Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Black Mamba - a Salsa Bucksaw killer ebike..

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Black Mamba - a Salsa Bucksaw killer ebike..

I started out wanting to construct this Monster from the Orange Red Carbon Framed Salsa Bucksaw with the X01 build. Its an out and out Top of the Line 30 lb. Fat bike. So what did I do, I searched and searched until I found a used one in excellent condition, paid for it and had it shipped to my home. What I did not do was homework, not nearly enough. The BB on the carbon frames will not allow a BBSXX to fit. Damn (insert more dramatic curse word here please). So, what do I do?

Go back to the drawing board. I then started looking for another Bucksaw with an Aluminum frame. The thing is, the model I was finding was the sickly pale blue, almost throw-up colored frame (yeah, a bit dramatic but if you know the color, you know it is horrible) Its their most recent color and it is HIDEOUS! No Way I was going to go that route. After more searching, I found a BRAND NEW Salsa Bucksaw, last years model, in Black. Not as sweet as the orange/red carbon but nice, nice, nice.

Now, onto the build.

So I have the BBSHD and a Ludicrous Controller, the Wolf Pack 50 Amp Continuous Battery (x2), Whiskey Carbon Rims, SRAM RS Hydraulics, SRAM RS Derailleur and Shifter, RockShox Dropper Post with WTB seat, Bluto Front Forks and Monarch rear shock (100mm travel for each), Raceface handlebars and headset,
    a JBL speaker for tunes and front and rear lights if I am out after dark.

I WAS READY!!!

You can check the pictures that will explain what I did to get the build underway. The battery mount was easy, just added 2 rivnuts but shaving the BB took a bit of work.

After that, it was just putting it all together and cleaning up the wiring.
    first I h ad to remove the upper cable mounts.  I cut them off with a hacksaw and then polished them down with the wire drill attachment. finished up fairly clean. then I had to remove one of the three mounts on the chain ring side of the bottom bracket to get the BBSHD to have clearance.  Once again, I cut it off with a hacksaw by hand. this is after it was removed. then I polished it up with the wire drill attachment
    Last edited by Copa Joe; 2 weeks ago.

Here is the Black Mamba, finished and out in my hood. Later this week I will take it out to the real trails where the locals go.

Final thoughts, its everything I was expecting. Powerful as can be, more torque than I expected, fast, smooth, strong, graceful and fun, fun, fun!!!!!

Let me know if you have any questions and enjoy!

Comment

Nice work, is that a buick hiding in the background?

Comment

65 Lincoln convertible with the suicide doors...

Comment

Great build! I'm looking to do (nearly) the exact same - but in heinous blue!

A few questions, if you could help:
          120mm BBSHD, correct?

The BB is listed as 121mm - did you order the PF41 adapter like this one: https://lunacycle.com/pf41-bb-adapte...mm-120mm-73mm/

If so, did you specify 121mm or 120mm for its length (apparently Luna cuts these to request)?

What amount of spacing did you need to add to the drive side of the BBSHD? the other side?

Looks like you used the Lekkie 42T - how is the chain line? do all gears feel solid? Do you feel that you have enough low gear to climb nearly as stock?

Any concerns regarding the torque the motor places on the (aluminum) bike - particularly suspension?

Did you use the brake sensors?

Did you use the shift sensor?

Any issues with the length of the wiring?

I greatly appreciate any guidance offered!

Thanks,

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by MDuncan View Post
            Great build! I'm looking to do (nearly) the exact same - but in heinous blue!

A few questions, if you could help:
            120mm BBSHD, correct?

The BB is listed as 121mm - did you order the PF41 adapter like this one: https://lunacycle.com/pf41-bb-adapte...mm-120mm-73mm/
            - that is correct, a PF41, I needed to sand it down quite a bit to get it to fit. I used some emery cloth get it to the correct size then went to some 200 grit wet paper to clean it up and added a bit of oil over the outside of the PF41 and it went in with only using hand force. (no hammer)

If so, did you specify 121mm or 120mm for its length (apparently Luna cuts these to request)?
            - 120mm

What amount of spacing did you need to add to the drive side of the BBSHD? the other side?
            - zero spacers. it fit perfectly but your results may vary! check it once or twice to be sure.

