Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New build

C my intro

I like how you mounted your battery. Some details on that would be nice. Much more importantly to me at least, would be information on your springer front fork. It certainly looks great but where did you get it and how does it perform. I have been thinking of one for a year but my money has been going in other directions.

Comment

I have been staring at your photos and realized you have a fat tired Electra. Well done! I think you have the Sondors fenders from Luna. Some details on how they were mounted would be great because I haven't mounted mine yet. In all of my web searching I have not found a fat tired springer. Again I would appreciate more info on that springer. That Topeak rack is the exact one I plan on getting.

LOL you are really beating me to the punch. Good work!

Comment

Calfee, I thought I was going to break the brand new topeak spreading those supports but I got it on. Test ride and now rear brake rubbing...uh oh! I did, I bent the left,non drive side of the frame flange outwards by screwing inwards. Panic! Layer her down on 2x4 and stood on it, then bounced a little, then a LITTLE more and done, whew!

Comment

Found the pics.

Comment

Comment

Excellent work Andy. Good job on the modifications you made. I like how that fork raises the handlebars up. And the fenders look good.

Did you add a shift sensor and brake sensors? Put a seat-post shock like the Suntour NCX or Thudbuster and you'd have a pretty cushy there with that front fork

Comment

• Andy
                Andy commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks g725s no shift sensor yes built-in Luna brake sensors. I also have a batman but having second thoughts about installing it.

Originally posted by Andy View Post
              Calfee, I thought I was going to break the brand new topeak spreading those supports but I got it on. Test ride and now rear brake rubbing...uh oh! I did, I bent the left,non drive side of the frame flange outwards by screwing inwards. Panic! Layer her down on 2x4 and stood on it, then bounced a little, then a LITTLE more and done, whew!
              Topeak makes a rack just for fat bikes so it is wider. I have never seen one in a bike shop so I will have to order one some time. http://www.topeak.com/global/en/prod...er-tourist-fat
              Check out the video on that page.

Comment

• calfee20
                calfee20 commented
                Editing a comment
                I have cut that bracket off of my last two racks and it was in the way of my fenders.

• g725s
                g725s commented
                Editing a comment
                Are you planning on this exact rack for your Electra Lux Fat 7D? I still need to get a back rack.

• calfee20
                calfee20 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes I am. I like the idea of the slide on bag and they also have a slide on basket. Walmart is selling them for $60 and free shipping. I still have to check around some more though.

I'd seen it too but found it unattractive

Comment

I liked the Iberia fat rack but thought it would sit too far rearward.

Comment

• calfee20
                  calfee20 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I was thinking that you could drill a couple of holes on your flat rear dropout plates a few inches to the front. You would have to be careful though because you wouldn't want your seat to interfere with one of the slide on trunk bags.

I thought your ultra stealthy battery/rack looked great and teeter ed in that direction for a spell.

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
                  I thought your ultra stealthy battery/rack looked great and teeter ed in that direction for a spell.
                  That rack came from evelo ebikes and it is made to enclose the slimline battery which Luna doesn't carry anymore. That rack is on my 2015 Electra coaster 7 that I got used for $250 from a bike rental place on Cape Cod. It is going to stay on that bike.

I am working on my Electra Fat now and will probably put that Fat Rack on it and get a Topeak trunk bag to go with it. A couple of weeks ago I decided not to transfer the BBSHD from my regular cruiser to my fat cruiser. I will buy another complete kit for the fat bike. My regular cruiser is just running to nice to take it apart and I don't want to be without an ebike for even a day. So that is delaying the fat bike build by maybe a month.

Oh BTW nice job on that tube compressor you made. No special tools needed

Comment

• g725s
                    g725s commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Have you taken apart the BBSHD on your 2015 Electra coaster 7 and checked the grease yet?

• calfee20
                    calfee20 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    No and it won't happen until a second bike is running. I have watched a few videos of the process and I am horrified at what people do. Everyone over greases them. After getting burned out working on cars I worked a few years in tool repair and tool rental. I learned a lot working on drills, grinders, and table saws etc.. They all had gearboxes that used certain types of grease and specific amounts of grease.

I would like to put together some sort of a tutorial on this along with a few tricks on bearing testing. A video would be nice but I really can't imagine that....Oh Well

Great question, great response. I never thought of the details involved.

Comment

I just read your ebike status Calfee, glad your current ride is purring away and keeping you happy.

Comment

Working...
                    X