Luna Cargo Frame with ?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luna Cargo Frame with ?????

Well I suppose I should start a thread. This is going to take a while. I have lots of ideas.....maybe to many.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2017_11_21_13_35_57_ProShot 1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	150.3 KB ID:	51246

Ok it is unpacked and I took a moment to look at it. I need to set up the front fork and put proper tension on the headset bearings. Everything is loose and the steering tube is resting against the fender. I have a 5# Snap-On slide hammer that will work for this instead of a fancy Park tool. Use what you got.

So I pulled the front rack and fender, tightened loose bolts and put a tire on that rim.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2017_11_22_16_12_00_ProShot.jpg Views:	1 Size:	133.5 KB ID:	51247

The riding position is hideous. The seat post is nearly vertical. I have to remind myself that this was done to gain all of that room between the battery box and the rear tire. This bike was a test bed for all kinds of ebike ideas. So the seat is to close to the handlebars. When you get off the seat you are straddling the frame at nearly its highest point. Good thing I have a 35" inseam......I could have hurt myself.

Karl Gesslein from electricbike-blog mentions this problem here. http://electricbike-blog.com/2016/11...y-cargo-frame/ So he used a bent BMX style seat post.

To give you an idea the seat post is about 22" from the steering tube. My Fat Electra is 27" plus another 2 for the body float. That is more than half a foot. I'll have to do something about that. I will have to put the Electra side by side with this and compare the two bikes.

Hhhmmm I think I have a Bmx in the barn with a bent seat post..........calfee
    Last edited by calfee20; 11-22-2017, 11:23 PM.

Get the Bafang that is molded into the frame and redo this frame to hold that motor. You know, The one with the torque sensor.

http://www.bafang-e.com/en/drive-sys...ax-fortis.html

Looks like they sell the bracket that holds the motor. Of course you'd have to cut the frame and weld the bracket in, or have someone do it for you.

Luna is now selling bikes with them. Maybe they would sell you one with a bracket ;-)
    Last edited by g725s; 11-23-2017, 12:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by g725s View Post
      Get the Bafang that is molded into the frame and redo this frame to hold that motor. You know, The one with the torque sensor.

http://www.bafang-e.com/en/drive-sys...ax-fortis.html

Looks like they sell the bracket that holds the motor. Of course you'd have to cut the frame and weld the bracket in, or have someone do it for you.

Luna is now selling bikes with them. Maybe they would sell you one with a bracket ;-)
      I have actually been thinking of that. I imagine they can operate in any position like a BBSHD. Maybe upside-down in that space behind the seat post.
      http://lunacycle.com/bafang-ultra-mo...ike-mid-drive/

Comment

• g725s
        g725s commented
        Editing a comment
        This way you could position the BB further forward and possibly not have to worry so much about the seat post.

• calfee20
        calfee20 commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't think I want to cut and weld the frame.

A thudbuster adds a pretty nice rear offset to the seat, especially if you use soft rubber so the pre-load leaves it about 1/2 compressed. May give almost the same offset, with some added function, IF you can tolerate the final height.

With your seat in the first pic or that style, if you could mount from the very front, and add rear supports, you could do something like this:

Depending on your cargo needs, you could ditch the seat post altogether, and put a bench seat on that thing for real comfort and riding position flexibility!

Or even just a bike Banana seat, cantilevered rearward and also supported on the rack, leaving some room for cargo on the rack at the same time. Mounts from the front to the post, might almost fit as-is.

Spitballin', ya' know...
      Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

I put my two fat bikes side by side to see how they compared. If I put the rear wheel in the middle of the horizontal dropout of the cargo frame the two bikes have the same wheelbase.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017_11_24_15_08_03_ProShot.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	51447

This photo will give you an idea of the vast difference in the seat position.

Name:	2017_11_24_15_09_18_ProShot.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	122.1 KB
ID:	51448

This photo shows how the Cargo steering tube is forward of the Electra but due to the steeper angle of the Cargo tube the front axles line up.

