Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	876.7 KB
ID:	49274Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	409.2 KB
ID:	49294 Just finished this. Uses a rear hub motor running on 48v. The aluminum frame was originally made for a gas bike. I left it natural aluminum and fabricated a matching box for the battery and controller. It handles great! I also added a headlight to complete the Cafe Racer look.
    Thanks for checking out out!
    Robert
    Last edited by Robert62; 11-13-2017, 06:08 AM.

Added a custom mirror:

Lets call it done for now....

Robert

Comment

• commuter ebikes
      commuter ebikes commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a really nice mirror. Adding mirrors to my ebike was one of my most useful upgrades.

Thank you! So far very functional. The handlebar clamp is machined form billet an the arm is SS.
    Robert

Comment

Looking great! What lamp is this? What voltage and power?

Comment

The head lamp is hand fabricated. I cast the housing and used a reflector from a motorcycle lamp. It has a self contained battery that should last 50 hours with the LED bulb.

Thank for your interest.

Robert

Comment

Looks amazing! how many watt on the engine, what's the total weight?

Comment

Holy cow! I just saw this - it's freaking beautiful!!

I cast the housing, he says casually. Wow.

Tell us more, please! Did you strip down stock forks for that look? How about the tank/top tube, is that structural? Anything in there?

If you build bikes like that, I bet you have some other neat creations. Feel free to share those with us, too, in the General Discussions forum.

It's great to see a craftsman show up here and share, thanks so much. I hope you stick around and help to inspire us with your creations.
            Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Wow, thanks for your encouragement!
              I cannot take credit for the frame. It is a frame for a gas bike out of China that I found on eBay. The top tube is intended as a fuel tank for the motor. As soon as I saw it I knew it had to become electric! The fork came off Craigslist for $20 and I stripped it to make the forks match the frame. I did fabricate the box that holds the motor and controller from 1/4" aluminum as well as the headlight, the mirror, and the rack. I also made a custom bottom bracket that uses standard ball bearings with a 3 piece crank. The remaining parts are adapted from various donor bikes.

The headlight started life as a car wheel that got melted and cast:

I guess I really should start a build thread for my fat tire bike with the Harley wheel....

Robert
              Last edited by Robert62; 11-26-2017, 03:22 PM.

Comment

• JPLabs
                JPLabs commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes, you probably should share that one, too!

Intriguing, for sure.

Thanks for the details and photo.

OK, here's my. Swimming pool smelter...
              Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Nice work!
                I like fire...a lot...
                Robert

Comment

• JPLabs
                  JPLabs commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's kind of you. The part had a large sink, but it worked. I guess I had too much part, not enough sprue, or something. Was fun and satisfying in any case. Did it once, to do it, but haven't managed to make it a regular part of my repertoire.

Was the first try? Your casting shows some finesse and a nice complete fill, beautiful finish, fine features. It looks professional.

You can tell a craftsman by his tools. The ones he makes, especially. Your workspace betrays your humility. It has just the right features, presumably grown from experience. Those 'tongs' speak volumes. The sand and spill dam on the floor do, too. I bet you even still have all your toes!

Cool.
                  Last edited by JPLabs; 11-28-2017, 05:51 PM. Reason: Added coments.

Yes it was. Cereal bowl for a pattern. If you are serious about casting metal come on over here:
                http://forums.thehomefoundry.org/index.php

Robert

Comment

Nice work there robert, casting metal has been on my list of things to learn and do, well done buddy, not meaning to hijack your post but in case you missed my build post, here is the link to my board track racer. Im sure you will get a kick out of it...
                  https://electricbike.com/forum/forum...bike-500w-8fun

Comment

Working...
                  X