Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spot Rocker, Gates belt drive, Rohloff Speedhub, BBSHD, 52v 17.5 AH.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spot Rocker, Gates belt drive, Rohloff Speedhub, BBSHD, 52v 17.5 AH.

I got a great deal for this bike on Ebay. The price was low because the frame was badly scratched, dented and had a slight crack on the bottom of the seat tube. However, I really wanted this bike because the frame accepted a belt drive and it already had a Rohloff IGH with the OEM Rohloff axle plate.and custom Spot dropouts made by Paragon for the OEM axle plate. I paid $1300.00 for the entire bike that also included a Thomson dropper post that I just sold on Craigslist for $250.00. It also had many other custom goodies included. The bike was originally built by The Monkey Lab in California for a man in Virginia in 2012.The original build story is here: http://cyclemonkeylab.blogspot.com.a...iven-spot.html
    I took the bike apart and had the frame reinforced (where it was cracked) the dent taken out, sand blasted and re powder coated. Spot sent me new decals at no charge.

Before electrification:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	_ART7216.jpg Views:	4 Size:	532.4 KB ID:	31176

After electrification:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	_ART7248.jpg Views:	1 Size:	571.8 KB ID:	31177

I knew beforehand that I would need to do some modifications because the belt drive requires the belt to be in perfect alignment ( + or - 1 mm if possible).

Here are the steps I took to accomplish that goal:

The rear cog on a Rohloff hub is 54.7 mm from the center-line of the frame.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1066.jpg Views:	1 Size:	453.7 KB ID:	31178

After inserting the motor into the bottom bracket I found that the gear housing on the BBSHD hit the chain stay so that the motor would not sit all the way into the bottom bracket So I needed to add spacers provided in the Luna kit. Thank you Luna!!
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1079.jpg Views:	1 Size:	444.9 KB ID:	31179
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1070.jpg Views:	1 Size:	480.3 KB ID:	31180

Because of the spacers and the thickness of the gear housing, the front sprocket sat way too far out for a perfect belt alignment with the rear cog. It was 67.53mm, so I needed to come in 12.83mm to achieve my goal of 54.7mm.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1071.jpg Views:	1 Size:	479.5 KB ID:	31181

But the back of the sprocket was already only 11.11mm away from the chain stay. Remember, I needed 12.83mm, what will I do?
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1072.jpg Views:	2 Size:	475.2 KB ID:	31183

I hated to, but the only thing I could do is add an extra dent into my chain stay. I had a hydraulic crimping tool I purchased from Harbor Freight a few years ago and it worked great to press a extra dent into my chain stay.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1076.jpg Views:	1 Size:	569.9 KB ID:	31184
    Goal accomplished.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1073.jpg Views:	1 Size:	488.5 KB ID:	31185

I had an adapter machined so that a 55 tooth Gates front sprocket could be attached to it. The machinist did a stellar job.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1102.jpg Views:	1 Size:	376.7 KB ID:	31186Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1101.jpg Views:	1 Size:	387.4 KB ID:	31187Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1092.jpg Views:	1 Size:	414.5 KB ID:	31188Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1090.jpg Views:	1 Size:	407.4 KB ID:	31189
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1093.jpg Views:	1 Size:	370.1 KB ID:	31190Click image for larger version  Name:	_ART7249.jpg Views:	1 Size:	556.3 KB ID:	31191

52v 17.5 ah battery pack installation.
    My bottle bracket mount was too low, so I drilled new holes into the battery bracket to line up with the existing mount, & installed riv nuts into my frame further above & below the existing mount.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1089.jpg Views:	1 Size:	724.5 KB ID:	31192Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1086.jpg Views:	1 Size:	537.2 KB ID:	31193Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1087.jpg Views:	1 Size:	580.8 KB ID:	31194Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1088.jpg Views:	1 Size:	646.3 KB ID:	31195 The battery pack feels very solid on the frame now.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Buckwheat; 03-25-2017, 04:36 PM.

I installed a Racktime Add-it rack. It works perfectly with my Racktime panniers. Racktime has what they call a "click-it" system where the panniers just slide onto the rack and click into place. They remove by just lifting up the green button and sliding the panniers back 1/2". They are very well made & convenient to use.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1124.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	670.5 KB
ID:	31197Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1123.jpg
Size:	498.5 KB
ID:	31198Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg
Size:	571.9 KB
ID:	31199Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1127.jpg
Size:	678.5 KB
ID:	31200

Name:	IMG_1128.jpg
Size:	602.2 KB
ID:	31201Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1129.jpg
Size:	482.4 KB
ID:	31202

I did not want to always lean my bike against something when I wasn't using it, so I installed a kickstand.

