No announcement yet.

Soma B-Side V.2 Belt Drive BBS02 750W/48V Custom Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta say that looks beyond awesome with the 2.8's on there. Beautiful cycle and the Gates drive must be really quiet.

Comment

Super quiet and virtually maintenance free, plus no greasy mess to deal with.

Logged 40 miles today and still no slipping/skipping. Whoa!
      MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
      2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
      2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

Got my first flat this weekend in my over two years of returning to riding. Took a nice ride from Anaheim to Long Beach and happened to catch the Long Beach to Catalina and BACK water skier races. Can you imagine 62 miles back on about a 150 foot rope behind a crazy fast speed boat with a drive, throttle guy and spotter up front ripping you at super fast speeds through the open ocean water?. CRAZY! If interested take a look at this site:

On the way back after existing the bike only trail I was ghost pedaling at 22mph on the street when I heard a little pisst, pisst, pisst... Wasn't really sure what it was. Thought I might have picked something up in the tread, but then it got louder and sounded more like air leaking out. I quickly pulled over and by the time I stopped the rear tire was completely flat. This little shard of glass is what did me in.

I was only about one city block from home, so I got the cell phone out and called for a ride. Stopped right in front of a liqueur store with a shaded walk. Just in case it was a sign, I went in and bought a Power Ball lotto ticket that is currently at about 350 million. I'd like to say I woke up this morning 350 million dollars richer, but... :-(
        Last edited by Rider; 08-13-2017, 03:45 PM.
        MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

• commuter ebikes
          commuter ebikes commented
          Editing a comment
          I put seven tire liners and 26 ounces of slime in my rear tire. I run over broken glass and hardware quite often and rarely get a flat. Armor up and you can roll over that debris.

Riding her like a madman now that she let me back in the saddle. Rolled over the 2,000 mile mark...

Taking a break at the end of the Belmont Peninsula in Long Beach near the harbor entrance.
        MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

Installed a gear sensor shutoff on the shifter cable and took the B-Side for a 45 mile ride today. I’ve been riding my new Electra Lux 5i 29+ eCruiser for the last 250+ miles and it was nice to be back on a responsive “whiptastic” short chain stay 27.5+ eMTB again for a change of pace. This thing eats up sidewalk driveways, tight turns around landscaping, telephone poles, trees, etc…, curb drops at freeway on and off ramps, and dodging the homeless and no leash dogs through the Anaheim homeless encampments. The cities and county officials really need to get that situation resolved ASAP! I know they are trying...

The time off my Gates Carbon Drive ride sure makes me appreciate the whisper quiet belt drive and wide 33% gear spacing on the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed cassette IGH. It’s hard to tell if the shift sensor is doing anything. I still pause and wait for the power assist to kick off before shifting. I did seem to feel a slightly longer lag after shifting before the power assist kicked back in. My guess is that’s the shifter sensor holding of the power for enough time to insure a clean shift.

Wonderful weather and ride today. Did 45 miles total. Average speed was 15.2mph. Top speed was 28.8mph (downhill after sparing with a couple strong roadies up hill on coast HWY). Started with a full 54.3 volts in the tank. Ended with 49.1 volts left. Used 5.2 volts during the 45 miles or an average of 0.1156 volts per mile. Battery shutoff is set to 42 volts, so 7.1 volts left in the tank. All else being equal, there are still about 61 miles left in the tank. Sweat!

Today’s ride really makes me want to put my 29+ Sturmey-Archer 5-speed IGH wheel set that’s currently on the Electra eCruiser on a Soma Juice frame and figure out some way of getting a Gates Carbon Drive to line up with the RX-RK5 rear hub. Once you go belt drive it’s hard to go back.

I think a pair of his (Juice 29+ 5i) and hers (B-Side 27.5+ 3i) Soma belt drive eMTB's are in order! ;-)
          Last edited by Rider; 09-14-2017, 01:51 PM.
          MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

Originally posted by Rider View Post
            The time off my Gates Carbon Drive ride sure makes me appreciate the whisper quiet belt drive and wide 33% gear spacing on the Sturmey-Archer 3-speed cassette IGH. It’s hard to tell if the shift sensor is doing anything. I still pause and wait for the power assist to kick off before shifting. I did seem to feel a slightly longer lag after shifting before the power assist kicked back in. My guess is that’s the shifter sensor holding of the power for enough time to insure a clean shift.
            Did you realize that when you stop pedaling the motor continues for a half second or so but if you back pedal the slightest amount it instantly kills the power. I have developed a slight back pedal, shift, and slight forward pedal, then pause for derailleur shifts. The forward , pause activates the motor just enough to engage the next the cog. For the IGH it is a slight back pedal, shift, and go.

