Here is my Felt Cafe

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is my Felt Cafe

Well, thisi is my build. It started with a stock Felt Cafe Cruiser, that I bought from a friend. One just like this: http://up.picr.de/9945818eig.jpg
    I knew nothing about fat bikes, having only ridden dirt-cheap MTBs before. I had trouble finding shops willing to help me in the area where I live, all I always heard was "Oh, that is impossible, can't be done". I still have to thank and aknowledge the two shops that were able and willing to help - one got me a bargain fork, other did my wheels and brakes.

The bike has the following parts installed:
    Front hub with disk brake
    Rear hub 3-Speed Nexus Heavy Duty with freewheel and roller brake
    Crank 52 teeth and sprocket 16 teeth
    E-drive Bafang 8-Fun BBS-01B, 250W, 36V
    Seat Primus found at a garage sale.

The fenders and the lights must be mounted, as well as the chainguard.

Wow, to me that bike just oozes fifties (in a good way), do you smoke by chance?

Click image for larger version  Name:	728254449b1dafe8014e5d5af4b2a8fa--greaser-hair-greaser-costume.jpg Views:	1 Size:	20.5 KB ID:	51501

2nd build, 2018 Crust Scapegoat, BBS02 or BBSHD, Rohloff IGH
    3rd build, 2018 Crust Evasion step-thru, BBS02, Shimano Nexus INTER-3 IGH
    4th build, 2016 Salsa Marrakesh flatbar frameset, BBSHD, Alfine 8 IGH

Visit the forum knowledge base

Comment

"Seat Primus found at a garage sale."

Can you tell me more about the seat. I need something that mounts like this for my Luna Cargo frame.

Comment

• g725s
        g725s commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, that seat would good for that frame if it really could be supported by the front only. A quick search of "Primus bicycle seat" brings up a lot of eBay hits. Vintage.

But blow up that picture of his. It looks like he has another support mid seat. Possibly custom.

That's a cool bike. If I had the room I'd do one like this for cruising into town.

Comment

That bike gets a big thumbs up, too cool for school and seeing as it's a Felt I'm guessing it's real good quality.

Comment

• Zippy
          Zippy commented
          Editing a comment
          What's the fork you put on it?

Love that pic, reminds me of young Eastwood and if this is what my bike makes you think of, well, thank You, I feel acknowledged. Quit smoking half a year ago, just not worth the money, killing oneself.

The seat is I guess from Holland, but practically the same as this http://velofun.ru/test-review-compar...le-bicycle.jpg
        Brooks B135. The springs make for a very comfortable ride, so even if one must buy new it is still worth every penny. It is mounted to a seat post at the front and to a piece of seat tube and a stem in the rear. I didn't have much confidence that a single bolt could support my 200 pounds on a hardtail bike.
        The fork is a Rock Shox XC32 26", it has part of the original fork cut off and mounted on the steer tube as a spacer and it mostly is there to create the illusion that this was a double crown fork (that I considered too expensive a buy).

Comment

• calfee20
          calfee20 commented
          Editing a comment
          Oh very interesting now I can see what you did from the photo. Excellent work!

• Zippy
          Zippy commented
          Editing a comment
          Very crafty, I knew there was something unique about the fork.

That's a nice vibe you have achieved there!
        Robert

Comment

I got this lamp cheap and thought it would be perfect for my bike. I understand from the markings it is for a 6V 15W lightbulb. I think it uses the P26S socket. From my research I found out that it should work with a dynamo, if not how do I power it? Can anyone tell me how do I connect it and what type of lightbulb it takes?
          Attached Files
          Last edited by toro1978; 12-29-2017, 03:51 AM.

Comment

You have a couple of options. You could find a dynamo and set it up like the original. They are on eBay. You could use a voltage converter off the battery pack and find an LED bulb of your liking. You would have to modify the bulb mount internally.
            For my light, I took the LED from a Mini Maglight and ran it from 2 AA cells which were small enough to fit inside the housing. No external wiring that way. Batteries should last 57 hours which is plenty since I rarely ride at night.
            https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4373/...258332b8_h.jpg
            Robert
            Last edited by Robert62; 12-29-2017, 06:04 AM.

Comment

I really don't want to have to replace batteries or having to charge them, because that would mean switching the unit on and off everytime. I had AA or AAA powered lamps and it is a pain in the a** having to switch them on and off every time. It almost feels like starting those trucks in Mad Max Fury Road where one had to pull some levers and stuff to make them run. So this is a no, definitely.
              Using a dynamo that is in on position all the time would one option for me, however I would prefer to use the original socket with the 15W bulb and don't know if a 6V 3W bicycle dynamo could deliver enough power - would it even work, anyone? Or will it produce a light way too weak? This would be the lazy way to do it, provided it works.
              I would suppose the best sollution would be to connect it to the battery that I have to use anyway and that I remove anyway after a ride, which would give me enough electricity so I could have the lamps always on, provided the battery is also on, one switch for everything would be great. Has anyone already done that? How would I have to connect that, from what I have read I guess I wold need something along the line to make the currency from 36V to 6V? I really don't know much about eletrics, a simple task as connecting the battery was of course a no brainer, for that I will need however detailed instructions.

Comment

I would suggest a replacement bulb (LED if possible) that can run at the voltage of your battery. There are lots out there on eBay, etc with several different base types. You will also want a switch. Be aware if you use LED, the polarity matters so if it doesn't work 1st time, swap the wires.

The other option of course if you're not in love with that particular housing is to buy a complete new light. Lots of styles available. For example:
                Cheap light led, Buy Quality light led light directly from China ebike light Suppliers: Universal Voltage 12-80V Wu xing Headlight Frontlight LED light with horn and Speaker Electric Scooter Ebike Accessories

Comment

Finally with the eccentric adapters. I mounted the lamp. Lights will be probably wired to be powered by the bike's battery. Battery - Step down converter - Lamps.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I had a flat and since I needed enough room to turn the bike upside down I brought it in the apartment. Then it sat there for two weeks until finally the new fenders arrived and I felt obliged to do some work. The tube was quickly replaced and then I finally got the fenders installed, I liked the look with the small rear fender and the naked front tire, but I had a few rides in the rain and fenders are a necessity. I don't much like the chainguard, becuse is bent and rusty, but in the end is a part of the bike and I think it should be mounted as well.
                    Unfortunately I don't have outdoor pics for now, because it was getting dark anyway. Instead I rode my other bike, (which I bought for my wife who didn't really like it so it is mine now). It is what I ride to the supermarket because it is very light and easy to get out of the cellar, unlike the heavy Felt with its wide bars. I had planned from the very beginning to mount a BBS01 on it, which is the only logical thing to do since I bought it in the first place because it has a 7-speed Shimano hub.

Comment

I think I will mount the display on the tank, I have to fabricate some casing though.

Comment

Nope, I got a better idea. I will mount it on the front lamp, on the lamp mounts to be precise. I made a simple mock up, this is the basic concept, display on top of the lamp and the switch on the side. Really simple indeed, I won't even have to put the lamp higher.

Comment

Working...
                        X