Name:	IMG_1132.jpg
Size:	628.1 KB
ID:	31203Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1134.jpg
Size:	755.6 KB
ID:	31204

The last thing I would like to do is have the sprocket adapter anodized black.
    I also want to program the motor different so that it feels more like riding a bike rather than a moped. It feels like the motor just switches to on (full bore) when I pedal. I would like it to be a more gradual ramp up like a variable speed drill. I do have the programming cable and have played around with the programming a little bit, but I don't know what to do to change to make it behave like I want. Any suggestions?

Comment

• oledave
      oledave commented
      Editing a comment
      For programing set start current to 1 and slow start mode to 3 for pedal assit, and start current to1 for throttle handle.

Thanks for the suggestion oledave, I will have to try those settings.
    I had start current at 10 and slow start mode at 6 for pedal assist. I had start current at 10 for the throttle.

Comment

Very nice! Great motor clearance also. I rode my Rohloff equipped BBSHD Montague folder 13 miles the other day, 18 mph average speed, all pavement, on the MINI battery. My voltage was at 52+ upon reaching my destination! As I can easily carry my other 2 11.5 AH batteries also, (one on the rear rack, one frame hung) my range is ....adequate, to say the least! Plus, thanks to the gear spread, it's also a rock crawler/stump puller. Good work on snapping that EBAY find up.

Comment

Thanks CPG,

Yes the gear range on the Rohloff hub is truly amazing, and it is built like a tank.
        This last weekend I played around with programming the pedal assist (almost all day Sunday) and I am really happy with how the motor responds now. It almost feels like it has a torque sensor in it which is exactly the way I want the motor to respond when pedaling.
        My wife & I have owned "off the shelf" torque sensing, under powered e-bikes for a couple of years, and I have always liked the torque sensing aspect of the bikes.
        If anyone would be interested I would be happy to publish my settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckwheat View Post
          Thanks CPG,

Yes the gear range on the Rohloff hub is truly amazing, and it is built like a tank.
          This last weekend I played around with programming the pedal assist (almost all day Sunday) and I am really happy with how the motor responds now. It almost feels like it has a torque sensor in it which is exactly the way I want the motor to respond when pedaling.
          My wife & I have owned "off the shelf" torque sensing, under powered e-bikes for a couple of years, and I have always liked the torque sensing aspect of the bikes.
          If anyone would be interested I would be happy to publish my settings.
          Great work! I'd be quite interested in having a look at your settings.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred View Post
            Great work! I'd be quite interested in having a look at your settings.
            Thank you Fred,

Settings for The basic tab:

Name:	Capture-2.JPG
Size:	147.0 KB
ID:	31578

After I installed my motor I programmed it according to Karl Gesslein's article "A hacker's guide to programming the BBSO2 & BBSHD". I took my bike out for a ride and I was disappointed because when I began to pedal it was like I flipped on a switch, and the bike would just take off. I knew that the problem was in the programming so I spent a better part of a day changing settings,and by trial & error I got the motor to react the way I want, kind of like it had a torque sensor in it. I will try to explain how these settings worked for me.

As you know, a torque sensor works by being sensitive to the pressure we put on the pedals. The more pressure we put on them, the faster the motor will go up to the point of the current set by the assist level we are in and the speed of the motor set at that particular assist level.

In order to have the same sensation, I needed to adjust the current and speed limit of the 5 assist levels I am using (levels 1,3,5,7,&9) so that I can always feel the pressure I am putting on the pedals (unless going downhill or coasting) for the speed limit I want to go. I have set my display to 5 assist levels, and the maximum speed to 60 Km/h which is about 39 Mph. I did hit 40 Mph by the way, It was a little faster than I want to go. Of course all of these settings work hand in hand with the gear we choose to be in. I have 14 choices with the Rohloff hub.

I am sure these are not optimal settings yet, but they are very close.