Comment

• ykick
              ykick commented
              Editing a comment
              I do that too with my external gear train. One oddity, it doesn't cut power if you have throttle applied. At least on 2 different BBSHD's.

• calfee20
              calfee20 commented
              Editing a comment
              Well of course that is true. I rarely use the throttle anyway.

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

Did you realize that when you stop pedaling the motor continues for a half second or so but if you back pedal the slightest amount it instantly kills the power...
            No, I didn't know that. I will try it out next ride. The stock lengthy shut-off delay is a big PITA. I've been meaning to play with the programming cable, but never seem to find the time to research and learn before doing. If a backpedal does the trick, that's even more reason to keep putting off learning how to use the programming cable. :-)

PS: I noticed the B-Side's rear tire was flat sitting in the rake, after returning from a ride on the eCruiser today. Found a piece of metal wire sticking out of the tire. I pulled the wheel off and might go tubeless since I have a pair of valve stems sitting around. This is the second flat with the cushy and comfortable Schwalbe Super Moto-X tires (without Green Guard, non-Plus). They are lighter and thinner, but I'm not sure it's worth the weight savings if I continue to get flats.
            Last edited by Rider; 09-16-2017, 05:36 PM.
            MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

Picked up a NOS RockShox SID RTC3 29er 100mm QR-9mm Tapered fork in all black for 50% off today. This new fork will accept the 27.5+ or 29 (guessing up to 2.8?). This will give me a fork that works with both of my wheel sets, fits the Soma B-Side & Juice and has a long uncut steer tube which will allow a much higher handlebar position. Can't wait to try it out.

In addition, I found these really neat Problem Solvers steer tube spacers that convert a 1" steer tube to a 1-1/8" steer tube. This will allow the Exotic Carbon 27.5+/29+ 465mm fork now on the eCruiser 1" steer tube frame to be used on the Soma B-Side & Juice, when combined with the Cane Creek 52/30 Conversion Crown Race 1-1/2" to 1-1/8"; which I set up for tapered forks. Right now the RockShox TK 30 Gold Solo AIr 27.5 100mm QR-9mm Straight fork is using the Cane Creek Conversion Crown Race to make it fit the 1-1/2" lower on a tapered headset.

These Problem Solvers and Cane Creek parts are wonderful to know about if you have parts you like to mix and match on different bikes. Even though one RockShox fork is Straight and the other tapered, they both can be mounted on any 1-1/2" lower frame setup for tapered. And the Exotic Carbon fork with only a 1" steer tube can now be used on any of the three styles: Straight 1", Straight 1-1/8" or Tapered with 1-1/2" lower.

Whoa!

ADDED 11-28-17: FYI those "Problem Solver" adapters are for the frame to accept a 1" headset. I thought they were for the fork steerer tube to increase it from 1" to 1-1/8". Is see some of those out there with a small lip on them that "should" work under a 1" fork race and on top with a 1-1/8" headset hole, but the ones I posted are not for that.
              Last edited by Rider; 11-28-2017, 05:21 PM.
              MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

Installed the new SID fork with uncut steer tube adding over 40mm of additional handlebar height adjustment. I don't think I will ever cut a steer tube again on a new fork. You can always put spacers on top of the stem if you want to run it lower and the little additional weight isn't a concern for this long upper body Clyde. Lol...
                MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

• commuter ebikes
                  commuter ebikes commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I had a local bike shop mechanic shorten the steerer tube on my Surly Moonlander fork, only to have the handlebars too low even with a tall stem. I fixed the problem by buying a new fork and not cutting it, using headset spacers to raise my handlebars as high as possible. I hate it when anybody cuts a steerer tube; I have no idea why they wouldn't just leave the steerer tube alone and use headset spacers.

I have got my eye on the 2.5" RISER Jones H-Bar for my next adventure bike build. This B-Side was disassembled a while back while I build up a 2013 Niner Jet 9 with this SA 3spd cassette IGH wheel set. I put the B-Side and 27.5 RockShox fork up for sale, but haven't got any takers yet. I'm not willing to give it away because I really like this ride and if it did sell I'd have to come up with the additional cash for a Juice 27.5+/29 frame. If it doesn't sell, this ride will probably get a full makeover.

