Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ezriderax
    replied
    Hi..do still have the linkage for sale...i would like to buy it...

Leave a comment:

• Cezar
    replied
    [QUOTE] Spend a lot of time picking bugs out of my teeth because I can't stop grinning!!!!
    [QUOTE]

It is honestly true that you can recognize a lucky cyclist by a large number of flies on his teeth ...

Leave a comment:

• Retrorockit
    replied
    The title is confusing. BBSHD is a mid drive kit, and you have a front hub motor. Nothing wrong with that, but not the same thing. I'm guessing you have a Bafang hub motor?

Leave a comment:

• Jody H
    replied
    I converted my 2009 EZ-3 USX HD to an electric bike using an ebikekit this last year. I will not go into the details at this time. I have ridden over 225 miles so far.
    Three comments;
    1. I cannot pedal anymore because of bad knees, and have to use a recumbent because of major balance issues.
    To address the pedal issue I disconnected all the chain from all the sprockets by using zip ties to secure it. I then removed one pedal and aligned it with the opposite pedal so I have free-swinging foot rests using the pedals. I found that my knees were hurting if using the pedals opposite each other.
    2. Transport and storage can be a problem with a heavy and long trike like the Sun EZ-3 USX HD.
    For storage in the garage it can be tilted vertical so the back rest and rear wheels are sitting on the ground.
    For transport I purchased a metal folding cargo carrier that is attached to my trailer hitch receptacle. Because the carrier is only 29" wide the trike will not fit within the frame. That means I roll it on with ramps and have it sideways. There are other alternatives I have not done yet.
    I am attaching pictures of the storage position and the transport position. The transport includes our Pedego trike too. Last fall we transported them over 600 miles on a trip to Pismo Beach.
    3. I am using it as an Other Power -Driven Mobility Device (OPDMD) under the ADA. That gives me many more places to use it, including where many bikes could not be used. I added my Disability Placard too, just as extra insurance. It is not required.

Leave a comment:

• 3wheeler
    replied
    ComicDom1 I did not consider a hub drive as I wanted something with a lot more grunt. The mid- drive gives more toque at lower speeds and is far less prone to over heating issues in sustained use applications. The BBSHD is pretty bullet-proof for the average user. a few mods make if a KILLER mid-drive (change out nylon drive gear, add the Luna Cycle Ludicrous controller) for the super user.

The USX-HD CAN be folded with a few tools, but I don't recommend doing this. You will constantly be messing with the steering linkage and suspension mount. Not sure what the manufacturer recommends.

Thanks for reading the post!

3wheeler!!

Leave a comment:

• 3wheeler
    replied
    Sorry Guys, I have been away for a while but found the messages today!

The USX-HD is a great trike! Tough as nails and easy to work on! I put over 6000 miles on mine!!

I agree with Hawk521, Luna Cycle has the BBSHD kits at good prices. Good quality Batteries too!! Your 48V batteries should work well enough. The 52V batteries have more PUNCH without damaging the motor or components.

I recommend using the Eggrider V2 display. It gives you complete control over the BBSHD programming through a BT connection to your smartphone. No computer needed, no programming cable, no FLAKY software... The app is easy to use and can be programmed on the fly!! www.eggrider.com

I tried to used the original USS linkage as a first option. Getting it to clear the motor AND pedals is the challenge. I found it easier to make a new one with 1/2" EMT and a couple 1" AllThread nuts for spacers. I had to "tweak" the mounting tabs at both ends to get the angle the let the heim joints operate smoothly.

There is plenty of clearance for the BBSHD to fit under the Bottom Bracket.

I was able to use a 130 BCD adapter and two of the original three chain rings (42/52) for the front, with a modified derailleur, to retain a high and low range. A front derailleur for a fat-tire bike (or derailleur mount) should get you close enough also.

I have since sold that trike without all the BBSHD mods. I have the steering linkage and 130 BCD mount (I think...) I may be persuaded to sell them if you are really interested... Contact me.

I found that I have the steering linkage, 130 BCD BBSHD adapter, modified front derailleur, accessory mount bar (see picture of display mount above) as well as the super-duty mounting clamps for the accessory bar. All the custom fabled parts to add the BBSHD.
    Last edited by 3wheeler; 05-06-2020, 05:33 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Hawk521
    replied
    Ordered my BBSHD via Luna Cycles. Opted for the non-street legal version (whatever that means). My battery is a relic from a prior (7 years ago) abandoned project - hopeful it will still hold a charge. Its a huge LifiPO4 battery (12.5 x 9.5 x 6 inches) and weighs probably 25 lbs. Rated at 48V, 30A, 1500W - it should be sufficient. If not I'll be shopping for a battery soon.

I _think_ I can make the original under seat steering linkage work by mounting it on the bottom side of the front and back brackets, and probably adding a 1" stand-off on the bottom side of the front bracket. Measures close to 5" clearance to the frame - but I'll learn more as I get into it. The motor spec shows the clearance needed at just under 5 inches.

