2017 Giant Stance 2 with BBSHD/Shark 52V

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2017 Giant Stance 2 with BBSHD/Shark 52V

After months of research and reading, I'm am finalizing up some choices and starting to order. I will keep this thread updated as I progress through the process. It will be my first conversion (doing an Electra Townie 7D for my wife at the same time) so I'm sure there will be lots to learn.

Status
    • 11/04 : Ordered Ebay BB adapter (http://www.ebay.com/itm/301825746922) in anticipation of choosing the Stance. Still have 4 or so weeks left on shipping...
    • 11/06 : Ordered 2017 Giant Stance 2! Originally planned on ordering a 2016 for the 11x34 rear cassette over the 12x36 on the 2017 but when I finally made my decision my LBS could no longer get a large frame 2016.
    • 11/07 : After re-reading some previous threads, ordered the Amazon BB adapter (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) as well. Seems like three cuts on this one (two to cut off the flanges on the ends and one in the middle) will work.
    • 11/07 : Finalizing up some decisions and waiting to hear if Luna can come through and sell me their custom BB adapter. Hoping to order BBSHD kits tomorrow.

Open Questions
    1. Chain rings... should I go 42T Eclipse ring or the 42T Lekkie? Thinking black either way
    2. Are the two water bottle mounts good enough for the Shark or should I look into the rivnut / well nut route? Not sure I want to drill a hole in a brand new bike :)
    More to come!

Originally posted by samholton View Post
    [*]Chain rings... should I go 42T Eclipse ring or the 42T Lekkie? Thinking black either way
    The previous Luna build thread for this bike implies the Eclipse is needed - you could eval, using the stock pie plate, to be sure.

[*]Are the two water bottle mounts good enough for the Shark or should I look into the rivnut / well nut route? Not sure I want to drill a hole in a brand new bike :)
    I didn't want to drill the hole either, so what I did was:
    1. drill a new mounting hole in the cast metal part of the shark, so I'd get a firmer mount area - I had to move the pack up and away from the drivetrain anyway.
    2. I went down to my handy-dandy hardware store and bought two each of all of their types of M5(?) bolts (cadmium pan head, stainless hex, etc.), picked the set that had the best (tightest / least side-to-side rocking) fit in the boss, then used blue Loctite to set them (tight but not ridiculous). What I was trying to prevent is the steel screws loosening up, then vibrating / sawing out the boss threads.
    So far, so good
    BBSHD / BBS02 IGH Builds: Nexus / Alfine 8: 1 2 3 4 5 6, Rohloff: 1

Comment

Thanks for the input. Was leaning towards the eclipse just because that was used before. I saw the drilling part on the mount and was planning to do that. Good to hear just the two bolts hold it firm.

Comment

An update, everything is ordered and I picked up my bike last night. Waiting for the Luna package to get here. Got the Amazon adapter and one of those clamping pipe cutters. Going to try cutting it in half tonight and see how that goes. Figured it would be much better and easier than the hacksaw route. Once I have everything will start taking the bike apart and mark to see where to make my cuts on the ends so nothing is sticking out. Getting excited!

Comment

Ok, have more questions than answers now that most everything has been delivered. I am working on getting the crank arms and bottom bracket out of the Stance (most likely let my LBS do that). I cut the Amazon adapter in half and expected it to fit snug over the BBSHD "axel" that goes through the bottom bracket. I expected it to act as a bushing basically. However, I have a big gap between the outer diameter of the BBSHD (about 33.5mm) and the inner diameter of the adapter (about 38mm)
          Last edited by samholton; 11-15-2016, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Here is a photo as well

Comment

That really doesn't make sense. BBSHD should be snug if it is a standard British ISO threaded adaptor. Does the adaptor fit in your BB shell?

Comment

Ok, have more questions than answers now that most everything has been delivered. I am working on getting the crank arms and bottom bracket out of the Stance (most likely let my LBS do that). I cut the Amazon adapter in half and expected it to fit snug over the BBSHD "axel" that goes through the bottom bracket. I expected it to act as a bushing basically. However, I have a big gap between the outer diameter of the BBSHD (about 33.5mm) and the inner diameter of the adapter (about 38mm)
                It looks like you are a victim of me assuming that the ID in the middle of the adapter is the same, or very close to the same as the ISO threaded sections that I had you cut off. The ID of the BSA threaded section is about 34.2 mm, and gives you a snug fit with the BBSHD. The center ID of the adapter is clearly undercut. Since I steered you into this, I'll bail you out. You can have my BB92/BSA adapters. Me buying postage will help clear my guilty conscience. PM me your address, and I'll ship them right away.

