Diamondback Recoil Comp - BBS02 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diamondback Recoil Comp - BBS02 Build

Just joined the forums and wanted to start off by posting some photos of my latest build since I haven't seen too many Diamondback Recoils turned into electric bikes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180112_152056.jpg
Views:	2169
Size:	1.59 MB
ID:	55570

Specs:
    • Diamondback Recoil Comp ($1000 from Amazon)
    • Bafang BBS02 750W motor ($450 from eBay)
    • Backpack battery (48v 12ah) with XT90 plug ($250 from eBay)
    • Hydraulic brake sensors ($25 from Amazon)
    The biggest challenge I had with this bike is the battery. I didn't really want a backpack battery but there are no good places to mount one on the bike. I am thinking of trying out Luna Cycle's mini cube batteries and mounting a couple of them on a top tube saddle bag like this user did but I am not sure if that is the best option. Suggestions are welcome from those of you with dual suspension electric mountain bikes. Also the Bafang BBS02 barely fit as the bottom bracket on this bike is right at the 73mm limit.

So far I like the setup. Nice suspension and fairly light for an electric bike. I am going to upgrade the chainring next. I may eventually go for a BBSHD when I kill this motor (I already have about 300 miles on the motor from the previous bike build). Let me know if you have any other suggestions for improvement!

Here are some other photos from the build:

Name:	20180112_152125.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	55571
    Plug runs up through the seat.

Name:	20180112_152152.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	55572
    Battery goes inside of a backpack

Name:	20180112_152204.jpg
Views:	524
Size:	2.12 MB
ID:	55573
    Cord comes through the backpack and I used a retractable keychain to pull the cord away from my rear tire when I am sitting

Name:	20180112_152111.jpg
Views:	546
Size:	1.37 MB
ID:	55574

That retractable keychain is genius.

Really nice looking build.
    Fabrication is fun! Build something today. Show someone. Let them help. Inspire and share. Spread the desire.

Comment

Seatpost mounted rack maybe?

Robert

Comment

Originally posted by Robert62 View Post
        Seatpost mounted rack maybe?

Robert
        Thanks, I have thought of that but I am afraid it will significantly throw the balance off. I am already doing wheelies in first gear, I think I need the weight a little more forward.

Comment

Keep the CG of the battery as far as possible in front of the rear axle and it will be fine. I think it would be better than a backpack.
          R

Comment

Here's a video of it in action: https://vimeo.com/256336352

Comment

I am currently thinking of putting a mid drive on my diamondback recoil comp. I was wondering if you had some advice. I am debating between the bbs02 and bbshd. Might I have trouble with the larger bbshd motor? Any reason to go with a 48v instead of spending a little more on the 52v battery pack? I am mostly concerned with the reliability factor which is why I'm hesitant on just getting the bbs02. The shark battery pack I'm looking at might fit on the underneath of the bottom tube.

Comment

Originally posted by Raynman View Post
                I am currently thinking of putting a mid drive on my diamondback recoil comp. I was wondering if you had some advice. I am debating between the bbs02 and bbshd. Might I have trouble with the larger bbshd motor? Any reason to go with a 48v instead of spending a little more on the 52v battery pack? I am mostly concerned with the reliability factor which is why I'm hesitant on just getting the bbs02. The shark battery pack I'm looking at might fit on the underneath of the bottom tube.
                I wouldn't run anything more powerful than the BBS02. I've ripped off the derailleur twice due to the torque of the BBS02. Let me know if that shark battery fits.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrich View Post

I wouldn't run anything more powerful than the BBS02. I've ripped off the derailleur twice due to the torque of the BBS02. Let me know if that shark battery fits.
                  Sorry to pester you, but was wondering, what chainring you running? I am considering the stock 44 or the mighty min 30t.

Comment

Nicely done, though I'm not a fan of using a backpack.
                    Trek Roscoe w/ BBS02, mt wheels, conti 700c tyres

Comment

Sorry to pester you, but was wondering, what chainring you running? I am considering the stock 44 or the mighty min 30t.
                      Sorry, I don't visit this forum often. It's the 44t. Works fine, but I bet the 30t would be a dream for torque.

Comment

I have a Diamondback Recoil 29er and am considering the same. Did you ever build yours and if so can you share the details? [I realize this is an 18-month old thread.]

Comment

I would go with the BBHD , that is what I am running on a GT Aggressor pro that I costumed built from the bare frame up . The "HD" in " BBHD" stands for heavy duty , stronger parts then the BBS02 and more torque , which You will appreciate on those long uphill climbs .
                          I saw one commenting on the derailleur ripping off ,
                          I have never seen that in my experience BUT when I built my bike I cherry picked premium parts and converted my bike from a cheepo 8 speed to a full Shimano 9 speed derailleur , cassette , and shifter
                          I went with the lekkie 42T bling ring with a heavy duty 12-36 t cassette
                          Last edited by brothergc; 07-23-2020, 04:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                          X