I'm not planning (at this point) to incorporate a front derailleur just to keep things simple. But who knows? Maybe phase 2 of the project? lol

Oh - today I even ordered a "USB programming cable" for the Bafang. As a programmer I figure it never hurts to be able to tinker with the innards of things. Oh and I ordered a nice set of wiring connectors for the battery.

Just sitting around now waiting for bits and pieces to show up so I can get on with it. If nothing else, I will try this weekend to get the battery mounted (behind the seat), and re-work what is necessary for the seat back support.

I'll do pics of things and post as I get underway.

Leave a comment:

• rdicus7
    replied
    Keep me posted on your progress and I will keep you posted on my progress. Good luck.

Leave a comment:

• Hawk521
    replied
    Wow. What a timely find. I happen to own a Sun EZ-3 Trike essentially identical to the one in this thread. With this coronavirus shelter at home stuff I have time on my hands to do something. I was actually thinking about acquiring an electric bike when I stumbled on this forum and this topic. Must be fate! I'm not as active as I used to be BUT I am highly motivated by the potential conversion of my EZ-3 Trike to electric power. My wife is going to wonder what I'm doing in the basement. I'll surprise her with a result (I hope)... Right now I am searching for a good source for the BBSHD motor kit. And think I've narrowed the options to the 46T sprocket and a 500C display panel. As it happens I have a rather large 48V Lithium-Poly battery pack from a former project I abandoned a couple of years ago. I think I can adapt that battery pack to this motor. Its about 20lbs of battery - not sure what its capacity rating was.

If the original poster is still here, maybe he could advise on one thought I had regarding the USS linkage. If I flip it over, - putting the bent portion upside and add roughly 2" stand-offs at each connection point - will that be reasonably close to a working solution? Worst case I'll fabricate something for this - just hoping for a simpler solution.

I REALLY, REALLY appreciate the clear thread detailing the build of your Trike. Owning an identical model trike this gives me inspiration that it is indeed possible. And if I can score a deal on a BBSHD soon I'll be on my way to a very similar solution.

Now off to my bank account to make sure I can finance this little indulgence! lol

Leave a comment:

• ComicDom1
    replied
    Jon I think that is how you are supposed to fold it. You have to pull a bolt and the USS linkage. Its easy to snap some of those M10's. You have to be careful because some of them only like to break loose from one side. If you google the Bicycleman , Peter has the manuals up on his site for the Sun USX if you need to look something up.

Jason
    Last edited by ComicDom1; 10-03-2017, 01:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BigJon
    commented on 's reply
    Front hub or mid drive wouldnt eliminate the folding along the shock you just need to pull a bolt from the shock and remove steering linkage. Honestly My build is better for folding (I put an adjustable neck on the handlebars for that purpose ( tuning that bar every time is annoying. I did it when I bought the bike a snapped one of the M10 threaded peices on mine)

• ComicDom1
    replied
    Nice Write up. I purchased a USX that was hanging in guys barn and had hardly been ridden for $400.00 this year. It actually looks brand new. I bought it for a lady friend who is on a fixed income and wanted it for exercise. She is supposed to pay me for it but has not done it yet and its been a few months. 3 Wheeler you did a good job with this three wheel conversion. Did you ever consider using a front hub so you could still fold the Trike? I wonder if using a front hub would be as expensive to do as the Mid Drive?

Jason

Leave a comment:

• 3wheeler
    replied
    I have gone on a 67 mile ride (less than 500' of total elevation), with no issues. I probably had about 10 miles left in the battery. I have had to adjust my pedaling cadence to improve the battery usage. I spin the pedals a little faster (about 1 gear lower) to keep the power usage right around 300 watts. This seems to be the magic number for me. I get a pretty good range and do not have to worry about running out of battery. I am able to cruise along about 18 mph and enjoy the ride!

Leave a comment:

• BigJon
    replied
    Hows the range on it? Given her a long ride yet?

Leave a comment:

• 3wheeler
    replied
    Updated 9/15/17:

I added a 130 BCD adapter to the BBSHD so I could mount 2 chain rings up front (42/52) In doing this, I found the derailleur was not reaching to the outside ring. I measured the distance it was short and machined a spacer to add in behind the derailleur cage. I cut the cage free and welded the spacer in. (TIG welding is a wonderful thing!!!) With the new spacer added, the derailleur could easily reach the outside ring. I mounted the derailleur back to the bike and made a few adjustments and it worked like a champ! (see the video).

By adding the 52T ring, I was able to increase my top speed by about 4 mph, I can cruise along comfortably at 18 mph without pedaling wildly.

I have seen that I consume battery at an increased rate of about 20%. (Wattage has increased about 20-25% at each PAS level.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	dual rings.jpg Views:	3 Size:	1.71 MB ID:	45261Click image for larger version  Name:	deraileur mod.jpg Views:	6 Size:	221.1 KB ID:	45263
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 3wheeler; 09-15-2017, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X