Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Super commuter GT hardtail MTB cyclone build...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow this is a very very nice build! All done without a CNC or specialized tools... Love it!

Comment

omg awesome brackets and excellent battery integration! I personally wouldn't be running an ebike for only 10 miles but I bet this thing is rad!

Comment

Originally posted by Sebz View Post
        Wow this is a very very nice build! All done without a CNC or specialized tools... Love it!
        Thanks SEBZ! I've been wanting to make this into a real solid bike with a robust drivetrain. I hope this beast of a motor doesn't snap my chainstays. I've watched some real craftsmen make magnificent things with just simple tools. Me, I hack away with angle grinders and aluminum sheet.

Originally posted by Truck View Post
        omg awesome brackets and excellent battery integration! I personally wouldn't be running an ebike for only 10 miles but I bet this thing is rad!
        Thanks!, though I'm not sure what you are talking about with the battery and 10 miles... I haven't started on my battery box yet. If anyone has any suggestions for inexpensive panels for the sides of the box, I am all ears.

Comment

I took the damaged sprocket off and cleaned it up. You can see the violence of the arc in the smoke pattern on the sprocket.

A little grinding, and the sprocket is salvaged.

A few more shots of the motor mount.

I ground a notch in the mount to provide clearance for the rear derailleur cable.

Comment

I got busy with the lathe this morning to make a few spacers. All for the motor mount.

First I cut a spacer for the bottom bracket. I was having an issue where the bearings could move side to side inside the bottom bracket, so I cut a spacer to make the outside bearing stay in place.

Next I cut a couple of spacers so that I can replace the weird 4 bolt setup on the motor mount with two long and strong through bolts. Here's all the spacers.

The long spacers will replace this threaded piece... See how I have set the spacer there.

Comment

The bottom bracket spacer makes a huge difference. The bottom bracket is nice and tight now. Spins free and no more slop.

Comment

I ordered a 2' x 4' kydex sheet to use to build the battery box. While I am waiting for that, I put it all back together, and put the battery bag on the bike. Then I took it for a shakedown ride to the local singletrack. I figured the rooty track would quickly suss out any issues.

The battery bag sucks since it doesn't fit the frame well, and lets the battery bounce around too much. It would be a great bag for a larger frame, or for riding on the street. Other than that, the rest of the bike was solid. It could use a bit more brake though. Even with the larger front rotor and hydraulic brakes, it felt a bit manic at times. Of course, when you twist the throttle, the thing takes right off.

The exposure went nuts on this photo... As shown, it weighs 49.6lbs.

You can see the outline of the battery in the bag. It was just flopping around the whole time.

The bike handles well, even with the extra weight. I spent some time showing another biker around the trail system, so I did just pedal it for a few miles, and it does surprisingly well just pedaling along. I did nearly whiskey throttle the thing into a tree, but otherwise avoided any trouble. When I stopped to check the controller and the battery, they didn't feel hot, but the motor does get hot to the touch.

I maxxed it out at 39MPH on the surface streets, and was hanging nicely with 35MPH speed limit traffic.

When on the gas, the thing feels like a light weight dirt bike. It's got tons of torque, and is a bit scary on the MTB trails, so I'm happy.
                Last edited by nuggets; 06-11-2017, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Whoops, forgot the battery when I weighed it. 49.6 + 7 = 56.6lbs

Comment

Originally posted by nuggets View Post
                    I ordered a 2' x 4' kydex sheet to use to build the battery box...
                    I have made battery boxes out of ABS before, and I reinforced the joints with angle aluminum. Unfortunately, it did not hold up. The ABS was not strong enough; this might be my fault for running into so many things. In any case, I now make my battery boxes out of aluminum bar and angle aluminum.

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post

I have made battery boxes out of ABS before, and I reinforced the joints with angle aluminum. Unfortunately, it did not hold up. The ABS was not strong enough; this might be my fault for running into so many things. In any case, I now make my battery boxes out of aluminum bar and angle aluminum.
                      Thanks for the tip. I'm mainly planning to use the kydex for non structural covers. I've got plenty of aluminum for structure, but don't have any alloy sheet big enough for the side covers. The alloy sheet is costly in the larger sheets.

Comment

Rolling burnouts anyone?

Comment

• moarpower
                          moarpower commented
                          Editing a comment
                          That is pretty awesome. I want a bike that can do that!

Great job on the build. Looks like the long hours have really paid off.
                      Working...
                      X