Pedal Assist Tab:

Name:	Capture-3.JPG
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	31579
            The important settings here is,
            start current: I tried different settings here, but I found that this was the best setting to get the bike going initially.
            slow start mode: This controls how quickly the start current is reached. When I set this lower, it felt like the bike jumped out too quickly.
            Crank trigger pulses: This sets how many pulses from the pedal sensor are needed before the motor starts.A full pedal revolution generates 24 pulses. This is a little bit like the pressure needed on a pedal that has a torque sensor installed, a larger number would represent more pressure required.
            Current Decay: This sets how fast the current drops after you reach the maximum speed set by the assist level. A lower value means the current will start to drop at a lower speed.

All the above settings are important to make sure a little pedal pressure is always felt.

Throttle assist tab:

Name:	Capture-1.JPG
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	31580

I really like using the pedal assist best. I have only used the throttle a couple of times.

If you try this please let me know how you like it and if you would like to make any changes and why.
            I know that the gearing would make a big difference on different bikes.

Comment

• Hello Buckwheat. Tell me please, where can i to get the adapter? I need to make a similar adapter for BBSHD. I have Bullitt LvsH. I want to install Alfine Di2 with a belt. Belt line 40 mm. Front sprocket 55 "

Comment

Originally posted by Depp View Post
                • Hello Buckwheat. Tell me please, where can i to get the adapter? I need to make a similar adapter for BBSHD. I have Bullitt LvsH. I want to install Alfine Di2 with a belt. Belt line 40 mm. Front sprocket 55 "
                Hello Depp, I had the adapter custom machined for my specific needs. It sounds like you may need a deeper offset depending on how far out from the frame center-line your front sprocket sits after your motor is installed into your bottom bracket. 40mm sounds very close to the frame center to me. My rear cog was 54.7mm from the frame center line.

The machinist I went to is in Colorado. It would be best for you to find a machinist in your area to make one for you. Be sure to make careful measurements and take him a lot of pictures (you can use my pictures) so he will understand exactly what you need. Good luck, I hope this helps.

Comment

I can give you the name & address of my machinist if you would want to go out of your area.

Comment

It looks like the center of the Gates sprocket was machined out and bolt holes were drilled and tapped. Is that accurate?

Very beautiful build. I'm planning something very similar with a SomaFab Juice frame

Comment

Just found your build. Wonderful! Great to see someone squeeze a BBSHD belt drive onto a frame pretty cleanly. Nice to know the Rohloff has such a large 54.7mm chain line too. I didn't know it was that far out there. That's larger than most other IGH chain line numbers. Nice job.

PS: For those using BBS02's a 54-55mm belt line is achievable with a simple bolt-on spider and Gates belt ring up front! (no custom spider needed)
                      Last edited by Rider; 05-19-2017, 08:04 AM. Reason: Added "PS" for BBS02 users
                      2018 Surly ECR 5spd IGH 29+: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...id-drive-build
                      2013 Niner Jet 9: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...lectric-assist
                      2016 Soma B-Side Belt Drive 3spd IGH: https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...v-custom-build

Comment

Originally posted by wiGGles View Post
                        It looks like the center of the Gates sprocket was machined out and bolt holes were drilled and tapped. Is that accurate?

Very beautiful build. I'm planning something very similar with a SomaFab Juice frame
                        Thanks wiGGles, yes you are right. the 55 tooth gates sprocket was machined out in the center, and holes were drilled and tapped for the bolts.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider View Post
                          Just found your build. Wonderful! Great to see someone squeeze a BBSHD belt drive onto a frame pretty cleanly. Nice to know the Rohloff has such a large 54.7mm chain line too. I didn't know it was that far out there. That's larger than most other IGH chain line numbers. Nice job.

PS: For those using BBS02's a 54-55mm belt line is achievable with a simple bolt-on spider and Gates belt ring up front! (no custom spider needed)
                          Thanks for your kind words Rider, You have a very nice build yourself.
                          Yes, when I started my build I was hoping the belt line would have been closer to my rear cog, but the wide chain stay wouldn't let the motor sit close enough without adding spacers. Other than the added cost of having the adapter made, I am real happy with it. I have since had the adapter anodized black.

Comment

• Rider
                            Rider commented
                            Editing a comment
                            New pic! That machined spider is a work of art in my book.

Nice build Buckwheat. I tried this exact build except I was going to go with a NuVinci. Gave up and went cheap figuring I would find the solution some day. Well that was a long time ago. So glad you nailed it. How much did the machining cost? Its beautiful. Maybe post the shop where you had it machined. I might buy one to throw in my bottom drawer until I can get the motivation.

Comment

Working...
                          X