Help please, 36v to 12v light wiring,

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help please, 36v to 12v light wiring,

hi guys, i need some help to confirm how i have wired up my lighting. Im at the point of finishing up all my electrics, i purchased a 36v to 12v converter. And LED flasher off fleabay. Check out my wire diagram and let me know if everything seems ok.
    I have connected the voltage converter to the output side of the fuse , BUT i will change that to the switch + out, so the converter it not live all the time, small mistake,
    my question is... has anyone used this type of converter to power the lighting and is it a good or bad idea?

Using an led tail light and led ring for the headlight, both and flashing while in use. And switched on the 12v side

Comment

Hi, I asked an electrician a while ago about it and he told me to leave it be, since it would take away battery power. Said he wouldn't connect it to the battery, but rather use an external source. I don't know whether true or false.
      Kind regards.

Comment

Originally posted by toro1978 View Post
        Hi, I asked an electrician a while ago about it and he told me to leave it be, since it would take away battery power. Said he wouldn't connect it to the battery, but rather use an external source. I don't know whether true or false.
        Kind regards.
        Ok, thanks, i thought as it was only powering 2 LED lights there would be minimal draw, it depends on how much energy is required by the converter to do its job

Comment

The draw from your lighting is most likely negligible so I wouldn't think that's a valid concern

Comment

• CoopV2
            CoopV2 commented
            Editing a comment
            My thoughts too, thanks for your input pax

If you aint lit, you aint sh*t.

Comment

Updated drawing if anyone else needs it. Can now turn off the supply to the converter, has its own fuse, and main switch also cuts it completely .

Comment

Originally posted by CoopV2 View Post
              Updated drawing if anyone else needs it. Can now turn off the supply to the converter, has its own fuse, and main switch also cuts it completely .
              It would be much easier to string three 12v lights in a series. If the horn is 12v also, you may try to wire it in parallel with one of the 12v lights in the series. You might get a sound out of the horn, and you might not, depending on the design of the funnel. It won’t hurt it to try, though. The light in parallel will likely dim when you push the horn, and the other two will probably get brighter, but who cares? I had the same problem, but I found on this site https://gordonpowers.com.au/inner-north/ explanations of how I should, and I succeeded. Thanks a lot for the sketches. Next time I will need them.
              Last edited by Tarnished; 06-17-2021, 12:26 AM.

Comment

I thought about doing a setup like that but in the end went with a son Dynamo front hub. I already have a b&m front and rear light that works off of that so I'm just going to switch it over. The other thing is some batteries have a USB output and you could use that to power your light? Would be a lot simpler if you could do it that way.

Comment

Working...
                X