Looks like you used the Lekkie 42T - how is the chain line? do all gears feel solid? Do you feel that you have enough low gear to climb nearly as stock?
            - by far the best chain ring. it does not hit the chain stay and is offset to get you the best chain line.

Any concerns regarding the torque the motor places on the (aluminum) bike - particularly suspension?
            - no concerns but you never know! I also will be installing the ludicrous controller shortly which will even increase the torque
            I also picked up a Rohloff Speed hub XL, it is getting installed next week.

Did you use the brake sensors?
            - No, I have them and may or may not install them.

Did you use the shift sensor?
            - the salsa bucksaw really has no place to install it. what I do is stop pedaling (or thumb throttling) until the BBSHD turns off, which takes less than a second, switch gears and then pedal slowly to change the gears. Works fine. We shall see what is the best way to shift with the Rohloff after it is installed.

Any issues with the length of the wiring?
            - there is plenty of length if you do not mind the group of 4 wires at the headset but I want the group of 4 way below the handlebars so I got extension cables for both the throttle and power button thing so I can drop the wire bunch lower (below the battery)

I greatly appreciate any guidance offered!

Thanks,

Mike

Check above, I put the answers next to the questions.

Also, I cut off only one of the 3 mounts on the chain ring side to get the motor to fit, looking back, it would have been better to have done 2 (you will see which ones) I would have ground them down a bit more as well to give the motor just a bit more clearance. Definitely would have helped out and made things easier.

any other questions during the build, hit me up
            Last edited by Copa Joe; 1 week ago.

Comment

another thing. I have an 11 speed cassette. the chain gets too tight to get all the way into the highest gear (speed 1 I guess) so when I dialed in the derailleur, I just took that one out of the loop. its not needed at all and once again, the whole rear cassette will be yanked next week when the Rohloff gets installed.

oh, and sorry about the mean comments on your salsa's bike color! haha
              Last edited by Copa Joe; 1 week ago.

Comment

I’m thinking of doing a similar build to my Salsa Beargrease with a PF41 & trying to decide between the Luna 120mm pressfit adapter or the Empowered Cycles version. How much material did you have to take off of the Luna with the Emory cloth? Did you do it by hand?

Comment

Originally posted by Fishwater View Post
                  I’m thinking of doing a similar build to my Salsa Beargrease with a PF41 & trying to decide between the Luna 120mm pressfit adapter or the Empowered Cycles version. How much material did you have to take off of the Luna with the Emory cloth? Did you do it by hand?
                  yes, I did it by hand. took me almost an hour of sanding but if I started with the emery cloth which was rougher than the wet paper (that I originally started with) I probably would have finished it in half the time. The cost of the PF41 from Luna is 1/2 the cost of Empowered but either will work for the job at hand.

Comment

I'm the one who asked you a couple questions on FEB on this bike just a couple days ago... Really appreciate your insight and photos on this. Pretty much tells me everything I need to know. Even what its going to take for the WolfPack, although I must confess I know bupkis about installing new bottle bosses in the frame.

I think the new blue Salsa is using is officially known as Barf Blue and I hate it... but I really do like the electric blue that the alloy frames used and I kind of have my eye on one in Large thats on the market right now.

Comment

I love the thought of a full suspension fat ebike. I'm starting with my Beargrease but may keep an eye open for a Bucksaw some day.

Comment

Originally posted by MoneyPit View Post
                        I'm the one who asked you a couple questions on FEB on this bike just a couple days ago... Really appreciate your insight and photos on this. Pretty much tells me everything I need to know. Even what its going to take for the WolfPack, although I must confess I know bupkis about installing new bottle bosses in the frame.

I think the new blue Salsa is using is officially known as Barf Blue and I hate it... but I really do like the electric blue that the alloy frames used and I kind of have my eye on one in Large thats on the market right now.
                        I knew nothing about installing a rivnut before a couple of links to some youtube videos showed me how. find the diameter of the rivnut and purchase the matching drill bit that is used to make the hole. if you do not have a right angle drill (to fit in the triangle) you can purchase an 90 degree drill adapter at Home Depot like I did. it fits into an existing drill.

Comment

Working...
                        X