut out of?

Got the rear wheel with Schwalbe Super Moto-X 2.8" mounted up and there is plenty of clearance on this 2016 Soma B-Side. That is wonderful news! The ride (for the short time I tested it) was amazing with two of these soft rollers on there. Driveway curbs are almost unnoticeable. It's like floating on air and they grip like mad in turns.

Hopefully all the cracking and exploding Sturmey-Archer axle nuts will be replaced next week and I will be back on the road. I'm starting to get depressed without my every other day bike rides...

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    Put another 500 miles on her since my last post. Turned over 1,500 miles and it has developed a little pedal slip/skip that I believe I've pinned down to the rear hub. Here's the trouble shooting thread:

ADDED 7/15/2017: AT THIS POINT I AM 99% SURE THE ISSUE IS THE REAR HUB SLIPPING AND NOT THE BBS02-B My BBS02B 750W/48V running on a 48V P-S GA battery pack now has

In addition I put a Schwalbe Super Moto-X 27.5" x 2.8" on the front because I'm riding on pavement so much. OMG! This tire gives a soft ride full of traction. It fit the standard RockShox TK 30 Gold Air Forks and measures about 2.6"-2.7" on the narrow 19mm ID rims depending on the air pressure. Tires can be ran at 20-45psi. I've been running the front at 30psi for a Cadillac ride.

While I have the rear wheel off correcting the hub torque issues, I installed another Super Moto-X 2.8" on the rear. Clearance will be tight, as this Soma frame isn't made for tires bigger than 2.4 (I believe), but it does seem to fit with little room to spare. We will see once I get the rear all mounted up again.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Rider; 07-22-2017, 06:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rider
    replied
    Yes, the perfect fit makes all the difference and this bike is really close. Going with a smaller frame so others can ride it has made fitting a bit of a challenge.

Will be rolling over 1,000 miles this week in silent belt drive slender! Loving the ride, but find myself going faster and faster on pavement and don't like the feel of ghost pedaling much. Traveling on the street with cars to get to a designated bike only trail has me ghost pedaling at 22-23mph just to get it over with. More so on the return than the initial warm up at the beginning of the ride.

For those that have followed this build thread and might be interested in my next build, I have started a new cruiser build here:

https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...iser-3-project

I'm going to try a Sturmey-Archer 5spd RX-RK5 Disc IGH that has 25% gear spacing to add more range to my touring trail ride and move the 3spd to the cruiser with a little higher gearing, because a granny low isn't really needed on a cruiser or street only ride. The cruiser is an aluminum Electra Cruiser 3 that will be converted to disc brakes and 27.5+ x2.8 tires with a little classic early 1900's motorcycle styling.
    Last edited by Rider; 06-15-2017, 05:54 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X