Surly Ogre with Luna/Bafang 750w mid drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Surly Ogre with Luna/Bafang 750w mid drive

My first eBike, set up for riding forest roads and less technical trails around Prescott, AZ. Tons of hills here, where the climbing power will be handy. I may attempt some out and back overnights, hanging some storage on this very utilitarian frameset.

First test ride delivered over 40 mph on flats, over 20 on a steep paved climb, and fun on singletrack. The throttle is too sensitive, when power comes on suddenly, or by mistake, riding in rock gardens and technical terrain, when the finesse of pedal power is preferable.

Surly Ogre, Large, with Surly rigid fork
    Designed as a pavement, gravel and singletrack beast of burden
    Cromoly steel, tig welded, plenty of accessory mounts
    Horizontal dropouts, Rohloff disc tab

Luna Bafang BBSHD 750W Motor Kit with Luna DPC-18 color display
    Luna 52V Shark Battery 13.5 amp hr
    Luna 52V 300W Charger
    Luna Eclipse offset 42 tooth chain ring, 16 tooth rear cog, 2.625:1 ratio, Connex chain
    Single speed chain drive, with Rohloff 14 speed internal hub on rear

Cane Creek headset
    Brooks saddle
    Race Face seat post
    3T Extendo Pro aluminum bar 12 Degree sweep
    Origin8 Pro Pulsion stem
    Flat pedals

Avid mechanical disc brakes BB7 Road with Bafang electric motor disconnect levers
    180 mm rotor front, 160 mm rotor rear

Stans Flow MK3 29" Rims 29mm width (black 32 hole, with black spokes)
    Maxxis Ardent 2.4" tires front & rear, tubeless, and hope hub on front

48 lbs, dripping wet
    Last edited by PedalAZ; 06-09-2018, 07:23 AM.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Hi Pedal AZ. I’m very impressed with your first build project. I’v been thinking about a chromoly 29er MTB for my next build and your build is certainly providing inspiration. Probably knowing the answer, but why did you choose the molly frame for the doner bike. Also Interesting front fork set. No suspension up front.? Looks like quality and well engineered. I’d like to hear how it all works when you get some miles under the tyres in AZ.

Comment

The Rohloff hub is a dream. Heavy, but the shifting is really solid, smooth, and quiet, with tremendous gear range.
            Last edited by PedalAZ; 06-08-2018, 06:22 PM.

Comment

• Hard Tail
              Hard Tail commented
              Editing a comment
              Just been reading up on Rohloff hubs. Think I want one. You’ll have to write a ride article for us. That’s really a no expense spared project you’ve put together there.

Very nice ebike! Your Rohloff makes me jealous. I want to upgrade to one someday, but will have to sell off one of my ebikes to do it. Just got my Surly ECR pedaling today, but the left crank arm is too close to the rear stay for comfort. How is your left crank arm clearance on the Ogre?

That looks like a BBSHD 1000W mid-drive to me, not a BBS02 750W. Typo or did you really think it was a BBS02?

I like your thought regarding weekend overnight trips. Hoping to do a few on my ECR, possibly fishing weekends in the eastern Seirras.
            MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
            2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
            2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

Sorry, my bad, yes, a BBHD motor, with the 750 w programming.

Comment

• Rider
                Rider commented
                Editing a comment
                Awe, that’s a great setup!

What BB width BBSHD did you use and can you post a picture of the left side crank arm clearance. Thanks.
              MOVING BACK TO PEDAL...
              2020 Banshee Paradox V3 1x11 (pedal)
              2018 Soma Wolverine 3spd IGH Belt Drive (pedal)

Comment

The bike frame has a 73mm bottom bracket. Here is a photo of the left side clearance, as requested.

Comment

• ncmired
                  ncmired commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Another great Surly build you have there, PedalAZ.

I think Rider would like a picture showing the clearance between the crank arm and the outside-left chain stay, if you can post one.

Another question - did you incorporate a shift sensor?
                  Last edited by ncmired; 06-09-2018, 11:22 AM.

I was more concerned about the drive side chainring clearance, while maintaining a good chainline, than clearance on the non drive side. Here are pics of both chainstay clearances.

Comment

• Rider
                  Rider commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thank you. Looks like the Orge can take larger chain rings and has narrower rear frame than the ECR that can take 29+. It also appears 68-73mm BBSHD fits the BB fine; including the lock but. Very clean!
                  Last edited by Rider; 06-10-2018, 04:14 AM.

Hi PedalAZ, just a question about your Surly Ogre build. Like you said, The Ogre has a 73mm bottom bracket size, just wondering which BBSHD size did you use, the 68-73mm standard, or the Fat 73-100mm? Great looking bike!!
                Thanks

Comment

• PedalAZ
                  PedalAZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The smaller standard size

PedalAZ I'm in the process of building out a Surly Ogre frameset and came across this post during my Googling. Are you still riding your Ogre build? How is it going? Any long-term review?

Comment

• 73Eldo
                  73Eldo commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pedal hasn't been on the forum since that post last year so we will have to see if he still has notifications turned on. I started out with a Pugsley with 29's and the stock fats but it was such a hassle swapping I wanted to just build a 29 bike for the streets and I was thinking the Ogre would really fit the bill but there were just none to be found last fall. I like the bike I ended up building but every time I ride my Surly I do wonder how much nicer having 2 Surlys would be.

• PedalAZ
                  PedalAZ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Sorry haven't been on this site for a while. I still have the bike, but don't ride it often. It is fairly heavy between the big battery, motor and the internal hub. It rides great on roads, gravel, and non-technical singletrack.

I too have a surly ogre. The frame size was a little too big for me although I wanted it larger for the larger internal triangle. That with a older Cane Creek thud buster 3G seat post made me feel too high and unbalanced on the bike. When I rode with Big Apple tires I didn't feel like I needed a front suspension fork but when I switched over to smaller thinner tires for durability I no longer had that floatiness bigger tires give you. Which is why I'm switching over to a ventana El Gordo fat bike with 4-in tires on sunringle mulefut 80 mm rims.
                Do you not ride the bike because it's big and heavy or do you not ride the bike cuz you don't have time for it? When I first built my surly I rode all the time but gradually that seemed to go away.
                I was living in Corpus Christi Texas and it wasn't a safe place to ride bikes in my opinion had too many close calls with automobiles. Then we had a couple bikers get killed in the town and I stopped riding. I was comfortable riding about 10 miles per hour. But anything faster than that was hard work on that bike. My new bike will have a roloff internal gear hub in the rear and the bbshd up front.
                I thought about getting a trike but the complexities of storing it and the lowness to the road made me rethink that. For what I'm paying to get this El Gordo built I could have as easily gotten a full suspension E trike. Time will tell.

Comment

Working...
                X