Name:	2017_11_24_15_09_51_ProShot.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	158.4 KB
ID:	51449

The Luna Cargo should be a more nimble bike than the Electra. I am going to power it up with something just to feel how it is going down the road before I decide what to do. I have moved it to the shed and won't be looking at it until next year so this will be the last post on this for quite a while.............calfee

Comment

• commuter ebikes
          commuter ebikes commented
          Editing a comment
          I had a lot of good times on those front wheels. Looks like they found a good home.

Following!
        R

Comment

Looks like this guy made his own seat post:

Name:	cargo seat.PNG
Views:	273
Size:	735.6 KB
ID:	53673

Comment

• MoneyPit
            MoneyPit commented
            Editing a comment
            I know I have seen them manufactured like that somewhere by a cruiser bike company.

I wonder if you could bring your hands forward by using a long, no rise stem in conjunction with riser handlebars rotated as far forward as is comfortable. This would give you a nice aero profile.

Name:	phinney_bmc_gf01_10_670.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	53675

Name:	handlebars.PNG
Views:	264
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	53676

Comment

I had this problem on two of my bikes and I chose a long stem and riser handlebars rotated forward as much as possible. It forces me to assume an advantageous aero profile. Aero is good!

Click image for larger version  Name:	23d1d8649778fa55cc7b6e945fd71ec0.jpg Views:	1 Size:	426.4 KB ID:	53678

Click image for larger version  Name:	23d1d8649778fa55cc7b6e945fd71ec0.jpg Views:	1 Size:	21.0 KB ID:	53679
            Last edited by commuter ebikes; 12-21-2017, 03:46 AM.

Comment

The handlebars pictured above only have a 3/4" rise, and the stem is 80mm long with a 30 degree angle. You can imagine how much you could bring your hands forward with the stem and handlebar pictured in Post #8, if you are okay with the aero profile.

Comment

Originally posted by commuter ebikes View Post
                I wonder if you could bring your hands forward by using a long, no rise stem in conjunction with riser handlebars rotated as far forward as is comfortable. This would give you a nice aero profile.

Name:	phinney_bmc_gf01_10_670.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	53675

Name:	handlebars.PNG
Views:	264
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	53676
                I want to maintain the pedal forward geometry that I get from my Electra so I don't see myself doing that with the handlebars. I need to step off of the seat and be straddling the lowest part of the frame.
                That frame besides being tall is very wide on top so even though I have long legs I need to move the seat back.

Comment

Who is the actual builder of that frame?

Comment

Originally posted by g725s View Post
                    Who is the actual builder of that frame?
                    It is a brain child of Eric over at Luna and he would be the one to answer that question. However there is a link with 70+ photos with captions that tell the story quite well. http://chessmonster.smugmug.com/Othe...cles/i-Bw4b8QS

Comment

Originally posted by calfee20 View Post

It is a brain child of Eric over at Luna and he would be the one to answer that question. However there is a link with 70+ photos with captions that tell the story quite well. http://chessmonster.smugmug.com/Othe...cles/i-Bw4b8QS
                      Thanks, Tom. I enjoyed that slide show.

Comment

Wow! That does look like a bad seating position. I like riding upright, but that seems bizarre.
                        Last edited by Poco Askew; 12-22-2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

• calfee20
                          calfee20 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Actually before I change anything I am going to see if I can fix the problem by changing my mount and dismount mechanics. I think I can move the seat about 3" with my body float. Sitting on the bike wasn't bad it was just when I dismounted forward it was like I was stepping into the handlebars. Even though I like the look of those mustache bars they are quite wide and sweep back quite a bit so they may have to go.

When I stepped off the bike the first time the Brooks saddle was poking me in the lower back I was straddling the middle of the frame on tip toes and I was caged in by the handlebars. It was quite bizarre.
                      Working...
                      X