I turned-down the end sections on a lathe, so I'm bushing with the 34.2mm threaded ends. Another builder forced his threaded ends in partially, with tremendous force (and almost cracked his bottom bracket shell), then cut off the excess. I wonder what Luna did? I wonder if Luna is fine with the sloppier fit? Anyway, I'm thinking your discovery puts the final nail on the coffin for the Amazon "FSA BB30 to 68mm" adapter.
                Last edited by Bones; 11-16-2016, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post

It looks like you are a victim of me assuming that the ID in the middle of the adapter is the same, or very close to the same as the ISO threaded sections that I had you cut off. The ID of the BSA threaded section is about 34.2 mm, and gives you a snug fit with the BBSHD. The center ID of the adapter is clearly undercut.
                  Yeah, just checked. I'm getting about 33.8 ID on the threaded section, the middle being visibly thinner. I have two of the BB92/BSA adapters on order from eBay but they won't be here until December 2nd. I will gladly pay them forward to the next builder that doesn't want to wait for shipping from China. Thanks!

Comment

Its good to see a few builds coming together with press fit bottom brackets

Comment

BB92/BSA Adapters are in the mail! I believe you will be the first to use this solution. It's got to be a better than the BB30 adapter headache. My cheap advice is grind off the flanges so they can be recessed into the Stance bottom bracket shell. This will give you the best possible chain-line, and the BBSHD can clamp directly to the bottom bracket shell. Do a quality Loctite job: proper surface prep, etc.

Be sure to use my contact info in the PM anytime you get stuck. You are going to love the finished product, so keep chargin'.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones View Post
                        BB92/BSA Adapters are in the mail!
                        Arrived today a day early. Thanks! First set of my ebay order also arrived really early as well (expected date was 12/1) so I have some flexibility in case I mess one up. Just took them out of the box and ID and OD measurements look good to me. Hoping to work on it tomorrow night or Sunday.

Comment

Ok, have another question. I am in the process of removing the cranks and bottom bracket from my 2017 Giant Stance 2. I will likely take it to my LBS to have them remove both, but I like to understand things anyway. Bones told me the bike has an ISIS crank. I already purchased and have the Park Tool CWP-7 for use on the BBSHD and my wife's Townie. When I was getting stuff together tonight in preparation for work this weekend, I noticed the CWP-7 said it also works on ISIS cranks - simply snap on the larger of the two ends. However, the CWP-7 does not thread into crank where I removed the cap - its diameter is too large. I have attached some pictures of what I'm working with, unfortunately I don't have one currently of the cap I removed.

I also don't see what the crank puller would push against once threaded into the crank arm. I can see completely through to the other side.

Comment

Ok, I think I may have answered my own question looking at the photos. I guess in my poorly lit garage I missed the threads on the actual crank itself. I was looking at the other threads where the cap was screwing into. So it appears my CWP-7 is actually too small to thread into the crank. If it did, it would then push against the inner threads and pull the crank off.

Question is, why does the CWP-7 say its compatible with ISIS cranks? Or is this crank arm on the Giant abnormal?

Comment

• Bones
                              Bones commented
                              Editing a comment
                              You probably have a self-extracting crank arm. If you removed two nested parts from the crank arm, you do. Reinstall them. With the outer ring snug, turn the inside hex nut CCW and it will pull the crank arm off.

If you only removed one nut from the crank arm, the proper puller will thread into the aluminum crank arm, and have an adapter on the nose that fits perfectly against the steel axle ("spindle" in bike-speak) without damaging the internal threads, or coming in contact with the aluminum crank arm. That's how you will be pulling the square tapered crank arms on the BBSHD. Don't forget to tap into Youtube for answers.

While we are talking crank arms, be sure to tighten the crank-arm bolts after the first few BBSHD rides. If the crank arms come loose, the steel-on-aluminum will damage the taper and you will never be able to get them tight again, and you will have to replace the crank arms.
                              Last edited by Bones; 11-20-2016, 12:48 PM.

I dropped the bike of at the shop today for them to pull the cranks and remove the BB. Everything I had read online said the FSA Comet had the self extracting cranks. Apparently I only looked on the non-drive side because as I was rolling the bike into the shop I noticed the self extracting crank on the drive side - or at least I thought it was, it had the outer ring with several circles in it and the hex inside. That outer ring with the circles in it was not on the non-drive side, only a single hex. So I'm guessing I could have removed the drive side and slide everything else out the other side.

Either way, i didn't have the tools to correctly remove the BB without brute forcing it. They charged me $30 but oh well. Pick it up tomorrow to start the install.

Comment

• Bones
                              Bones commented
                              Editing a comment
                              And they probably would have still charged you $30 if you pulled the cranks off. That puller you bought is nice. It will work great with the BBSHD.
                          Working...
                          X