Here's my plan:
                - Exotic 46.5 carbon fork from the disassembled eCruiser (just the right length)
                - New Jones 2.5" riser H-bar handlebars with extra long ESI extra chunky blue grips
                - Thudbuster L-T with Urbaine saddle (the S-T can go on the Electra Coaster 3 pedal cruiser)
                - Bring back the SA 3spd IGH 27.5 Halo Vapour wheel set (put the 29er wheel set onto the Niner Jet 9 with a smaller 2.2 rear so they fit)
                - New pair of WTB 650B 47C ByWay tubeless tires
                - Reduce the rear Gates Carbon Drive cog from 28T to 24T (hopefully the same belt will still work with the drops slide back)
                - Put the BBS02B back on with the 21Ah/1008Wh battery in the Ibera commuter bag with custom rack

Setup like this the reconfigured B-Side will be 20% faster at about 22mph and be more pavement oriented, yet with the ByWays I can still hit the hard dry SoCal trails with the side knobbies these tires have. It's just a thought right now, but the Specialized Compound Control 29x2.2 that arrives soon should allow the 29er wheels to fit the Niner or Soma, so my options are open...

Last edited by Rider; 11-28-2017, 05:11 PM.
                MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

• calfee20
                  calfee20 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was reading about those handle bars last night. There is a dealer somewhat near me but I haven't called to see if they have any in stock.

• theronchaplin
                  theronchaplin commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I bought those Jones bars the day they came out, they're awesome! I have only good things to say about them, multiple hand positions, space for accessories, the 2" of extra rise... all good. I've got it on a Paratrooper that I plan to electrify next year.

Hi all! This is my first E-bike build. It was quite a challenge but had a blast doing it. I started with a Marin Point Reyes 22" 26" hybrid frame.

Comment

The new 2.5" RISER H-Bars give you additional rise which is what this old guy with a long upper body needs!
                  MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I like that. I have not seen a side view before. I like them even more now.

Originally posted by Rider View Post
                  The new 2.5" RISER H-Bars give you additional rise which is what this old guy with a long upper body needs!
                  LBS is holding one for me. I'll go look at it next week.

Comment

• Rider
                    Rider commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Let me know what you think. Do you know what "SG" aluminum means? Is it heavier than whatever the 0.5" rise standard Jones H-Bar are made of?

I think Santa has a 2.5" riser (actual 2" rise) in his bag for me! :-)

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Will do.

Mine arrived early! Here they are over the top of the Fourier Trailheads with custom Ergon horns. I'm going to try them on the Niner Jet 9 build first, as I just setup the Trailheads of this B-Side "redo" project. Go there to that build to see them mounted up soon...
                  MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

The B-Side is well into getting its' "redo" with new: gearing, tires, forks, bars, seatpost & saddle. The "redo" is going to make it more of a street ride with less aggressive tires and faster speed.

Originally posted by APailthorp View Post
                    Running my belt and CS-RK3 off the BBSHD with 55x24. Cruises real nice, have about 150 miles on it so far. With this gearing, the bike definitely needs the motor. I rode it 50x28 for a bit, then electrified it, then tried 50x24. Finally I decided to go to 55x24, although that means keep your battery charged for sure. Cruising in third with a nice cadence at about 24MPH, stop pedalling at about 27 MPH, tops out motor only about 29-30 MPH on the flat.
                    APailthorp - I'm following in your footsteps. Making a move from 50Tx28T to 50Tx24T. Until I try it out, I won't know if I go all the way to 55Tx24T like you did...

Here are the changes in the works (pictures in next post):

1) Exotic Carbon Disc Brake 46.5 fork
                    2) WTB Byway 27.5x47c tires setup tubeless with Stan's sealant
                    3) Fourier Trailhead handlebars with customized Ergon bar end horns and triple ESI Extra Chunky grips
                    4) Thudbuster LT seatpost
                    5) ISM Urbaine saddle
                    6) BB7 manual disc brakes with power cutoffs

I'm hoping the new gearing will cruise in 3rd at 20-22mph. The WTB Byway tires have a road bike center tread with small lugs out on the sides for off-road grip. They should roll faster and easier on the pavement, gravel and mild dry hardpack we have here on my local SoCal trails. This ride will now be my 90% pavement and 10% dirt rig.
                    Last edited by Rider; 12-14-2017, 04:20 PM.
                    MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...

Comment

Working...
                    X